Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-06-2001, 11:02 AM   #21
M
Founding Member

Default No, no, no...

we're not talking about the R1150GS. R1150GS (the-duck-on-drugs-look) is a dual/travel/sporty bike as BMW likes to call it. We are talking about the new R1150R - as naked as a naked gets. If you want to take a look there are some pictures here:

http://www.bmw-mc-vl.be/

There is also an english version of the site with a link to r1150r (news). And while you're at it you can take a look at F650GS Dakar. Higher windshield, handguards, 220 millimeter front and rear suspention, 21'' front wheel... . Drool!

M is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2001, 11:04 AM   #22
M
Founding Member

Default If one of you might possibly tell me

how to post a link here if would be much appretiated!
Old 01-06-2001, 11:11 AM   #23
M
Founding Member

Default I'm not sure if US version's the same but

ZR-7 and ZR-7S that are sold in Europe deliver 76 hp.
Old 01-06-2001, 03:18 PM   #24
tony
Founding Member

Default Re: New Shootout: M900D Vs. ZR-7S Vs. SV650

Why would you want to compare the XL1200 Sportster Sport to $6k budget bikes. Doesn't the XL sell for over $10k why not compare it to bikes in the 1200 cc range and the same price range. Or is it that the SV650 is that good that other manufactures need to get $10k for a bike that compares. I like liter bikes but the way everyone is talking about the SV650 I may want to try one before I buy my next bike.

It kind of reminds me of my sons Pokemon games.

Each trainer brings out there first pokemon to fight the rest and as long as it doesn't get beaten it stay's in the ring. Next round SV650 verses !!!

My vote is that Harley lets Buell put and tl1000s motor in one of their bikes and build a frame around

it. GM and Ford get away with it, I'm sure a number of folks won't ming buying a Buell with a Japanese motor in it.

Other then that I wished Yamaha would of brought the FJr1300 here.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 08:12 PM   #25
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Silk Purses...

Can be made from a sow's ear...my SV with $750 of suspension mods is a much better handling bike than a stock $10,000 bike, leaving you with another $4,000 to spend on leathers, track time, life insurance, etc.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 10:24 PM   #26
Zakman
Founding Member

Default Re: Silk Purses...

Gabe,

I'm sure both of us (you and I both have SV650s) agree you are stretching things pretty far to call a SV a sow's ear for poetic license. Granted a Penske shock on the back would be nice someday but I've put 24,000 miles on my little twin since November '99 , lots of two up riding leaving solo riders on their full faired poser bikes in the dust on the local twisties. One of the things that makes this such a great bike is the wide variety of things it does so well, from twisties to dirt roads at 60 to 70 mph, go anywhere you want to go, it loves it all.
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 10:39 PM   #27
SamBlob
Founding Member

Default Re: Why the XL1200S and the M2 Cyclone

The M900D is not a "$6k budget bike". According to H-D's website info (and I'm using straight MSRP here, despite the "Can't Get It For MSRP" battle), a 2-tone XL1200S with freight charges and California emissions should be about $9075. Less than the $9995 MSRP for the M900D (according to Ducati's site). Strangely enough, Buell's site doesn't seem to mention the MSRP of the M2 Cyclone...

This is obviously a comparison of sport standards, and the XL1200S is the closest thing H-D makes to that under its own name. The M2 Cyclone is probably the Buell closest to the spirit of the Ducati Monster series.

SamBlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 10:42 PM   #28
SamBlob
Founding Member

Default Re: Silk Purses...

You forgot the other savings that you get when you insure your 650cc "standard". Certainly not the same cost as insuring a Ducati or even a Katana, eh?
Old 01-06-2001, 10:54 PM   #29
SamBlob
Founding Member

Default Re: SV650 makes it happen

The only common factor among the bikes in the budget-bike shootout was that they had an MSRP under 6 grand. In the "Reader Feedback" for that article, I mentioned a series of comparisons that would have had better effect than the one comparison they did.

That being said, the SV650 is often compared to the Ducati Monster series because they look similar and have similar performance characteristics and specs.

The fish out of water in the proposed comparison discussed here would be the ZR-7 which, IMO, should be tested alongside the Nighthawk and the Bandit 600. Then have the SV650 compared against the Ducati Monster (750 or 900), the H-D XL1200S Sportster Sport and the Buell M2 Cyclone. Oh, yes and the Honda VTR1000 Super Hawk...
Old 01-07-2001, 02:23 PM   #30
tony
Founding Member

Default Re: New Shootout: M900D Vs. ZR-7S Vs. SV650

Isn't the ex just a zx10 with two cylinders cut off. The zx10 was a mid 80's bike. I guess they could get a 600 by cutting to cylinders off the the zx12.

The tdm for Yamaha never did sell well in the US

and it was an inline 2 cylinder. I don't think you will see them bring an inline two cylinder bike at the 750 size. The only way they could sell very many is if it is a budget bike like the gs500 or the ninja 500.

I don't know why Americans want vtwin and inline fours but that seems what they are willing to pay for.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote