Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2004 Open Class Shootout (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2380-2004-open-class-shootout.html)

Steven_Verschoor 04-26-2004 09:26 AM

Re: 2004 Open Class Shootout - Those who can't do, *****.

I don't know, Mile_Eater. You might also be eating a few words if check MO's review of the 2001 GSXR:</p>
<blockquote>On the track, the bike felt remarkably solid. On the street our opinion didn't change all that much. Sure, the steering damper aids with settling down what may otherwise be a nervous front end, but the means to the end aren't as important as the result. Parking lots and low-speed maneuvers are not this bike's forte' so it's no surprise that things felt a bit awkward here. The stiff steering damper makes things a bit tedious, but it's only a minor annoyance. We'd rather have a heavy-feeling bike at five miles per hour than a violently head-shaking one at over a buck-fifty. [emphsis added]</blockquote>

You say the problem with the ZX is that folks haven't learned how to ride it yet, but how do you ride around head shake?</p>

And here's what John Burns wrote in the 2002 Open Class Shootout:</p>
<blockquote>Last year, MO went to the race track without a stopwatch, and concluded that the Suzuki was "a handful" compared to the others. Guess why, Billy? Because it was going two seconds faster a lap.</blockquote>

Look at the times from this years comparo. For all it's power, the ZX is going slower than the competition.</p>

Finally, if you want the bike with the most power to win. Just look at the spec sheets and make your choice. Don't expect MO to validate your personal perspective.</p>

As Burns also said in the 2002 Open shootout:</p>
<blockquote>... [T]he important thing to bear in mind as you fire up the flame-thrower, is that our main goal is to provide information as to where each bike excels and doesn't--but it's completely up to you to decide where you place the emphasis in your own little world.</blockquote>

burtonsimmons 04-26-2004 09:49 AM

Re: Triumph in 8th?

I've got a Sprint ST and let me tell ya... heaven on 2 wheels.

mile_eater 04-26-2004 09:51 AM

Re:

Let this cat rant shawn. it's one thing to make a point.

It's quite another to bludgeon an expired equine for days on end.

mile_eater 04-26-2004 09:54 AM

You make my point for me BMW. Even Eddie couldn't ride it at the begining. But everyone rides it now.

As for me? I can't ride it like Sean can, but then I've not been arguing with Sean. Once he pointed out the tire change, I was happy.

My point remains about the Newest fastest bike being scary.

ValknMag 04-26-2004 09:57 AM

Re: 2004 Open Class Shootout

I think one of the testers mentioned that they're all so good, mortals like me should make a purchase decision based on looks, comfort, etc. They can't rank them on that, because none of the testers are my size. And I think the 999 looks great, would rank it very high, but other people disagreee--so what's the point?

mile_eater 04-26-2004 09:58 AM

I'm not looking for MO to agree with me. I was confused about the tire deal.

You make some valid points about the GSXR.

Any chance of a longterm test on the Kawi boys? if you're faster on the kawi than the Honda in 6 weeks, like I predict, then great, if not, you can all mock me at will.

grubz916 04-26-2004 10:06 AM

Well, I thought you guys did a great job, despite some seriously chilling events. Hope you heal up nicely Sean so you can hook us up with more of the same. Again, nice job.

However, I can't help but wonder how the GSXR-750 would do in this company. After all, it's in a class by itself. I remember when the last gen 750 came out in 2000 (no 1000 yet), it managed to hold its own against the R1 & CBR929 of the time (even upping them in top speed, if memory serves me right).

I must confess to having my own motives. I want something ballsier than a 600, but I want to be able to cane it at redline from time to time without pulling 100 in first, like the Zx10 & R1. Your thoughts?

BMW4VWW 04-26-2004 10:17 AM

Some how the salient point of my diatribe went over the top of your head at mach III. Please define for me. I must have missed Eddie's subsequent retraction. Some times even the slightly dated remain scary. VWW

ZRX_bullock 04-26-2004 11:27 AM

Wonderful

IÂ’ve been looking forward for some organization to generate a report like this on the liter class Sportbike war since Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki announced that were developing a new liter class Sport Bike. Including Aprilia, Ducati, and the Triumph Daytona in this test was a great addition.

I would like to give everybody at motorcycle online who contributed to this article a sincere compliment; considering the difficult task that was inherent in this test and what you accomplished in spite of crashing the 999 and Suzuki.

christian_gates 04-26-2004 01:47 PM

The RC-51's swingarm will not fit on a CBR-1000RR without dramatically retooling the RR's chassis. Read www.hondanews.com for pictures and engineering. The basic reason is that the RR's swingarm and shock both attach at the pivot point and nowhere else - there's not a second attachment on the frame for a standard rear shock configuration.

It's a really cool design, looks pretty good in person and from everthing I've read and seen, it's extremely effective.