Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-30-2004, 06:04 AM   #231
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Open Class Shootout - Those who can't do, *****.

Hrm. What we have here... is a failure... to communicate.

I said, "take me seriously." The direct object in that sentence is "me" not "Bulletin Board". Do I have to have a class on diagraming sentence structure before you can follow a thought process?

The bulletin board comment is about someone having an emotional reaction to what is posted.

You can't take the subject of one sentence, and then apply it as the direct object of the sentence before it, and then use that to claim faulty logic on my part.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2004, 06:28 AM   #232
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default that's it then

My armchair decision is with the kawasaki. I sat on one at long beach show. Roadracing Whirld, Cyco World, Short Rider all rate it numero uno, sorry. I feel bad about your broken paw and all, but to be honest how fair is it to the bikes to rate them when you're disabled man? I feel you found the bike that's as you admit easiest to ride. Especially in light of how long it's been since Kawasaki had a real winner. It's tiny, it's coolest looking, it's apparently comfortable with a nice short reach to the handlebars. Mount steeering dumper immeidately. But I still rather have a Buell Lightning. Flame on!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 07:11 AM   #233
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: that's it then

I thought the only way you'd get a Buell, is if the Jagrolet died...
Old 04-30-2004, 07:13 AM   #234
johnnyb
Founding Member

probly right, cause the jagrolet refuses to die. HEY! you see where Michael Barnes is 5th in Formula Xcrement practice on a Buell? Bring it...
Old 04-30-2004, 07:14 AM   #235
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Good for you. I'm glad that you feel comfortable declaring your bike of the year without having ridden it (or, apparently, many of the other contenders). What a stud. And I think that you opinion is perfectly valid and valuable. But it's hard for me to see where you are going with this sniping about the Honda coming out on top in our test. Everyone who rode the CBR1000RR agreed that it was either the best or second best bike (by a narrow margin) of the lot in all riding situations and the rest of us did not have broken fingers. Even the testers who did not directly contribute to the written article liked the CBR1000RR.

You could, I suppose, fairly question my credentials (and therefore my vote) for being involved in this test, which is essentially what you've done by impuning myself and all of the other testers who liked the Hondas in both comparos I was there to represent the average experience and abilities of the majority of our sportbike inclined readers. MO thought that would be a valuable perspective. But Mike and Sean, both of stratospheric ability quite on par with anyone else writing about these bikes, pretty much agreed that the big CBR was the tits. Having personally spent two summers and 20K miles on a 954 I feel as qualified as anyone to say that it's light years ahead of it's predecessor. And having ridden all of these bikes I stand by my conclusion that the big Honda, albeit by just a hair, is the best bike of the lot. I'd still be deliriously happy with any of them and if it were my money putting one in the garage it'd be the Triumph.

Oh yeah, and we didn't even discuss our rankings until after we'd finished the test. Sean never knew what I thought of the bikes or how I was going to rank them until he got email from me a week later (except that I told him just before I left that I really liked the big Honda). There was absolutely no "editorial gratitude" that I saw in either this or the middleweight test. The chips just fell where they did.

Thank goodness for the variety of opinion out there concering this year's crop of open class bikes. Consumers have lots of divergent POV's to aid in purchasing decisions. Even though we ranked them 1 to 8 the difference, IMO between first and last was actually about 1.001 to 1.008. They are all great bikes and each of them is the best bike in the world for someone. And no matter what you think I stand by the way MO conducted this test.

I think I understand what that "little" in Bitter Little Man is all about now.

sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 07:34 AM   #236
johnnyb
Founding Member

What, I'm not allowed to have an opinion? I'm saying I like the ZX10 based on my knowledge of all the people doing the testing and the length of time you guys rode the bikes too. One day on the street? is that what I got out of the MO test? 9 bikes in one day? I'm not impugning anybody. Are you saying cycle world, rrw, and sport rider crew are less qualified?

It's possible you're taking it all a little too seriously. Picking the Honda is perfectly legit, i think Cycle News picked it too. I'm saying I like the Kawasaki. I will not insult you back at this point.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:55 AM   #237
staff
Founding Member

JB,

True enough, if my paw wasn't broken and the track had been smoother, the Kawi might well have won. I know these bikes aren't aimed at the average rider, but truth is most of them are actually purchased by "average" riders. Since I was wounded I figured it was a prime oportunity to evaluate from a perspective that is a little closer to the typical purchaser of these beasts. In that light, I STILL think the Honda is the bike to beat. If Garrett over at Suzuki sees fit to grace us with another GSXR, I will do a healthy pure performance shootout and we'll see what comes of it.

staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 09:00 AM   #238
staff
Founding Member

Mike Emery, Fonzi and I all spent several days riding these bikes, before and after the "official" testt session. Getting 9 riders together and keeping them together for more than 48 hours would have been damned near impossible. Aside from Martin, the rest of the people who only got two days on the bike, weren't used to write the story. We incorporated some of their observations and prefferences, but that's as far as it went.
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 09:22 AM   #239
Mashuri
Founding Member

Default "Roadracing Whirld"

Sorry Johnny, they rated the R1 numero uno. They were faster on CA speedway with it and preferred it on the street as well. As a result, the real racers relegated the Kaw to #2.
Mashuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:07 AM   #240
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re:

i shtand corrected, i remembered it was close between those 2. All's I'm sayin is I've seen a couple zx10s around town and they are HOT HOT HOT. almost cuell as the Buell...