Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-05-2001, 10:55 AM   #1
RacerX
Founding Member

Default Re: Boot Shootout

What a great idea, I just returned a good pair of riding boots because

they didn't fit. I wear a size 11 and the tip of the boots were a little too narrow

for my foot, this said it would be great to see this kind of info on your site. It would be great to see all kinds of boots compared because not everyone can afford $250. set of boots.

RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2001, 12:53 PM   #2
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I've owned several pairs,most havebeenquite good but few have stood out... The stand outs (good and bad) are:

AGV Prexport Boots - Terrible... Sizing was fairly accurate, and boots were fairly comfortable, but the Colors bled, Stitching came undone, etc...

Alpinestar GP Pros - Fantastic, extremely comfy, good protection, etc...

Alpinestar Tech 7 (MotoX) - Fantastic (once broken in) The break in was a little long, but worth it... very tough, awesome protection and quite comfy.
Old 01-05-2001, 12:55 PM   #3
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

P.S. I've never tried them, but I'veheard great things about the Daytonas... Would love to read a comprehensive review of the internal armor Daytonas
Old 01-05-2001, 01:51 PM   #4
provegan
Founding Member

Here's my interests

Rate the boots on: Protection, Comfort, Inner Laces vs. Zippers (what works best?), Can you walk in them?, waterproofness, value/price equation.

Even if you don't rate & test a bunch of boots, It might be a good idea to just take a bunch of categories and and discuss the pros and cons, i.e. Maximum protection - well, you can't walk in them. Real good to walk in - sorry, they are too skimpy to help you in a bad crash. etc. I'd like to hear what somebody has to say about this.

This topic is alot like buying tires, they are expensive and the only way you get to find out how they really work is to pony up and try em out. If you don't like em, tough luck, you are stuck.

There are so many priorities we face as bikers, you may end up with a boot shootout series. Address MX, cruiser, sport, full on racing, touring in separate articles. The priorities of capabilities mean alot to these different applications. I vote for street sport/touring boots as the first shootout.

Is there boot nirvana? Can a single boot be used for multiple purposes?

I put in five years of riding in lace up logging boots (Chippewa, Red Wing, whatever I had), never drove in the rain, never crashed in em. They were comfortable to wear, and when I got where I was going, I'd go to work or play and didn't change boots.

Now, I'm getting more specialized and purchased AeroStitch Combat Touring boots by SIDI. I've got a few months and 4,000 miles in on em and have this to say: Likes: Seem protective, lace ups are secure and adjustable. Dislikes: Stiff, haven't broken in, I ordered the wrong size (I wear a 9 and ordered a size 42, ordered by mail, was told they take time to stretch), I'm having them stretched at a shoe repair place, on the first outing I couldn't even shift!, I can't walk in them, there is NO way I can wear heated socks inside them, whine whine whine. Overall, I think once they break in, they'll be great while I'm on the bike for warmer temps and I'll need flip flops or walking shoes for tramping around. (I mostly do weekend sport touring rides, and I like to stop and look at the sights along the way, which means walking)

provegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 02:07 PM   #5
folski
Founding Member

I have been in the boot market for about 2 years. I've worn the same pair of Georgia boots since 1989, with well over 100Kmi logged on them. They are comfortable, durable, and until about 2 years ago, very waterproof. Why is it so hard to find a respectable pair of boots that you can wear to commute, tour, corner scratch, and still wear around town after a 600 mile day and not look like a mutant? There's gotta be something out there for around $200 (mine cost $120 in '89). Help!!
folski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 02:11 PM   #6
folski
Founding Member

I ordered a pair of Joe Rocket Bullet boots in a desperate moment - being in denial over the prices of boots these days. What junk!! They felt like plastic, gave me no sense of protection, had these dumb little pads in sole lining, and I had no reason to believe they'd last through one season, or even one rainy day ride. The boots went back in return mail after a 2-minute trial fit. Why are these clowns in business?
folski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 07:52 PM   #7
Mikey
Registered Member

Default Re: Check your logic, please

Perhaps some people feel that $250 for less than a sq. yd. of leather and plastic is outrageous. There are plenty of perfectly functional highly protective boots designed for street riding that are priced well below $250. Price is no measure of quality or protection.

Some people also prefer not to have their lives owned by other people, or corporations, just so that they can spend beyond their means. I can buy a reliable motorcycle for $500 and insure it for less than $75/yr. Does this mean that I should automatically go out and spend $1500 on a custom leather suit, $300 on gloves, $300 on boots, and $600 on a helmet? Of course it doesn't, but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't spend something on some kind of riding gear. Just my humble opinion.

Regards,

Mike
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 03:42 AM   #8
BuellBoy
Founding Member

I value comfort, protection and looks. The boot can be the most comfortable boot in the world with terrific protection features built in, but if it makes me look like a refugee from "Star Trek" when I'm off the bike, I don't want it. I have a few pairs of "Ricky Racer" boots which I'll wear to motorcycle gatherings, but MOST of the time, I'm going to the office or other non-motorcycle type places. I've tried a number of different boots over the years and my favorites right now are the Cruiserworks products. Waterproof, protection, comfortable, and they look like normal dress boots. Can't go wrong with that combination!!
BuellBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 06:49 AM   #9
FieryErmine
Founding Member

Default Re: Check your logic, please

Honestly, I can't see what the big deal about registering is. I've registered, I don't receive any unsolicited E-mail and it really wasn't a problem.

I don't see what good a "boot shootout" will be. You can compare features for a price, but comfort will depend on the shape of someone's foot and I couldn't think that there would be any way to tell how effective a particular boot would be from a safety standpoint.

I think the only way to compare boots will be to go to the store and compare them yourself.

That being said, I'll probably read the feature with interest.

Ermine.
FieryErmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 09:33 AM   #10
Kew
Founding Member

I think it's a great idea. Boots have such a huge range in price (and quality) that every little bit of real world "wearibility" that you guys can determine will be much appreciated when it comes to choosing a boot that a person can be happy with. If you do have the shootout please take into consideration that not everyone can drop down two to four hundred bucks for boots. Include some affordable (cheap) footwear.
Kew is offline   Reply With Quote