Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-08-2004, 08:28 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: How To Change Your Own Tires

The latteheads have taken over Moab. The embarassing thing about that is that the bicycles, which have to drag their brakes all the time on the slick rock trails, have caused more erosion in 5 years than decades of motorcycles did. So they have to get reservations now because the amount of riders is severely limited. Heh heh.

The magic phrase in Utah is "BLM land". Unless it's posted as a wilderness study area you can ride anywhere. Something like half the State is BLM land. You can camp on it, drive your Jeep, blast away at targets to your heart's content, dance nekkid around the campfire or stand on a big rock during a thunderstorm and shout, "I am the god of hellfire!"

Just remember that Utah sucks. So Californians shouldn't move here. That pernicious Mormon influence has resulted in such horrible atrocities as a balanced State budget and a low crime rate. Dang those evil religious fanatics.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2004, 08:35 AM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

If he's intersted in non-Japanese brands Salt Lake BMW/Triumph is an okay place. It has a bit of the holier-than-thou BMW owner's disease that afflicts some owners. But all in all not a bad place. Accessories are NOT discounted there though. I can get a number for a guy in North Ogden named Doug who deals in used Beemers. A friend of mine, who has two K75s swears by the guy.

Salt Lake HD on State St is a pretty good dealership also. If the guy is interested in Harleys.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:31 AM   #23
aknopak
Founding Member

Ah, that's a shame... Fortunately it's probably barely noticeable on the bike.
aknopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 11:54 AM   #24
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Hold on just a minute. There are probably more fanatical LDS up here than down in your neck of the woods and we don't have a balanced state budget. How'd we get gyped???

sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 02:59 PM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

All those white supremacist wackos around

Coeur d' Alene cause the State to tilt. Then the flood of Mormons who drive to Tremonton to buy raffle tickets cause it to buckle. You'll never balance it.

Old 05-09-2004, 07:17 AM   #26
crackerdaddy
Founding Member

One tip for the Harbor Freight stand- buy some "Plastidip" at the hardware store and coat the clamps with about 5 layers of the stuff.

I did it to mine and it grips much better and will not scratch the rims at all- much better than using tape.

Unlike most people, I use the bigass prybar (instead of tire irons) that came with it with good results. You just have to be VERY CAREFUL with it and really watch the rotors on the front.
crackerdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 01:09 PM   #27
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

That's true enough. I was riding down through Preston a while back (just north of the UT border) when the Powerball jackpot was up there and there were at least 300 people lined up outside of every c-store and gas station within 30 miles of the UT border. Must be painful trying to pay for college for 12 kids.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:22 PM   #28
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I agree with you on the rubber dip -- although gaff tape is much higher quality than the duct tape you are perhaps referring to and is much cheaper than the rubber dip.

On the "bigass prybar" I must respectfully disagree. I should point out to our readers that this bar comes with the manual tire changer, not the motorcycle stand. This bar is long enough to allow one to easily supply several hundred foot pounds of torque to a rim. And since the bar is tubular in cross-section all of this force will be concentrated in a small (1/4 inch or less) area of the rim wall which is enough to insure damage. In that regard it is potentially a greater implement of destruction than most automotive tire irons which have flat faces on their sides. It's also much more rigid than motorcycle tire irons which simply bend when you supply too much force. Combine these factors and it's just too easy to have an accident even when you are trying hard to be very careful.

I am sure that you are a very experienced and knowledgeable person -- you certainly sound like you know what you are talking about, but personally I still wouldn't recommend anything other than motorcycle tire irons for removing motorcycle tires from rims.

sbp
Old 05-10-2004, 05:05 AM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

I know where Preston is! The ride from Logan via Bear Lake to Preston is great fun. Except for the giant grasshoppers.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:08 AM   #30
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Aermacchi?

Or Harley Baja 100?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote