Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-04-2004, 06:23 AM   #201
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Comissions

I think I'm going to start hitting up Suzuki for a little spiff money.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2004, 07:14 AM   #202
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Moto 3's at 10 paces...

Yes, but did I mention the spark plug wire clause? Where each bike can only run one (1) plug wire?

Under this rule, (soon to be mandated by the CHP) I'll actually be riding a 218cc KZ, and you'll be riding a 600 Harley.

Kind of like the "restrictor plate" rule, this keeps down the overall top speed, and those messy trips "over the side".
Old 04-05-2004, 08:30 PM   #203
Wambo
Founding Member

Default Re: Middleweight Standards Comparo

Great reviews! I'd have to cast my vote for the Yamaha YZF600R as a contender for the best middleweight. A great all-around bike with fairly up-right and comfy seating, adjustible suspension, and good performance for a reasonable price. I know the review says "standards", but the seating on the YZF600R is closer to standard than sportbike as far as comfort is concerned. Just for fun, if there is a further comparison with the 599, SV650, Ducati Monster 620/800 , and hopefully the the YZF600R, lets throw in the winner of the 2003 Naked Twins test, the Buell XB9S to see how it fairs this time.

How about it?
Wambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 07:02 AM   #204
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I think that all of our testers would agree that the YZF600R is a tremendous bike (definitely one of my all time favorites anyway). But this comparo was about attitude as much as anything else and the YZF is quite a bit different in that regard. Doesn't mean it's not a tremendous bike in it's own right but I think that overall the spectrum of middleweight standards was pretty well represented by the bikes MO chose.

One can argue correctly and endlessly about what bikes should have been included and which should have been left out but you have to draw the line somewhere. In this case I think practicality played a key role. MO tested what they could get their hands on in the time allowed and limited themselves to the number of bikes they could find qualified riders to ride.

sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 02:21 PM   #205
PJ
Founding Member

Thanks for all the effort guys but my pick is the Moto Guzzi Breva. I looked at all of these bikes at the Cycle World show and the fit and finish on the Breva was way better than most. It also offers a low seat height and a comfortable "real world" riding position. Unlike the others, it seems designed to last as it offers shaft drive (can you say no more f*#@*@g chain!) and simple (i.e. repairable) technology. Most of the bikes that you tested will be junk in 5 years, Guzzis seem to last forever. Some of the others may be faster but, if speed is the goal, get a bigger motor. The Breva is the only middleweight that I'd consider riding to Daytona. Well, at least the rest are light enough to trailer there!
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:49 PM   #206
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I certainly hope you enjoy your bike but you are dead wrong in your assertion that the bikes we tested will be junk in five years. With the possible exception of the Harley I would ride any of these bikes anywhere. Most of these bikes have a known track record which the Berva, as of yet, does not. So I'd be a little careful about knocking any of these machines before you find out what your Breva is going to do for you. Bad karma!
Old 04-06-2004, 07:19 PM   #207
Wambo
Founding Member

Actually, I do agree with your point and I do understand that you can't just test them all (although I'm sure you would like to try!). I just think it's such a great bike that it merits a try at the champ of the comparison (this one or the next). If nothing else, I would like to see a resent test of the YFZ600R just to show how good of a bike it is. Again, great test! Let's have some more!
Wambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 06:07 AM   #208
MrCrashHappy
Founding Member

Default Couldn't agree more.

I believe Triumph, for one, hasn't had a recall since 2000.

Very much appreciate the effort to bring your experiences with these machines to us in an informative and entertaining manner. In fact, learning about the terrific performance of the current middleweight class, especially in terms of power to weight ratios, I sometimes wonder why I bother with open classers.
MrCrashHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 06:25 AM   #209
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Couldn't agree more.

I think when he meant "junk" he was referring to value rather than reliability. Guzzi's are unique and will always make someone smile when they see it.

When we were riding the mountain roads I was going as fast as I felt comfortable and thought the same thing about current litre bikes. Had I been on an R1 there's no way I would have allowed myself to go any faster than I was riding the 599 on public streets.

Wasn't it Eddie Lawson who said it was too scary to ride a litre bike anywhere near it's limits on the street? Yet squids think they can!

They call us "Harley guys" poseurs.............
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:08 AM   #210
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: Couldn't agree more.

You "Harley guys" are poseurs. Especially the ones with luminious silver geezer glides. I mean, c'mon, what do you expect?

Only problem is so are the rest of us