Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-06-2001, 01:01 PM   #11
A_Nominal_Squid
Founding Member

Default Re: Check your logic, please

As you seem to have no problem putting your name (or pseudonym) to your post, what prevents you from registering? Privacy concerns? Make a pseudonym. Fear of big-evil-corporation? Ditto. Weblogs that allow anonymous posting merely attract random idiots. Labelling them doesn't cut down on it much, but I would refer you to kuro5hin. There you MUST be registered in order to post comments, and the blithering-idiot posts are very low. Not that it's perfect, but it's a case for registration. And yes, you can do the pseudonym routine there too, if you like anonymity.

A Nominal Squid

A_Nominal_Squid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2001, 01:05 PM   #12
A_Nominal_Squid
Founding Member

Default Re: Boot Shootout

I wear my Alpinestars GPS boots any time I get on a bike, and usually wind up wearing them all day at work too. Working in an office helps there, though. Very comfortable, though the arch is a tad flatter than my feet like. Have nothing but good things to say about them myself.
A_Nominal_Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 04:36 PM   #13
FrankS
Founding Member

I'm replying here, because the MO software isn't taking any more comments to the original article.

When I shopped for boots, I wanted comfort and protection in that order. After trying on a number of kinds, I wound up with BMW labeled (made in Italy) boots. The price was at least $75 higher than the other ones I tried. I figure that $25 of the extra was for the quality, the other $50 was for the cute little Rondel sewed to the boots, and dealer markup. My riding was commuting and touring, now is mild sport riding and touring (I'm retired).

My summary:

(1) Comfort is great. I've had to walk a fair piece in them - even climbed Mt. Lassen! - and they are wonderful. Despite scrapes and years of use, they remain waterproof. I guess I must have a BMW foot, since they have always felt good.

(2) Protection is fair to poor. Twice, spills have put me on crutches for several weeks while sprains have healed. While the ankle was healing, I wished I had bought race oriented boots with more support.

Of course, then I'd have to carry walking shoes at all times.

Being zip type, they are easy to change. It's just the logistics of extra shoes that's a problem.

I don't see how a shootout would work. How do you compare fit? Who volunteers to slide out on ice and let the motorcycle twist his ankle as he's going down? (one of my spills..) I don't give a d*** about appearance, but it's important in racing type boots, apparently. Who decides what looks good?

Listing price, features, how much armor, how much flex where, apparent quality of stitching and waterproofing (if any) can all be part of a comparison. And pictures, for those idiots who need to look cool. But I wouldn't pay a bit of attention to staff ranking - it's meaningless to all but the staff members.
FrankS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 04:59 PM   #14
FrankS
Founding Member

Default Reply format

Hey, you changed the location of the reply button. I'd written something over there, which I thought was worth sharing with you and your readers, but the reply button wasn't in line.

Not a good choice of locations, fellas.

But to repeat the meat of what I wrote: BMW boots fit ME fine (YMMV) they walk great, they protect fair to poor.

Use them as the standard for "lots of comfort, lots of price, need improvement in the twisted ankle area". As compared with all out racing boots (lots of protection, lousy for walking even to the starting grid) or "engineer boots" (cheap, might protect against road rash).
FrankS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 04:59 PM   #15
jjohnson24
Founding Member

I have used Sidi and Alpinestars both but.... I live in the South, home of hot summertime riding. I found a pair of Rocky Boots that are waterproof ( I road over the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming in driving rain with dry feet ) and are much cooler ( temperature wise ). It is a boot out of their police-EMT catalog.The boots have a heavy cordura outer with leather armour in critical points with Gore-tex lining. It laces up. They offer and optional lace up zipper- you have to see it to understand it for those who like zippers. It has an aggressive sole and is very comfortable to walk in.Black only. Price- $120 list and you can usually find them for less on the net or at dealers. These boots allow me to ride with safe feet in the summer.
jjohnson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 07:35 PM   #16
bobdog
Founding Member

Default One pair won

I was shopping for that one specail pair of riding boots after wearing a pair of Red Wings for years. I ended up getting Sidi On Roads, which are great for day rides and longer trips, but too clunky for wearing around town. I just happened to be down at the BMW shop one day and there was a pair of those little Sidi half-boots, I forgot what they're called, but they were on sale and in my size, so I snagged them. They're a compromise, not as much protection, but they slip on and off easy and are great for that quick trip to the store.

I think what you should try to do in a boot comarison is look at form and functionality. Both are important, especially if you're going to get off your bike once you make the destination. A lot of these racier boots are great when you're strapped in, but I wouldn't get caught dead wearing them in public. It would be cool if you could narrow the test down to discover if there really is one universal boot. But I don't know if that is possible.
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 08:40 PM   #17
SugarMrPoon
Founding Member

Default Re: Check your logic, please

Make him pay too.
SugarMrPoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 09:22 PM   #18
Non-Squid
Founding Member

I'd like to see tests on casual style sport-touring/commuting boots. Like so many other posters, I don't want a boot that would look strange at work or in town. I'd like a moderate price, under $200. They must be relatively comfortable to walk in. I don't expect road-race protection, but the boots should afford some support in a crash.

I've been riding for many years, but I've never bought a pair of real motorcycle boots. A primer on selecting boots would be helpful.
Non-Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 11:18 PM   #19
Gabe
Founding Member

Default Right!

Our intensive care units are full to the rafters with FOOT INJURY cases. Much better to have foot protection than head protection.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 11:24 PM   #20
Gabe
Founding Member

Default PROTECTION!!!!

If you are only interested in comfort, you might as well wear Timberlands or combat boots, since these are just as protective as most of the "street" motorcycle boots out there.

I busted my leg just above the ankle wearing sidi "race" boots with plastic/rubber padding on the shins and ankles. This was 5 years ago, and I have always wondered if a pair of the Daytona Safety boots would have protected my ankles. And if the answer is yes, than why don't ALL the manufacturers make a boot like this? If your product doesn't offer the ultimate protection possible, it shouldn't be marketed as having armor or being protective.

I am most interested in the AlpineStars GP pro boot with the C-F armor over the ankles. If it offers actual protection, I will buy a pair.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote