Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2004 Open Class Shootout (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2380-2004-open-class-shootout.html)

SeanAlexander 04-27-2004 05:27 AM

Re: 2004 Open Class Shootout

>>Sean, if you said for everybody to wait at point X (or was it Y?), why did you approach that point with hypervelocity?<<

The second and third riders made U-Turns enroute to point Y, not AT that point. The accident occurred about a mile before the meeting point, when I rounded a corner and found the 3rd rider beginning his U-Turn.

Thanks for the real world feedback on your RSV. -Sean

SeanAlexander 04-27-2004 05:48 AM

A guy made a mistake and decided to make a U-turn in a bad spot. That's a lapse of judgement NOT a "ridiculous stunt"

Nobody was riding wheelies through school zones, or doing rolling burnouts, or riding with imporper gear, or racing, or..... or..... or..... The FACT is we were riding motorcycles on a canyon road and three people made mistakes that by themselves would have been harmless.

1.) The 1st rider didn't wait at the designated point - this was a mistake, not a stunt.

2.) A rider made a U-turn in a bad spot - this was alapse in otherwise good judjement by a highly experienced rider + a mistake.

3.) I was going faster than I should have been (but NOT racing or riding near my limit) - This is a mistake that happens to be made by every journalist, every time they test a sportbike on a twisty road... If journalists didn't test sportbikes this way, we wouldn't have our jobs.

Where are the "ridiculous stunts" in this story? Have YOU ever made a mistake while riding, or exceeded the speed limit? Dis you think you were guilty of a rediculous stunt afterward?

mscuddy 04-27-2004 06:05 AM

Wow, imagine my suprise when I got an email from Sean inviting me to a street ride test of the latest liter bikes...honest to gosh motojournalism.

Showing up woefully underdressed, at the plush, well lit MO office/garage on a 32 year old Yamaha 250 Enduro, and Moto 3, didn't help. But everyone was real cool, except for the Limey, of course. He is English after all, so we should cut him some slack, I guess.

Even though I only got to ride the photo mule (1200 Bandit), most of the time, I had fun flogging that heavy mutha' up and down that canyon. Think I wore the brakes out. Hope the owner wasn't too pissed.

After the dreaded center punching, I dove Sean back to Torrance in my truck, with the two busted bikes. Found out he's quite a guy, not only a scorchingly fast rider, but a combat medic as well. Too much.

Thanks guys, for the fun ride. Quite a crew. And if I ever do get invited back, I promise not to force beer on anyone. Liquid courage not withstanding (bad habits from too much dirt riding).

Later,

Matt

SF 04-27-2004 06:35 AM

You guys done good.

I was disappointed about the wreck, but hey, stuff happens. MO is not the first motopublication to wreck a bike. Kudos for riding with the broken hand.

The videos, soundclips, photos, reviews from both experienced and not-so experienced riders, etc. ALL make it worth the $12.

Contrary to what some might say, I also like the articles that aren't about hard-core sportbikes (the recent RoadKing article, for one).

SF

johnnyb 04-27-2004 07:24 AM

Re: Commie!

Well i spose it's a good thing for MO that the Hondas are in there so who's to say there shouldn't be a little editorial gratitude. I've always been a big fan of the RC51 myself. As for the CBR1000, its looks just don't do if for me, sorry, that's important. I'd be all over a ZX10, I think, with a steering damper... but I'd still rather have a Buell Lightning than any of them. I so seldom go 100 in first gear these days... thank goodness all the bikes are safe back in the MO shop now!

mile_eater 04-27-2004 07:32 AM

I've ridden the 03 Mille R on a few occasions. My favorite ridin' buddy grabbed one up in Pittsburgh.

I thought the throttle response of the twin would be a little less instant than the 929's and gxr750's out there. I was awefully shocked to say the least. I couldn't tell any difference at all.

The bike feels weightless to me, and man... You just cannot beat the sound of that pissed off twin growlin' through a shotgun pipe.

A wise man once told me not to ride a Mille R till I had the money to go buy one.

He was right.

Beware boys. When the fat harley guys are waiting at intersections to find out what sounds so BAD coming this way.... Well that's fun.

Buzglyd 04-27-2004 07:51 AM

When I bought my Geezer Glide last year I rode my Ducati down to the local stealership and the sound of that thing just empties the place. The mechanics all come running out. The salespeople. Customers. Rats.

Haird 04-27-2004 08:09 AM

Yes, a confluence of unlikely errors, hence the term "accident." Perhaps we can all learn by these errors and do a better job of riding for the 1% of times when that patch of road just out of sight is occupied by another vehicle.

12er 04-27-2004 08:59 AM

Re: This is the best open class comparo I've seen, now you guys have forced me to bu

That was the rules I laid down too. Well I have two rules, Snowboarding all winter and riding all year around. If I gave those up I wouldnt be me, or happy...

johnnyb 04-27-2004 10:08 AM

on the other hand, MO may be first motopublication to crash 2 bikes running into each other on the street. how can you NOT be intrigued?! good thing it wasn't a Honda. On the other other hand, how cool would it have been to make the fateful fone call if the RC51 had taken out the cbr...