Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-12-2004, 05:50 AM   #11
MrCrashHappy
Founding Member

Default Icon TiMax

I commute in the DC Metro area and wanted something with extra protection and sufficient insulation to use during the winter. Comfortable and warm without being bulky. On really cold days I stick a Grabber Mycoal into each glove. Although I'm not crazy about the exposed stitching, in all other respects they do the job. However, we've had a few days above 50 degrees and I'm certain I'll go back to my Teknic Violators in warm weather.
MrCrashHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2004, 06:07 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Must have new toy

My neighbor is threatening to buy my Ducati and I'm jonesing hard for an MV Agusta Brutale so unless this quivering passes soon I'll have a new addition to my garage in the future.

Of course I'll have to actually find a Brutale for sale at a decent price. I just might have to ride down to GP Motorcycles in San Diego and sniff around a little today.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 06:47 AM   #13
ducatirdr
Founding Member

Default Love this place!

New Enough sells used and closeout leathers. Check out the deal with these Teknic gloves...

I've bought two suits from them, gloves and love their family owned stand behing you customer support.

http://www.newenough.com/teknic_stre...loves_page.htm
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:35 AM   #14
scottlit
Founding Member

Default Re: Love this place!

Here's a deal on last year's Teknic Violator model off New Enough, should offer better protection than the Street Fighter gloves, especially around the wrist area. I know I went down once when I was just beginning to learn to ride (practicing panic stop at around 15 - 20 mph) and locked up the rear wheel and did a low-speed highside [a highly overrated experience ], and landed on my hands wearing just regular leather gloves, and in addition to my palms being bruised and my fingers jammed, my wrist was killing me for days. It wasn't broken, but definitely sprained. As a result, I tend to hold good wrist support / protection in high esteem when looking over a pair of gloves.
scottlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:36 AM   #15
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Must have new toy

Make sure you find a red one, or else you'll have to buy all new fringed arm and finger chaps so you don't clash

I'm assumeing the mid thigh lace-ups are black (you beast)
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:42 AM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

My Duc is yellow so I'll have to get all new red fringe.

The boots are black to match my little mask.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:45 AM   #17
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Firstgear Chrome Tech Gloves

Olympia sport gloves (mine) have a kevlar pad and double thickness leather on the heel of each hand, I havn't tried them out for abrasion resistance yet, but they're good comfy summer gloves in every other way.

The studded palm gloves look cool, but it seems like friction would heat them up if you were ever sliding on them
Old 03-12-2004, 07:50 AM   #18
sarnali
Founding Member

my mistake, I thought ST4's only came in red and grey

The yellow might still work against the Brutale`'s red and silver, kind of a nice springy-summery look that says I'm Buz! I'm here! lets ride!..... Avanti
Old 03-12-2004, 08:18 AM   #19
ValknMag
Founding Member

Default Re: Firstgear Chrome Tech Gloves

I have about 4 months riding time with the TiMax gauntlets. They're not as warm as my regular winter gauntlets; and a bit warmer than my usual gel-palm wrist length summer gloves (but not uncomfortably so, if you don't mind your hands smelling like feet). There is no padding to speak of in the palms, so if you need that you're out of luck. Try them while wearing your usual riding jacket, as the gauntlet seems a bit short and tight.

Oh, and I really didn't get them for protection. Last summer, I was rapping on an Explorer's passenger side window with my fist, trying to keep them from pushing me into a cement truck. Immediately went out and got the TiMax gloves. This summer, I'm harvesting windows.
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:23 AM   #20
ducatirdr
Founding Member

Default Buell in Photo

Are you guys putting a long term test on the XB9S?

Curious how it's holding up as well as your take on all the reported issues with strange handling. (Do you adjust to the quirks over time or do you still wince at trail braking?)
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote