Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-26-2004, 03:49 PM   #161
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default test

test

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2004, 04:05 PM   #162
brickl
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Open Class Shootout

BMW4VWW said: "Brickl, some aspects of motorcycling can be unpleasant. The fact that bad things can, and do happen to riders that we respect is something that shouldn't be redacted to present a false image of reality."

You can respect them all you want. I'd respect them a heck of a lot more if ridiculous stunts like we're discussing here: a.) never happened because an adult was around to do a bit of thinking, or, b.) were kept out of the article.

This comparo is so hopelessly compromised from so many different criterial perspectives I don't have the energy to list them all. But I gotta say, big friggin shocker that Honda hit #1 on its maiden voyage back on the site!!! SHAZAM!!! HAR, HAR, HAR!!! Unreal.
brickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:12 PM   #163
kjam68
Registered Member

Default When are you testing the Ducati again?

I would let you borrow mine, as long as you promise not to make any U-Turns! I would like to see the track results.

Thanks
kjam68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 05:36 PM   #164
Wambo
Founding Member

A great article and story. I wasn't thinking about buying one the these bikes for myself but after such a great job reporting, I may change my mind. I can't believe what you guys went through to pull it off! My hat's off to Sean for his determination and shear guts to stick through this to the end after all that happen, pulling off a great test. I honestly wouldn't have been able to. I think cudos are in order for all the hard work of the team as well.

It's always easy to second guess someone after the fact on what could have or should have been done, but I think under the exact same circumstances no one else could have done better. I figure two busted bikes are a fair trade for two busted (or killed) riders. It is a great idea to rematch the Ducati and Suzuki with the Honda later. I'll be looking forward to it. My favorite bike of the test? I'll take the Triumph, as it appeals to what I'm looking for in a bike.
Wambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 06:03 PM   #165
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re:

showing your MSF scores and relevant magazine test articals would have been helpful.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 07:01 PM   #166
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

You think that the Honda won because the fix was in? Boy o boy, and people have the nerve to say that I am a conspiricy nut. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:27 PM   #167
Blue_Are1
Founding Member

Default Re: For the more

These tests were done at track days, how the hell do you get accurate test times at a track day with rider's of vastly different abilities on the track at the same time?

I bet if you brought those bikes to a track like Mid-America Motorplex the track results would have been different.

It would be nice if they could run the 3 new 1k inline 4's at a couple of different tracks with different characteristics to get a little more depth on the differences of the bikes tested to see which one worked the best.
Blue_Are1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:47 PM   #168
Blue_Are1
Founding Member

Default Re:

If it was me I wouldn't ride with any of them ever again. But maybe ground rules need to be laid out in plain english on what the plan is, at least now you know what can happen and can try to prevent it in the future.
Blue_Are1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 04:30 AM   #169
ycws
Founding Member

This is why I subscribe. Every year I wait, and it's worth it every time.

I'm sorry to hear about the misfortunes; glad to hear no serious injuries were sustained (apart from the bikes: what DID the dealers says?); hope everybody learned.

One thing I do wonder: Sean, if you said for everybody to wait at point X (or was it Y?), why did you approach that point with hypervelocity?

Anyway, I ride the 04 RSV and can (unfortunately) testify that she's got a serious heat problem. I also believe the bike needs a damper (why else would the RSV Factory have one?): At 250+ (km/h that is and yes, it's legal on German Autobahns) there's a bit of a wobble. Other than that, it's a perfect mount and a sensous experience (which no inline-4 could muster). Anyone notice the absence of V2 vs Straight-4 arguments?

Finally (and this has been mentioned before) my huge grudge against manufacturers specifications: My RSV is meant to make 139bhp, which should equate to at least 125 at the rear, not a measely 117. Where'd they take this s*** from? For those RSV owners though: The chip has been tuned such that the bike meets galactic emission standards (way too rich). A remap will see increased hp, greater fuel-economy and better sound. Your Aprilia dealer should know how without charging you.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth (Euro-cents that is). Btw, you US guys are soooo lucky: How cheap are those bikes across the pond? Un-be-liev-able!!! Over-and-out.
ycws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 05:21 AM   #170
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Commie!

Did you skip the honda bits!? The Reds won!

Johnboy praising a shoot-out that licked the boots of the Commie Machine.

In the imortal words of Taggart:

I am depressed.