Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-02-2004, 02:45 PM   #192
IceWorm
Registered Member

Default Re: What Gives

That occurred to me also. There was a time when I was more prone to criticize those with the gift of literary composition, until I realized that my skills were totally lacking in that area. So now I am more cautious. Still I think I will wait and read more about this bike because I really like the idea of a middle weight standard. I just sold a KLR 650 with the intention of replacing it with a more street oriented, light, comfortable, standard. I thought the FZ was the answer until I read the shoot out. I am a long time fan of Honda motorcycles but the style of the 599 leaves me feeling like, well, feeling like it is sort of boring. I test rode a Speed Four at Daytona during Bike Week and I loved it except for the riding position, and at 55 years of age I need a little more room. The lines for the FZ6 were too long, I never got close to riding it, and forget about asking my local dealer for a ride, we are talking Jap bikes ya know. Since I am a confirmed Geezer I am thinking of a trip to Houston to test ride a Brevia 750. Could be the ticket?

Tim
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 06:11 PM   #193
tomhorn
Registered Member

Default Re: Middleweight Standards Comparo

Great comparo. Having just bought a new bike recently, I pulled out much hair and lost much sleep trying to decide what to buy to upgrade from my aging Hawk GT. I combined the looks and handling of the Speed 4, the upright ergos of the 599 and the price of the 1200R... and bought a Speed Triple. What the hell? It's smaller and lighter than the Sportster, so it must be a "middleweight" too.
tomhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 06:33 PM   #194
gceaves
Registered Member

What about the Kawasaki ZR-7S? It's a standard, uses basic technology, has a center stand, and is practical. I'd like to hear what our MO journalists have to say about it. Would it, too, look good with a milk crate on the back?

In a higher price category, what about BMW's R1150R or Motto Guzzi's Breva? (I assume no milk crate on these babies.)

As for my next bike, I'll get a Suzuki V-Strom 650. Other publications have already praised the bike, sparking my interest. But only now, with MO's final Seal Of Approval ("I'm sure at some point in its development Suzuki strapped a milk crate on the back."), can I make a final decision about my next ride.

Good story. Keep up the comparisons. Also, more touring stories, please.

-gregory
gceaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 01:28 AM   #196
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Default Re: What Gives

Attempts to resist the allure of the DL are futile! Coming from a KLR, you'd love the DL if you can get over the styling. I also thought that the 599 styling was boring and I sure wasn't going to pay $7,100 for it. I did pay $6,300 + ttl for the DL.
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 01:44 AM   #197
cptaebphd
Founding Member

Default Re: Bought the DL

From what you're saying, buzziness is subjective. Perhaps I could have lived with the buzziness in the FZ6, but I couldn't live with that stupid video-game-inspired tach. I need to be able to cross-check my instruments in a quick glance and get my eyes back on the road. It's a safety issue when I have to stare at the tach to figure out what the engine is doing -- VERY bad human factors engineering Yamaha!

Considering the 599 and FZ6 have 4-pot designs, it's not surprising there are reports of 599 buzziness, too. Perhaps the oh-so-quaint carbs on the 599 needed synching.

Regarding the 599, I'd like to know:

1) if anyone is actually buying it in the States and,

2) just how much under MSRP these are selling for.
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 10:43 AM   #198
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: waaay down to 60 LOL

Sorry, Triumphs don't fit on trailers, you'll have to ride it.!
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 10:47 AM   #199
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: waaay down to 60 LOL

I went to boiler school at Great Lakes NTC in november and December '75

I lived in Montreal for 5 years and Chicago just as cold.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 01:19 AM   #200
IceWorm
Registered Member

I guess we think alike. I have the first year DL1000. I hung around the Suzuki Demo tent at Bike Week this year and talked to riders who had the chance to ride the 1000 and the 650. Most seemed to like the middleweight better.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote