Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-17-2004, 02:45 PM   #61
Jexter
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 BMW R 1200 GS

Actually, Suzuki never actually says that you should take the v-strom off the pavement. I dunno if they exactly say that you shouldn't, but I don't think it was designed for it.
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2004, 05:49 PM   #62
pushrod
Founding Member

Hey Sean,

Noticed some guy named Parks on the byline, and he's never mentioned in the writeup.

Whadja do, bivouac at the Parks Outpost, Offroad Emporium and Scooter Learnin' Center?

Tell him he still owes me a dinner!

Good writeup for a bike we have little use for here in Baja 'Bama. Same as sport bikes. No hills, no corners, all the land is privately held. Woe is us.

Keep up the good work!

Steve

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:55 PM   #63
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

That looks and sounds like it would rule on your trip to Alaska. Get the head protectors.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 07:14 PM   #64
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Uhh, not quite...

The big advantage of the GS is the ABS option.

Otherwise, the thing is SOOO expensive when compared with other options. When the VStrom Thou or Tiger is $9k (and the VStrom 650 only $7k), that extra 6k-8k can buy a LOT of vacation time.

You can buy matching His and Her's VStrom 650 for the price of one GS bimmer.

Which is a pitty because I'd love to have a GS (I love my GF's VStrom 650, and having a no-hastle shaft drive and ABS would be really nice for my commute), but I just can't justify the obscene pricetag for the propeller logo.
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 07:30 PM   #65
nweaver
Founding Member

Default SUV bikes are great streetbikes...

Unlike SUV cars, SUV bikes have both sport and utility. For shreading pothole-infested streets, crappy backroads, and blazing down the freeway, one up or two, those long-travel SUV bikes are pretty nice.

True, they are compromises, but they are damn good compromises: almost as comfy as a goldwing, and (although slower than a sportbike) still pretty good on the backroads.

Too bad the GS costs >2x the VStrom. True, having shaft drive and better offroad ability would be nice (and I really want ABS on more affordable bikes), but the price is just OOOOWWWCHHH!!!
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 06:22 AM   #69
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah.... great review, but was the sidestand cool?
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:27 AM   #70
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default IMHO

I've riden afew BMW's and have this to say about the turn signals.

I hate them!

Maybe there is something to be said for left hand-left signal, right hand-right signal from an in-experienced riders perspective, but I don't see a reason to add additional responsibility to the throttle/front brake hand. The left hand is often bored on a trip, and the additional duty of the right signal breaks up it's boredom ; )

If you like them, all's well and good for you. For me I'll take a pass. As another way to look at it, if your car had a turn signal stalk on both sides of the steering wheel (left for left, right for right) would you prefer that?

Still a pretty nifty bike all things considered. Still pricey for a beefed up dual sport
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote