Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-01-2004, 05:21 AM   #111
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: LUSTING after EX500?

I dunno. 100% agree on your Yates take in Soup.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2004, 05:51 AM   #112
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: Middleweight Standards Comparo

Fit in pretty well?

Well what have we here, a "middlewight comparo", six bikes between 500-650cc, and a 1200cc. Weighing 40% more than the average of the rest.

Well, Tatd, if you are ever asked for jury duty to a beauty contest, just say no.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 05:54 AM   #113
LIMEDUST
Registered Member

I looked at one at the Detroit Cycle Show here, I did like it, but I'm a bit short of leg at 5'9". A bit short of cash to, until they become available used.
LIMEDUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 06:00 AM   #114
RKosztya
Founding Member

Pic #42 - what's with the "purse?" To each their own, I guess...
RKosztya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 06:11 AM   #115
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

I think that's a valid point. My first "street" bike was a KS125 Kawasaki enduro (three days after my fifteen birthday). Probably around 8 HP on a good day. Redline was 8000 RPM but I'd shift at 7000 for maximum acceleration! (it'd fall off the pipe). "Speed Shifting", Racing tuck, slamming on the brakes (drums) at the last possible moment, riding on the "ragged edge" around corners, on the gas Early and Hard coming out. All to maintain a slightly greater pace than some Grandma on the way to the store in her Pinto. I miss that bike and being able to ride like that on the street without speeding (about 68MPH indicated max with a "Jay Springteen" tuck and a mile) but the ZRX is a blast too. Obviously the law and physics demand restraint most of the time but sometimes! WOW! If only I can get to the point of sliding coming out of corners in the dry as easy as it is in the wet.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 06:30 AM   #116
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default hillbilly business

It belongs to my naked cousin. Sean was quite taken with him.
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 06:37 AM   #117
nweaver
Founding Member

Default VStrom Vs SV

The VStrom uses a different frame (its the DL1000 frame with a different motor-mount adaptor).

True, the DL gives up 50 lbs and 5 hp to the SV, but...

The SV doesn't have the ergonomics, the wind protection, the 5.8 gallon tank, the long travel suspension, remote preload ajustment (a godsend for pillion duty)....

On a twisted backroad or the track, the SV will blow past the Vstrom. But as a real world bike?

The VStrom will cruise faster than an SV (real wind-protection), and more comfortably than either an SV or SV-S, for either one or two. The VStrom cuts through potholes and crap like they don't exist, and comfortably goes down gravel driveways/roads.

The SV is actually fairly sports-biased, especially the SV-S, with teh almost GSX-R ergonomics. The VStrom is a much more "biased towards nothing" bike. I doubt it will sell well in the US (but those who buy it will be very happy), but I'd expect it to sell by the boatload in europe.

I'll snag a ride this weekend (probably) on an SV-S so I can do a full impression.
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 07:03 AM   #118
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Generational...

Keeping the old gen engine around (Katana & Bandit -> old GSX-R 600) has very little cost associated with it, especially if the bike was designed when the old-gen engine was still new. So much of the bike is the design and tooling cost, and of the engine as well, that keeping things constant saves a ton of money.

Oh, after a while you'd want to replace carburation/analog instruments with significantly cheaper EFI and digital (or stepper-motor "analog") instruments, but that can wait until you redesign the entire bike.

Yamaha was doing the same thing with the Fazer (YZF-600R engine), its that they had to update it to meet euro emissions regs, and in the process decided to use the R6 mill as the starting point instead.

Probably the major reason why the Hornet/Hornet S/CB600/CB600S are still using the older gen (carburated) CBR mill is that Honda is able to get them to pass emmisions, so they haven't had to redo things, and therefore don't want to.

The other factor, which I'm suprised hasn't been done, is put space in the engine case to add a counterbalancer. Leave the balancer, balancer berings (and the gear for it on the crankshaft?) out in the hypersport, but put it in for the other models.

Could you imagine a 90+ hp 600cc engine without vibration?
Old 04-01-2004, 07:09 AM   #119
nweaver
Founding Member

Default State Farm...

State farm writes based on displacement, not bike type, at least in my experience. Thus state farm is actually really CHEAP for a 600 supersport, its just "Yet another 599cc motorcyce".

I'm paying 1/2 the cost!)

They get around the squid-factor by mostly not writing motorcycle policies except for car customers.

Old 04-01-2004, 07:13 AM   #120
grubz916
Registered Member

Default It's not a purse!!!

It's a european carry-all!!!