Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   2004 Open Class Shootout (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2380)

mile_eater 04-29-2004 05:29 PM

Re: 2004 Open Class Shootout

Just read it today. They basically said it was a two bike shoot-out between the R1 and the ZX-10. ZX-10 won overall, editor in chief picked the R1.

Some thought the gearing of ZX-10 was illsuited for Willow.

ZX-10 finished the quarter with it's front wheel off the ground. It won the quarter-mile over the R1 by .01 seconds. That's close girls.

It had 2 mph of top speed over the R1

The Honda was just outclassed all around.

Oh... and with Dunlops on the bikes... no one mentioned headshake...

Makes me wonder if this isn't a one bike deal? sport rider said they thought the cbr1000rr they got for the shootout was a dud. Felt is was significantly weaker than the bikes at the intro.

mile_eater 04-29-2004 05:32 PM

Anyone who would want to see a picture of a wounded 999 is just sick. SICK!

I've seen an aprilia Mille laid over... I thought I was gonna barf. I was far more conserned for the bike than I was the moron who missed a shift and wadded it.

Steven_Verschoor 04-29-2004 08:19 PM

Re: 2004 Open Class Shootout - Those who can't do, *****.

LOL, before you give yourself too much credit, I'm not upset - just mildly annoyed.

Anyway, your rationale doesn't work.

You can't admit to trolling, then try to excuse yourself by saying no one is supposed to take you seriously... See, trolling by definition means you're trying very hard to trick people into taking you seriously. Who's the one who has issues?

As for not taking a bulletin board seriously, go ahead and email Sean again. Be sure to tell him that you don't take *his* bulletin board seriously, and you don't expect anyone else to take his bulletin board seriously either.

Go ahead and tell him.

HobbleFoot 04-29-2004 08:29 PM

Great job Sean and co. on the article. I really didn't want to see the Honda win, I feel like Honda is "getting away with" building a heavy sportbike which seems like a backwards step. Of course the R1, Gixxer, and others have also gained some girth. Anyhow, had Motorcyclist deemed the CBR champion I wouldn't have paid any attention, I trust you guys, esp. Sean, so I respect your results.

I really like the RC-51, but I have a question. In Europe I believe the SP-2 version is in white (Castrol colors). Here in the U.S. the color didn't change, how do I distinguish between the SP-1 and SP-2 on this side of the pond?

P.S. I was really hoping for the Kawasaki to win because they're sort of the underdog of the big 4. Their 9R was always last, it seems they can just never quite get it right.

HobbleFoot 04-29-2004 08:32 PM

Re: This is the best open class comparo I've seen, now you guys have forced me to bu

Get the blacked out Speed Triple, get a black exhaust and lose the toupe. Mad Max brotha!

HobbleFoot 04-29-2004 08:38 PM

Re: Quite An Introduction to MO

I couldn't agree more about Triumph's site. Horrible in every way. Don't just show me what colors are available, show me the bike in that color!!!!

HobbleFoot 04-29-2004 09:11 PM

Oh yeah, another question, which sportbikes in general run the coolest. I rode a TT600 once and got cooked. I rode a 9R and it wasn't bad at all. The naked bikes I've owned were fine temp. wise. I don't know if I could stand the heat here in the desert (San Joaquin Valley) with full gear and the heater on. I'll take a conventional exhaust any day over a "cool" bun burner.

HobbleFoot 04-29-2004 10:08 PM

And another question.....sorry, they come to me a bit at a time. Were the bikes used in the test 49 state pollution friendly or were they the neutered for California use models? I realize 158hp is lots, but Cycle World showed more. Could be a difference in dynos. I recall that the CA version of the R6 only revved to 14,200 compared to 15,500 everywhere else. Ok, I'll shut up now.

SRMark 04-30-2004 03:29 AM

Re: 2004 Open Class Shootout - Those who can't do, *****.

Hell, my wife finds me scary and I'm very dated. Hard to ride too.

christian_gates 04-30-2004 04:49 AM

There are some interesting points about the Honda's bulk (I've done some research because I really like the way they look and their general design features, so I'm a bit biased), including the following:

1) Heavy, but very trick, steering damper (marginal performance benefit)

2) Heavy rear suspension arrangement (significant performance benefit)

3) Stainless muffler (all the others have Ti, I believe)

4) Apparently heavier and more robust chassis (I have no idea if there's any benefit to this or not)

5) My memory could be playing tricks, but I believe that I read in Roadracing World that the Honda has the lightest wheels, by a fairly significant amount

6) Cassette tranny, which I believe is heavier than a fixed tranny

I also noticed what appears to be a heat shield next to the exhaust runs that looks like fairly heavy gauge stainless steel.

In other words, it's heavy, but a lot of the heavy stuff either confers a performance benefit, or can be easily removed for use in anger.

cdg