Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-16-2004, 01:10 PM   #1
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Interviews the Real CHiPs

Hey, first post.

Nice, original story. Good questions. I'm suprised they didn't answer the personal saftey ones about the helmet choice and leathers for the officers. Seems I would want some armor or something. I wonder what the PR guys would say if you called them up and got one on the phone.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2004, 01:12 PM   #2
hogeye
Founding Member

In Austin, Texas, I have noticed many of the motor cops now using modular helmets which allows them to expose their face during a stop instead of appearing like Darth Vader.

Also, it seems makers of hot weather jackets (e.g. Joe Rocket Phoenix) should be falling all over themselves to sell to CHP and other authority motorcycle groups that operate in hot climates.
hogeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 01:35 PM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I once had a conversation with a motor officer here in San Diego shortly after I ran over a rock the size of a honeydew melon on my H-D Low Rider ( I didn't crash. I just stood on the pegs and jumped it like a dirtbike. It bent both of my rims).

He related a story to me about once running over a roll of carpet that had fallen off a truck!

I would think encountering obstacles would have to be a serious part of their training.

Good job boys.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 02:26 PM   #4
johnnyb
Founding Member

I had a long talk with a CHP about the protection thing. he says the CHP brass are not interested basically because Public Image is more important than officer safety. Translated through my brain, it's more important to look like Village Person than to exercise routine common sense.

Basically just like most govt. agencies in the state. correctiion, in the country. correction, in most countries.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 02:35 PM   #5
johnnyb
Founding Member

I had a long talk with a CHP about the protection thing. he says the CHP brass are not interested basically because Public Image is more important than officer safety. Translated through my brain, it's more important to look like Village Person than to exercise routine common sense.

Basically just like most govt. agencies in the state. correctiion, in the country. correction, in most countries.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:35 PM   #6
johnnyb
Founding Member

Old 03-16-2004, 02:46 PM   #7
rossbiker
Founding Member

Thanks for the update(s) there JB!

Ross
rossbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 02:49 PM   #8
Betamax
Founding Member

what a great job! you get to ride motorcycles and shoot people. what's better than that?
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 03:43 PM   #10
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Love the story

How now brown nose.