Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-25-2004, 05:31 PM   #101
ciao
Founding Member

This accident was caused by really dumb riding and poor judgment. It doesnÂ’t matter what lap times you guys are good for if you canÂ’t navigate ordinary public roads without colliding into each other like something from a Three Stooges cartoon.

In particular:

You say "Â…the fourth rider (Sean on the 999) came around the previous corner and found his older brother blocking the road." Well, something blocking the road (on another curve, maybe a fallen tree, an animal or a child) only becomes a problem if youÂ’re riding too fast to stop within your field of view - which has to be a prime cardinal sin in motorcycling, especially on the street where yes, next time it may well be a child...

And then: "Sean decided to aggressively counter-steer left, heading for the hole in front of his brother's bike Â… except for the fact that Dale didn't see Sean coming and continued his U-Turn at about 5mph." Like duh, whether itÂ’s a bike or a deer, given a choice you always aim for the tail. After all, if such things are still moving it's usually forward...

Finally, when you go out there as an accident looking for a place to happen, the kind of skin rash you ended up with indicates you werenÂ’t wearing proper gear for the (rather predictable) "occasion".

Hope I don't run into the likes of you on the road.

ciao is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2004, 05:36 PM   #102
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: This is the best open class comparo I've seen, now you guys have forced me to bu

You have to set the ground rules from the git-go. When my wife and I started dating I told her motorcycles were my life, I ride every chance I get and I buy a new bike everytime I can afford one, period.

I buy her a new car every year or two so it's not a one-way street, but the bottom line is the bills are paid and the kids are fed, if I want a new bike I'm going to get one.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 06:14 PM   #103
Mashuri
Founding Member

Default For the more "track oriented" buyers out there...

Read Road Racing World's comparo of the "Big 4." They did include ergonomics and street use but, funny enough, the same bike was picked as best for street as well as track use: Yamaha YZF-R1. The ZX10 was a close second and the Gixxer and Honda were left skirmishing for the left-overs. Oh, they didn't complain about anything having too much power either. It's what elevated the Kaw to 2nd, despite crummy ergos and less-than-perfect handling.
Mashuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:07 PM   #104
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Open Class Shootout

From all of this talk about hairless butts and little peckers I'm sure that you and Mile-eater make a wonderful couple. Much luck and happiness together.

Regards

sbp

sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:12 PM   #105
Jexter
Founding Member

If THAT is the criteria then where the hell is my '02 Special Construction? I frequently scrape the pegs going around turns at an insane speed of 20mph! In fact, I can almost turn around in the driveway. No really though I love my Harley.
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:15 PM   #106
KillerKowalski
Founding Member

Wrong Login.....that's my post.
KillerKowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 07:32 PM   #107
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Whoops - My Bad!

Well heck, that's not even a scooter then, that's a doggone moped . And an old one too. Sorry about being confused. What the heck do you know about modern literbikes?? Sorry, rhetorical question.

If you and your bud JAC3 can ever pry yourselves apart and away from your mutual fascination with little peckers and hairless butts you are welcome to back up some of that smack on a racetrack. That's the best way, don't you think? All the talk in the world evaporates like smoke on a track. Racing is BS repellent.

Sean, Mike and myself are all quite easy to find on the starting grids of CCS and WSMC events. Sean, in fact, has carded in an AMA pro race. Nonetheless I'm sure that he'd be grateful for you to show him how to ride the ZX-10 around a racetrack.

Looking forward to seeing you out there.

sbp

Old 04-25-2004, 08:21 PM   #108
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re:

You are correct in stating that this accident was caused by poor judgment. Was I going too fast for conditions? Yes I was. Is that entirely MY fault? Yes it is. However, if I had decided to aim for his tail and it turned out that he wasn't moving, I would have killed him. He was so close to the tight corner I was coming around, that I didn't have more than a fraction of a second to make that choice. Since he was moving slowly, his movement didn't register until well-after that split-second decision had already been made and after I was fully committed to my evasive maneuver.

If he had been a child, I would have easily missed him, because a child isn't 6' long when he/she is crossing the centerline of a two-lane road. If that hypothetical child had been 6' tall and lying directly across the middle of the road, I would still have missed him, because he wouldn't have been moving 5mph.

As for the skin rash, it was sustained inside an armored Cordura riding jacket, that was zipped-to armored riding pants. It was NOT road rash, it was caused by the lining of the jacket getting smashed violently into my skin during the impact. Do YOU ride on the street in something more appropriate than an armored Cordura motorcycle riding suit?

I know this probably sounds arrogant and many of MO's readers will probably take this the wrong way, but I'd like to add: You hope you don't run into the likes of me on the road? If an "average" rider wouldÂ’ve come around that corner at that exact moment, they would have center-punched and killed my brother (or your hypothetical child). In slightly over 31 years of motorcycling and 19 years of licensed street riding spanning over 1/2 million miles, this is the ONLY accident I've ever had on public roads. I'd say that's fair safety record, wouldn't you? -Sean

Old 04-25-2004, 08:39 PM   #109
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Cool kids ride Triumphs

No, but she's been on the back of mine!
Old 04-25-2004, 08:52 PM   #110
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default 2004 Open Class Shootout - Those who can't do, *****.

I promised myself that I was going to stay out of this. I had my say as one of the contributors to the comparo and I respect the readers of MO's right to their opinions. But the venom in some of these posts is stunning and in most cases reflects, IMO, almost complete ignorance. And I'd rather light a candle than curse your darkness so here goes....

In order to do this right I have to take a cue from Ebass and take a brief time out from the great smack fest that goes with being part of MO. You see all of us who have anything to do with MO are way harder on each other than any reader ever even dreamed of. MO is a tough place to hang and the astute reader will note many subtle as well as not-so-subtle digs at each other in the text of the comparo. We are a fairly competitive lot - no one cuts anyone any slack and no one sucks up to anyone else back at the old bike orchard either. It's war I'm telling ya.

The thing that has me most aggravated is this talk of unprofessional behavior and incompetence by the MO staff. Sean, Fonzie and Ebass are not only pros in every sense of the word, they are consumate pros. All take their jobs very seriously and for the first time in a while MO has a staff that is dedicated to making MO first rate or die trying. Sean Alexander at the wheel is the most articulate, thoughtful, insanely fast person I've ever met (and I know quite a few insanely fast people). In many, many, years Sean's had an exemplerary remarkable record of not crashing and not damaging test bikes. He's whip smart and has the balls of a burgler. His Mea culpa concerning the wadding of two test bikes was way above and beyond the call of duty and I respect him for it. No other magazine editor of my acquaintance would have been as forthright, especially knowing what he was letting himself in for.

I watched Sean age about 10 years during the two days of this comparo. Even without the obvious drama of this particular event it takes a hell of a lot of work and chutzpah to make one of these comparo's work. After participating in back-to-back evaluations of bikes for MO I now know with great certainty why no print mag in the world attempts to evaluate 8 bikes like we did. The complexities simply increase exponentially with the number of bikes. And you have to put up with at least personalities to ride them. None of the individuals involved in either of these tests were exactly shrinking violets and riding herd on them was a job all by itself. Sean's ears were frequently filled with unhelpful advice.

This shootout was physically and emotionally tough for all of us. And while I'm sure that I'm pissing up a rope as far as our critics are concerned I swear my most solemn oath to the rest of you that I have never been around folks who worked as hard to conduct the best test that we could. The world is an imperfect place and behind the orderly facade that most of us hide behind is an existance that is often pretty ragged. We were merely upfront about it. All of us wish like crazy that two bikes had not been crashed. But since that action cannot be undone the next best thing was to salvage what we could. And that we did.

A lot of people involved in this shootout really went to the mat to see things through. Getting the wrecked bikes back to MO was an ass-busting ordeal that reminds me of some of my longer days back when I was a guide. When it became obvious on the second day that we were really under the gun at Buttonwillow Pete and Dale selflessly took off their leathers, changed tires and timed laps rather than ride. MO reader Steven Verschoor (the nicest poster on MO) showed up expecting to ride and was immediately press-ganged into helping around the garage. We'd have never gotten some of our lap times without him. All in all I came away from both of these tests thoroughly impressed with the caliber of folks in the MO family and with an entire phone book full of new friends.

The posters wagging their tongues about our inability to ride the ZX-10 are, in truth, pretty funny. We'll be looking forward to seeing you boys at the track. As for the poster who took a swipe at Fonzie, well, shooting racebikes ain't like snapping pics of kids at Walmart pard. Fonzie hardly ever had enough time to set things up the way he would have liked to and never had a stable moving platform to shoot from. Dustin and the guys at Track Daz went out of their way to give us a clear track for photos for as long as they could but there still wasn't enough time. So Fonzie, like the rest of us, was always scrambling to get what he could under way less than ideal conditions. Personally I think the photos are great.

Well I've vented my spleen so now I'll shutup. One of the first things Ebass and Sean told me when I began to write for MO was that we respected the readers views no matter how wrong or stupid they seemed to us. I suspect that they are actually right. And now that the love fest is over - Hey Sean: How do you know anything about the side stand on the Ducati when everything below your waste is in a 5 foot shadow????

respect to all

sbp