Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Middleweight Standards Comparo (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2365-middleweight-standards-comparo.html)

designeraccd 03-31-2004 01:24 AM

Re: Middleweight Standards Comparo

Nice article. As the owner of my fourth Sportster-a 1200R, I must agree that overall it is a radical improvement from its '03 and earlier versions. It can still be easily smoked by most of the other "small" bikes in the test, but the grin factor when riding this bike thru curves is astounding.

The saddle continues to be an ergonomic pain-in-the-arse, the headlight equals a weak batteried flashlight and the stock Showa suspension combines nicely with the dummlopp "rim protecturrzz" to compromise handling. That said vast improvements are only(!!) hundreds of dollars away: Race Tech up front, good shocks in rear, Bridgestone BT45Vs, an aftermarket saddle...watch out curves! IMO, of the 65 or so bikes I've had the 1200R ranks up there with the best for being lotsa fun to ride. My BMW R1150GS will easily show her saddlebags to the 1200R, but the 1200R is the usual choice for riding. DFO

staudcycles 03-31-2004 01:32 AM

The Triumph Speed 4 should’ve been number1! Best bang for the buck and the most HARD CORE! For everyone else, stick with your Honda 599 ‘Couch on 2 wheels’……

SeanAlexander 03-31-2004 01:49 AM

Of course, this was a "Standards" comparo, not a "Sportbike" comparo.

longride 03-31-2004 03:15 AM

VStrom 650 would be my pick. Likes tall riders. Torquey, light, and handles well. Could be a nice mount for trashing the Alcan.

anrajala 03-31-2004 04:08 AM

Well balanced comparo of equally sized bikes, one twice as big as everyone else. What next, a litre bike shoot-out including the 2-litre Kawi?

- cruiz-euro

longride 03-31-2004 04:19 AM

Little boy, go have a big cup of Shut the F&ck Up and let the adults talk.

Joseph_Betor 03-31-2004 04:28 AM

I bought a VStrom last month as a commuter bike (wind protection, good mileage, easy to mount a top box and tall, upright position for better vision.) I was amazed at how much I liked riding it everywhere. It handles curves beautifully, making it great for day trips in the mountains. At the same time it is very comfortable for long trips (anyone complaining about the seat should sit on the original SV seat for 20 minutes) with over 200 mile range (nice when you get east of the Cascades.) Maybe it's because it's new, but my other two bikes are getting neglected these days.

gbrummett 03-31-2004 04:29 AM

Great story guys!

Ok, I wasnÂ’t going to say a thing, but, given all the moaning and *****ing going on I just had to pipe in.

Great job guys, once again you guys tell it like it is out in the real world on the street. I especially love the part "the fastest guys (Sean, Martin) were always in the front" no matter what they were on.

I have seen this myself where a friend who is a great rider on his Suzuki 1400 Intruder keeps some newbie squids at bay on the latest and greatest sport bikes down extremely twisty roads. It's so true that the rider is what makes a bike fast on the street and if we spent more time and money on training and learning then the latest gewiz sport bike and accessories we would all be faster.

Also before all you guys get so blown out of proportion about the Harley I have to mention a couple of things:

1. One freebie with a Harley that has not been mentioned at all is a whole family of friends ready to ride, stop, talk, assist, tour and just plain have fun with that you will never ever have with most of the other bikes. Ok, sure some of that goes on, but until you are in the family you just donÂ’t realize how much there is to it.

2. The Harley may have 1200cc of displacement but, it really is a Middleweight in size and power, which suits a lot of people just fine.

Great job Sean, Buzz, EBas, Martin, and staff.

monsters4 03-31-2004 04:42 AM

Would have been nice if the KTM Duke was included. Single cylinder 650, same as the BMW.

seruzawa 03-31-2004 04:44 AM

Good article. Actually testing bikes that people might ride is a good thing. Maybe more people will look at these bikes for their first or next purchase and the sales figures might shift away from the boring metric cruisers.

However, for the life of me, I can't figure how the bike that everyone seemed to hate came in 4th place. After reading the rider coments on the Yammerhammer I couldn't figure how it came in anything but last.