Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-15-2004, 07:03 AM   #11
ender
Registered Member

Default "Intuitive Turn Signals"

I think this might be the first time a mainstream pub had an article that DIDN'T complain about the turn signals. Must be a new sign of objectivity...
ender is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2004, 07:05 AM   #12
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 BMW R 1200 GS

Hmm, definitely quirky, but not bad looking either.

Nice job, boys.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 07:53 AM   #13
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re:

I really like BMW's big bike turn signals. Once you get used to them, they are very intuitive and unobtrusive. Their "standard" type turn signals on the 650s are all screwed-up though.
Old 05-15-2004, 07:59 AM   #14
chrisblu
Registered Member

Have just completed the 1st 1000km inspection and really like the GS. Rode my 97 R1100R (which I quite liked ) for a few miles the other day and it now feels like a truck. The GS is larger, higher at the inseam but feels lighter and definitly more agile. Huge inprovement in the transmission and clutch and the very anoying vibration (the biggest reason why I wanted a new / different bike) over about 4500 rpm appears to be significantly reduced (haven't gone over 5000 rpm yet as am still breaking in). Got 410 km on my second tank of gas - to empty - the gas gage wasn't working leaving me stranded on the freeway - seems the arm on the float was bent wrong and the float got hung up on the side of the tank.

They have done a tremendous job on the bike and my biggest ***** to date is that the BMW logos are snapped into the plastic on each side of the tank and would not survive an hour while parked in any urban environment - why didn't they mould them into the plastic so as not to attract little fingers. Have already removed mine and will replace when I sell the bike. Guess it's good for th parts business. they will probably cost 30$ each for 3 $ worth of plastic.

Calgary Canada
chrisblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 10:56 AM   #15
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Enjoyed the review. Well done.

Is that your fiancée in pics 47 & 48? Congratulations on your engagement.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 11:00 AM   #16
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default brakes with the engine off

With the engine off, you still have plenty of braking power, but the brake lever has to travel a greater distance before the brakes actually grab.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 11:24 AM   #17
saddlebag
Registered Member

>It is now good enough that I would need to do a >back-to-back comparison test, to determine the >best all-around bike between an R 1200GS, V->Strom, Tiger, and 950 Adventure. Hmmm.... >Perhaps a grand MO comparo / adventure tour is >in order!

WTF? Ducati snub you guys? Ever hear of a Multistrada?
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 11:26 AM   #18
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Nope, the girl in pics 47 and 48 is "Charlie" a press cordinator for BMW's events group. She was gracious enough to play "model" for me, because I figured it would make a few of the detail shots more interesting.

Charlie is pretty, however, my finace' Natalie is one of the most beautiful girls I've ever seen. She loves motorcycles too, so I'll probably have a pic or two of Natalie in an upcoming product review or bike test. -Sean
Old 05-15-2004, 01:02 PM   #19
unpaved313
Founding Member

I'm getting a serious case of motolust for one of these things. Too many bent wheels on the pothole-infested roads in the northeast for the sportbikes I've been riding lately (4 in the last 5 years). This just might be the ticket.

Thanks for a great article, and congrats on the engagement! Bring on the comparo!
Old 05-15-2004, 02:12 PM   #20
F451
Founding Member

As soon as one comes into the two BMW dealers near my house they are sold. If the refinement of this model is a precursor to all their new models to be released, BMW has substantially changed everything about they think and build motorcycles.

Maybe you can find some vinyl BMW decals to apply in the original emblem locations?
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote