Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-11-2004, 05:35 PM   #1
F451
Founding Member

Default Re: Firstgear Chrome Tech Gloves

MadMax meets FirstGear. However, I do like FirstGear products.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2004, 05:41 PM   #2
RonXX
Founding Member

I've tried on a few different pairs of gloves with the hard stuff in the knuckles. I can't say that any of them were even remotely comfortable. They may look cool, and the armor might do something towards protecting your bones from debris or a crash, but I couldn't wear them for more than 5 minutes. Does anyone like this style of glove for actual riding?
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 06:00 PM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Ok, I'm not remotely an engineering type, pocket protector dork, but those are the goofiest things I've seen since armchaps and fringed windshields.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 06:45 PM   #4
sarnali
Founding Member

I dunno' those fingerless gloves with the fringe on them are about the gayest things I've seen this side of mid-thigh lace up boots.

These might serve as some minimum level of protection for yer' digits
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 07:10 PM   #5
scottlit
Founding Member

I don't know.... Personally, I think if you're looking for a bad-ass, Mad Max look, you probably can't go wrong with the Icon TiMax Long Gauntlet gloves. I tried them on at my local Honda dealer, and was surprised at how comfortable they actually were (granted, I only had them on for a minute or two, and can't vouch for their actual riding comfort), and they certainly seem likely to provide you with a sh*tload of protection should you bite it. Plus, I think they look crazy cool. The only thing that makes me nervous about them is that all that titanium flapping around, and especially the rivets in the palm, just look like a prime opportunity to scratch the hell out of your bike if you don't pay attention to where you put your hand.

I think the Joe Rocket Speedmaster gloves are pretty cool looking too, and the venting seems like a great idea, especially here in balmy Dallas, TX, where it's just not summer if the temperatures don't go into the triple-digits for 100 days straight. As race gloves though, I wonder if they'd hold up to daily / frequent use.

Anybody have any experience with either of these gloves, especially long-term use? Anybody unfortunate enough to have crash-tested these things?
scottlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:36 PM   #6
Steve781
Founding Member

Default TiMax gloves

I'm glad someone else understands the appeal of a pair of bad*ss gloves. I've been known to wear a pair of icon TiMax gloves for my morning commute to the office. It get to spend 26.2 miles as a bad*ss motorcyle dude, scaring the cagers in the commuter lane before I get to work where I'll split my time between engineering and accounting.

The TiMax are actually quite comfy. Not well vented though, which limits their seasons of use here in Houston TX. They run small and I wish the thumb crotch was deeper, but once you get them stretched to your liking they are practical gloves. Yes, you do have to be careful about scratching your tank or helmet.

Are the TiMax worth the money? Not for functional reasons, no. But for that morning Bad to the Bone kick I'm happy to have spent the money.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 12:05 AM   #7
xlr8r
Founding Member

Maybe it's just me, but when I come off a bike, which thankfully hasn't been often so far, it's not my knuckles which hit the asphalt but my palms. Maybe it's because they're all low-speed tumbles - well, two figure speeds, anyway - but the point is that armour on the 'heels' of the hands, in the lower palm area, seems to me a more useful thing than chrome knuckles. I used to have a pair of Furygan gloves which had studded palms, and saved me much skin and soft tissue. But I suppose the problem with studded palms is that nobody can see the butch metal bits while you're riding along with your hands around the twistgrip, can they?
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 02:41 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

We'll probably see a lot of these worn by fans at the next Raiders game.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:00 AM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Apparently you haven't seen how nice my legs look in mid-thigh lace up boots.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 03:11 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

So, you're moving to ThanFranthithco then?