Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-25-2004, 04:13 AM   #51
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Open Class Shootout

Very good review. Why are there no comments from the other testers? Are they illiterate or something?

Also, the Triumph spec sheet engine section is clearly incorrect.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2004, 04:35 AM   #52
Pulsar
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph in 8th?

unbelievable that sean went faster on the triumph than the two other 'fast drivers' on the ZX10R/fireblade/almost any other bike. really impressive.

thank you for the great article although i wanted so badly see you guys compare all the fresh open class bikes against the last years suzuki.

a propos power.. i find it really annoying that all manufacturers claim to have way more rwhp than the bikes really have.. this marketing sucks and is needless..like overbidding in topspeed >300km/h.

(in this issue, i hope you put the new 750 gixxer on a dyno as well when you get it in your hands, to see whats left of claimed '148 HP').
Pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 05:16 AM   #53
afm199
Founding Member

I just got back from two days at Streets of Willow on my new CBR1000RR, and your thoughts are similar. It is the best bike I have ever owned ( though it will NEVER get ridden on the street, I vastly prefer my VFR800 for the street). It handles effortlessly, it was easy to get around Streets on, and that is not a wide open fast track, it is Streets. The bike never came close to being even slightly twitchy. It never came close to scaring me (except for the terminal velocity at the end of the front straight) and the few rear end slides were predictable and controllable. I love it.

Ernie
afm199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 05:26 AM   #54
SRMark
Founding Member

My wife conceived and gave birth in less time than it took you folks to bring this test from rumor to completion. However, you done good.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 05:55 AM   #55
JALacroix
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph in 8th?

Mfrs don't list rwhp; they list crankshaft hp. Do they ever overestimate? Probably. Oh, I've seen dyno results of nearly 130 rwhp on the GSX-R750; 148 at the crank souds pretty reasonable to me.
JALacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 05:59 AM   #56
mile_eater
Founding Member

Here's an idea for a test. Put Sean and a steering dampener on the zx-10, and then give the other 7 bikes a 2 second head start at the track. .

My money will be on Sean, even with his meat fist.

Old 04-25-2004, 06:10 AM   #57
meener
Founding Member

Okay, I ride a 955 (and a Daytona 600). I was suprised that it was included in the test, but not at all at the result (i.e. that you ranked it last and yet still want to take it home).

Two questions:

Why'd ya run an '03? There's a lighter '04 out there. No test bike available?

It was mentioned that you didn't fit the race tires due to lack of tools. Was this the only bike handicapped as such on the track? Am I correct that the 'tona was running OEM tires on the track while the others were running Supercorsas on the timed laps?
meener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 06:11 AM   #58
meener
Founding Member

Oh, and mad mad props to Sean for running those lap times with a broken hand. *slaps chest*
meener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 06:44 AM   #59
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: speaking of tire life.........

I'm pretty pissed that the rear D220 I put on a few months ago @12k is showing alot of wear now @ 17K. The one on the front still looks good but I doubt I'll get my usual 10k out of the rear.

The Bandit was about the same weight as the Triumph and I got over 10k on D220's on it, I wonder if they softened the compound again? I might have to relegate them to winter (rain) tires and use Michelin's in the summer or something.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:53 AM   #60
JACIII
Founding Member

Sissies,

Too light and Too fast for ya'? That's why we call them crotch ROCKETS.

Pull your knickers up, boys. Looks like the ZX10 used you for B*****s.

Jim
JACIII is offline   Reply With Quote