Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-01-2004, 10:51 AM   #251
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Re: that's it then

In case you haven't noticed Johnboy.... Sportbike Pilot gets his panties in a wad pretty easily.

You're allowed to have an opinion, as long as you either 1) agree with SBP, or 2) don't share it.

THis comparo was fun, but I knew before I read it if I was spending my money, it would be on the Kawi. The honda just looks clunky to me. I hate the lower on the thing.

As for the R1. Well... I've hated it since it was intro'd. I've never met a yamaha tranny that I liked, and I've never met a yamaha that was easy to work on. No reason to think any of those things would change.

As for your tiff with SBP... I'm sure many of us would've liked to see you show a little less restraint. This board has turned in to butt-kisser's anon.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2004, 03:15 PM   #252
kwh
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Open Class Shootout

Kudos for getting a well put-together (and written) test done in such difficult circumstances.

However, an unkind man would point out that there's possibly a whole other lesson about street riding that doesn't seem to have been clearly learned here.

On the public highway, if you can't stop in the distance you can see to be clear, on your own side of the road, then you are going too fast to be safe, period. Some corners you can see enough to take like you are on the track, most you can't. Yeah, there are sensible places to try turning round, and... less sensible places... but bottom line is, it might not have been a fellow moron trying to turn round that you nearly avoided, it might have been the scene of an earlier accident, a broken down RV, a huge oil slick, a fallen telephone pole or (insert unlikely but very occasionally happens hazard here). Bottom line is, Sean, you broke two motorcycles and your hand, but it could have been your neck or somebody elses. Or that of anybody else who came round the corner at a pace that meant they couldn't stop in the distance they could see to be clear on their own side of the road.

Being 3 seconds a lap faster than anybody else on the track means sh!t if it just ensures you get to arrive at the scene of your own inevitable fatal street accident faster than anybody else would have done.

There's a whole other article lurking here about learning how and when to [or not to] use the performance of 160bhp superbikes on the street without killing yourself or others on the one hand, or riding like a complete ***** on the others,

Cheers,

Ken Haylock
Old 05-01-2004, 03:21 PM   #253
kwh
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Open Class Shootout

The asterisks cover a word that refers to a cat. Who knew that the rude word filter thought p@ssy should censored?
Old 05-02-2004, 07:20 AM   #254
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

JB,

Of course you are allowed an opinion. Not only that but everyone is interested in the opinion of the legendary JB -- and if you'll re-read my post you'll see words to that effect. Perhaps you doubt their sincerity? You should not.

The problem I am having, and if I am any judge of the general sentiment here, others as well, is reconciling your recent sniping and the current incarnation of MO with the the same guy who wrote a couple of the most perfect pieces of moto-literature I have ever read (The piece about riding a bicycle with your small son on the handlebars might have been one of the best things I have ever read anywhere). In fact the same guy who used to rage against MO readers who had pretty much anything to say that he didn't like (including the wrong guy once). Generally emeritus status with a living legend chaser embues a sense of graciousness in the recipeint. So what's the deal man? Hemorrhoids?

Everyone knows that you are the man . I'm quite sure that nearly everyone out there in MO workd is far more interested in what you think about things on this site than what I think about them. That is respect that you have earned that I have not. I'm sure that MO has a ride ready for you anytime you wish to participate. All that I am saying is that if anyone out there ought to have a productive perspective on things like this comparo it would be you, yet you seem more interested in posting like some of the meatheads out there than a person who knows the skinny first-hand. The readers out there who don't know how the wheels turn, god love 'em, are entitled to their ignorance. You are not.

If you want to critiicize me personally, contest the technical merits of our comparison, or even tune us up over the cosmic keystone cops aspect of this whole deal then have at it. Like I said before, it's an imperfect world. But do not accuse us of of being lackeys because the Honda came out on top. That is wrong and you know it. And it is beneath you.

Martin
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:49 AM   #255
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Although I am almost afraid to ask, on what do you base your assertion that Yamaha's are difficult to work on??? I've been turning wrenches on japanese bikes for well over a decade and have rebuilt engines, trannys, suspensions and about every other thing on them, on all makes and models, and in my experience Yamaha's are no more or less difficult than any other japanese bike to work on. I just redid the clutch and both ends of the suspension on my FZR400 this weekend and just got done with an engine rebuild a few months ago. Both were a breeze. Yamaha OEM replacements are of exceptional quality and everything is always within specs when you put a mic on them. The engineering on all japanese bikes with which I am familiar is exceptional and most manufacturers go out of their way to make the majority of their bikes easy to work on. So what's the deal?
Old 05-02-2004, 03:21 PM   #256
sawdustking
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph in 8th?

Did I catch this right, the Trumpet was racing around on the stock Bridgestones (rim protectors) vs. all the rest on Pirelli Diablos, and was still only a couple of seconds off the pace? Is this a testimant to how good the 955 is or how far Bridgestone has come over the last 10 years.
sawdustking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 03:02 AM   #257
aknopak
Founding Member

"I promised myself that I was going to stay out of this"

I think you should have kept that promise.

There's also something as taking your audience too seriously. You all did a very good job, no need to write endless dissertations to convince the people who question it.

Surely you are aware that motorcylce testing is not an exact science?

Lighten up everybody, and keep up the good work!
aknopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 03:45 AM   #258
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

If it makes you feel any better if it were you I would not take it seriously.

sbp
Old 05-03-2004, 09:22 AM   #259
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Open Class Shootout - Those who can't do, *****.

Wau what a looooong and booooring defense against attack that never was.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 09:26 AM   #260
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: I subscribe to several different print mags, the MO review was the best by far.

The fact that there actually are dyno runs aready sets MO apart from many also-run publications.

- cruis-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote