Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-24-2004, 06:37 AM   #11
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Open Class Shootout

I'm not sure where you got the impression that we thought it was even remotely funny. In all seriousness and in complete sincerity, everyone who was there thought it was a horrible experience and to this day we have deep regrets about the accident. As for our feeble attempts at humor in the rest of this test, they have little to do with the accident and are merely indicative of us trying to make the best out of a bad situation. -Sean

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2004, 06:42 AM   #12
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: If someones gotta do it..................

Why no VFR test, were you afraid it'd win?....And WHERE THE HELL IS THE 600 SHOOT-OUT YOU'VE BEEN PROMISING ?????????? This site blows I want my money back, How come blip and minnie-me and hack-fu are gone? I could go faster on an SV 650 than that over-weight pig Honda P.O.S. you call a winner.................

I think that should cover it.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 06:59 AM   #13
sarnali
Founding Member

I wouldn't worry Sean you in particular and the rest of the guys in general did an outstanding job, clearly one of the best multi-bike test's I've read online or in print, a real bang-up (?) job

I was surprised to see the CBR1000RR at the top of the pile, as the first thing you usually read about it is overweight, down on power, blah blah blah, Like you said, you have to actually ride the bikes to form an opinion.

I like your comments on the Triumph as I'm a completely biased Triumph fan and a real world street rider, not a wannabe racer.

Hope your hand heals soon, glad it wasn't worse, great artical.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:48 AM   #14
christian_gates
Founding Member

That was a great review, and I really like the concept of putting ALL the 1000cc-ish bikes to the test. It seems that there's a tendency to include only the "Big 4 with Inline-4 Engines" in these comparisons, and I can't think of a reason why. So congratulations on breaking an industry-wide pattern that has been annoying me for a while.

The qualitative comments were highly relevant to racetrack and realworld performance expectations, particularly with respect to the demonic ZX-10. I was a bit surprised at the lap times posted, but I suspect that there's some noise in there from the conditions, which you thoughtfully highlighted.

Despite the injuries and the broken bikes, which were a massively unfortunate set of circumstances, I applaud your efforts for even attempting to do something this audacious. The fact that you mostly succeeded in your plan ensures that my subscription will be renewed.

Keep up the good work.
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:24 AM   #15
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Default Re: SA the Lionhearted

And on top of all that Sean still set the fastest lap times! What a he-man!

So, Eric, how come you and Pete and Will and Dale didn't get to express your opinions? Or get a vote? Nice write-up otherwise.

Oh, and I can't resist: Martin, the Aprilia's suspension is "taut", not "taunt".

"Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!" - MPATHG
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:25 AM   #16
Vlad
Registered Member

Ballsy, very ballsy. Testing the entire crop at one time. A good, balanced, fair appraisal of all of the bikes. As for the accident, well, things can happen. Too bad it was the Ducati. But I was glad the other loss wasn't one of the top tier bikes. (Ooooooh. I can hear the keys a-tappin' now.)

Cheers to Sean for riding with a broken wing.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:35 AM   #17
sarnali
Founding Member

"tiny brained wiper of other peoples bottoms, I shall fart in your general direction"

still funny after 30 years.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:44 AM   #18
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

EBass says: "So SA, about that last sesh where you and Emery couldn't pass my fat, old, slow ass in 20 minutes of trying....."

To which I must publicly reply: EB you snivelling, chair sleeping, multi-time rider-stranding, back-marker. If you and I started a 10-lap race, you on an RC-211V and me on a Buell Blast, you already KNOW be looking over your shoulder waiting for me to lap you for the second time.

In all seriousness folks, Mr. Bass has vastly improved his track-day skills and is now capable of lapping within :20seconds of my fastest lap times (when I'm riding one-handed) -Sean
Old 04-24-2004, 08:56 AM   #19
CIH
Founding Member

Default rank order voting

Hey, what's up with the rank-order voting system for determining final standings? It's the 21st century, get with the program and use a Condorcet variant (hyped as "true majority" in March 2004 Sci. Am).

Fortunately, there are no circular preferences this time around, but I get slightly different results for #4-7, less affected by the outlier votes:

1. Honda CBR

2. Yamaha

3. Kawasaki

4. Aprilia

5. Honda RC

6. Ducati

7. Suzuki

8. Triumph

The big advantage of pairwise-comparison schemes is that the presence or absence of a particular bike doesn't affect the ordering of the other bikes. For instance, if you'd omitted the Kawasaki and the Triumph (and all the other preferences remaining the same), your scoring scheme would switch to the RSV beating the RC51.
CIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 11:20 AM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default You need to get out more.

Put down that slide rule and try asking a girl out on a date.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote