Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Middleweight Standards Comparo (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2365-middleweight-standards-comparo.html)

nweaver 03-31-2004 11:00 AM

You won't go wrong with the Vstrom

I have a VFR, I had a 500 ninja, and my GF just got a Vstrom 650

The Vstrom is an amazing bike, if something happened to my VFR, I'd replace it with one of these.

It's amazingly agile (somwhat more so than my old 500 Ninja: the difference between modern cheap suspension and 15 year old cheap suspension), it sops up teh road crap, has a stronger motor, much more comfort, and the huge tank.

Not to mention, the EX500 is a buzzy-little-beast, the Vstrom is amazingly smooth.

motonut_1 03-31-2004 11:11 AM

Re: mmm... Jeanine Garafalo... ggaaagaggaa

You might be interested to know that with some very minor tuning, the EX 500 can be made to run 140 MPH with a broader spread of power. All it takes is a Kerker can, a Dial-a-Jet kit and removing the right side cover of the airbox (which has a nice guiottine, sorry about the spelling, style air filter). You have to tune the Dial-a-Jet, but it's very easy to tune. I know about this as I used to race one and that is the speed it was clocked at down the straight at BIR. It's a little noisier but has a great attitude and runs much better than a stock bike.

motonut_1 03-31-2004 11:14 AM

Re: mmm... Jeanine Garafalo... ggaaagaggaa

Oooops. Sorry about that. Damn nervous condition caused by going 140 on an EX500. :-)

SRMark 03-31-2004 11:16 AM

Re: Middleweight Standards Comparo

I read EBass' description of the Honda 599 and had just the sick, twisted imagination needed to take over. What a nice afternoon. Anybody got a cigarette?

Buzglyd 03-31-2004 11:22 AM

Karate?

The only thing I know about karate is that I write checks to the place where my son takes lessons. He passed his first belt test so now my little ninja is ready to bust out a can of whoopass!

motonut_1 03-31-2004 11:26 AM

eBass's girlfriend. One thing that struck me from the test was the comparatively low mileage achieved by the Sportster. I think every other test I've seen on Sportsters, they returned at least 50 MPG. Did 'ol Sean spend an inordinate amount of time throttling it up to redline?

Jexter 03-31-2004 11:30 AM

^

|

Wow you really p!ssed off the peanut gallery, eh?

"Singing hail, hail, the gang's all here, leave yo-"

eh? Where's KPaul? ;)

Buzglyd 03-31-2004 11:35 AM

He's probably still in the ICU being revived after he clicked on the story and realized that I was a guest tester!

James_Brown 03-31-2004 11:43 AM

Re: No doubt the Speed Four is a darned good bike.

In addition to moving the Honda on against the Duc(s) and SV, why not bring along a modded Triumph?

sarnali 03-31-2004 11:43 AM

I'd say it did pretty well here, you wouldn't have to make excuses for owning one.

Just goes to show why the 599 Hornet is a top seller in the UK and Europe, Honda really did a good job on it, That and the 919 are really neat bikes.