Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-18-2004, 09:47 AM   #71
ErricZ
Registered Member

Default Re: Earth to BMW4VWW

Nice trolling, loser. Is it the epitome of "cool" in your world to get knocked in the MO reviews now? Or don't you think it would be "cooler" to be invited to the rides? Hmmm ... try intelligently thinking before ignorantly posting ...
ErricZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2004, 10:03 AM   #72
SuperBill
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 BMW R 1200 GS

Ten years ago my I rented an R1100GS from Alaska Motorcycle Adventures (http://www.rentalaska.com/), and my wife and I headed out for ten days of quality Alaska time. The GS was the perfect tool for the job! We probably tipped the scales at half a ton two up will all of our crap, and the bike performed like a champ. Well mannered and comfortable on asphalt, and equally at home on good dirt roads – no problem at 50 to 60 mph on the 140 mile long dirt/gravel Denali highway. Even OK on the tricky stuff, like a slick bedrock trail up a steep hill to a microwave tower – plenty of torque down low where you need it and no bad habits.

It was no dirtbike, but then a dirtbike canÂ’t do 100 mph two-up on asphalt with ten days worth of kit, either. The big GS is a wonderful, versatile machine for two-up riders that like to ride to the dirt and on the dirt on the same machine. Looks like the new Hex-Head continues the tradition while taking the technology up a notch or two.

Great article, Sean. Thanks.

By the way, I canÂ’t say enough good things about Alaska Motorcycle Adventures and the owner, Keith Hull. Keith gave us tips on where to stay, what to see, and where to ride. He hooked us up with a bed and breakfast near the Anchorage airport, where he met us with the motorcycle. Nothing but class and excellent service. If you want to ride Alaska but canÂ’t budget the time to ride out there and back, this is definitely the way to go.

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:15 AM   #73
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default The frightening thing is.....

He does think before he posts!

Scary, isn't it?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:32 PM   #75
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: SUV bikes are great streetbikes...

Having put 12k miles on a KLR 650 and 26k on my k12rs I'm dying to cram the two together.

I loved the handling of the KLR with street rubber, fork springs and better brakes. Something about the free fall feeling as you throw it into a tight turn was addicting. When the going got tight my sport bike buddys would vanish from the violently shaking mirrors. Dirt in the road, no problem. Pop up, throw a leg out and flat track it through. Potholes? Heck, aim for em. Only once the going got straight the KLR was left to wobble down the slab with the throttle pinned dissappearing rapidly from my buddies mirrors. The narrowish, too soft seat would start butt burn after only 75 miles or so. Two up? Forgetaboutit.

Now I love my K12RS, fits me like a glove and obeys my commands almost telepathically. My wife and I are good for 500+ mile days with the bags packed. Yet on my rides through the Sierra Nevada's or the Coastal range I really miss the ability to find out where that dirt road goes or pack up the tent and go to my favorite off the beaten path campsites and hiking trails. (ok its a run on sentance, get over it) Most of which are triple digits away from home on the odometer.

The big trailies like the GS, KTM, Tiger, Vstrom, Multistrada, Cagiva, Aprilia (same bike?) etc give you a key to motorcycling nirvana. You have various flavors of on road / off road capabilites, comfy ergos 1 or 2 up and good touring abilites. Plenty of power and more street smarts than most of us are capable of. If you dont like the looks, cool. But dont turn up your nose without experiancing one first, I'll bet you'd be grinning for days after a test ride.

Oh and Kpaul memorize this sequence: Live, Learn, Speak.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 04:32 PM   #76
julian
Founding Member

Default Re: click here

David Rob wouldn't allow it to be that ugly

Julian
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 08:16 AM   #77
SRMark
Founding Member

I doubt that I would have three times the fun on the 1200 GS that I would have on a KLR650. That said, I think this is a big step forward for BMW. I like the looks but I don't know if my back would stand the strain of picking it up when I dumped it on the trail. I guess you better practice the buddy system with that beast.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 09:55 AM   #78
SRMark
Founding Member

I tend to look for techno improvements that make a bike more rideable and less labor intense. I specifically look for hydraulic valve adjustment and shaft drive. And I like screw and locknut adjusters on dirt bikes. Sure, they go out of adjustment but it takes 15 minutes to adjust them. I also tend to like 4 strokes with two valves per cylinder versus 4. I don't ride that fast so it's no big deal that I lose a bit of power. It's getting to the point where there aren't many of those old beasts around.

The shim/bucket valves on my ST1100, on the other hand, never seem to need adjustment and thank God for that. That bike is one complex pile of parts. It can be ignored and still run forever though.

Back to dirt bikes; the Gdamn water pumps are always taking a whack, even with skidplates in place. Give me aircooling in the rocks.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 06:48 AM   #79
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Well, the pictures I've seen suggest it was throughly beaten with the ugly stick.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:21 AM   #80
wrietze
Registered Member

Default Re: SUV bikes are great streetbikes...

just wait a little while and get one without the ABS....save a couple of grand!
wrietze is offline   Reply With Quote