Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-18-2004, 06:14 AM   #11
Dryfly
Registered Member

Default Re: 2004 Yamaha R1

I want one.........Now!!
Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2004, 06:23 AM   #12
nweaver
Founding Member

Default D*MN, that's S*X on 2 wheels...

The R1 is way way way too much bike for me, but damn it looks good.

If only they made the 600 look as good...
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 06:33 AM   #13
ewok1
Founding Member

i wonder if his article is enough to get you thinking that it may be time to trade up from that dog slow 954?

i know i am ready to get one of those idaho antique license plates for my 7r.

i expect congress will hold a hearing on the article.

it's probably time to ban hole-hog on the internet. for one thing it's impossible to determine if it is a word or a phrase.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 06:47 AM   #15
johnnyb
Founding Member

I'm concerned that the 5mm thinner brake discs may warp, in addition to the hog hole. By the by, this thing uses fractured con-rod big-ends (but Yamaha didn't want people to think they are "broken.") I too remember the wild Croatian Retsinab from the `00 R1 launch, slithering across Catalunya like a spavined anaconda...

Nice Scoop guys! SA, is this one overall easier to ride than last year's? I bet it is, and more comfy too. How's the new 32 bit FI work compared to last year's, which was the smooooothest system going? People seem to be intimidated by 180 horsepower and all that, but oftentimes really powerful bikes are easy to ride, provided there's smooth delivery. Am I right? well am I? Yes of course I am. Er, when can I borrow that for a summer?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 06:54 AM   #17
johnnyb
Founding Member

also sounds like a little more preload in back to deal with your considerable mass might've fixed things right up but I imagine you tried that eh?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:09 AM   #18
ebass
Founding Member

Default Careful JB...

... that 180 hp may be too much power for a brittle retiree such as yourself to handle going hole hog. One ill-timed sneeze and you may find yourself hurtling head over hog hole down the Ortega Highway.

Nothing personal, oh great and mighty legend, but MO is so much more entertaining in the abscence of your proofreading skills!

Tongue in cheekily yours,

EBass
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:19 AM   #19
gforces
Founding Member

umm, just do what the germans do and stick some higher handlebars on--or wait for the new FZ1.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:01 AM   #20
Flickmeister
Registered Member

Ringing statement of the obvious.....another year where us sportbike aficionados wont' have one second to be bored. All of these monsters (along with last year's winner, the GSXR1000) are so damned good that it will be a matter of what features, what styling, and what dealer appeals to you most. Though time (and the required shootouts) will tell, I wouldn't be surprised if my current steed ('03 Gixxer Thou) finishes last or close to the bottom of the food chain. Doesn't matter one iota to me. Any of these bikes are incredible winners. The far bigger question is whether rider abilities and improvements are any where near keeping the pace of this hi-tech machinery. History shows that the bikes get better, the riders don't, and lap times stay the same (not including bonafide roadracers).

As far as the bikes go, from what I've read so far, the Honda applies power to the ground better and sooner, is deceiving in it's ability to generate great speed, and has great brakes. The Kawi steers the quickest and really screams, has great brakes, but may be a little slap happy. The Yammie has a good balance of quick steering and a screaming top end, and the Gixxer may still have the most power in the low & mid range, steering reasonably quickly with great stability. I HATE IT when people write into forums and tell us how a bike works before anyone has ridden the thing (which I sort of just did). Conjecture means absolutely nothing. I read everything I can get my hands on, but then form my own opinion. I have found some of the moto press to be very accurate (according to my needs) and others to be way off base. So, read what you need, but form your own opinions, buy according to what will work best for you, and will provide you with the biggest grin factor. Even the last place bike (I'd guess the Gixxer) is so incredibly good, we all win. The best investment we can make is constantly trying to improve our riding skills to appreciate these incredible beasts even more. From what I've read so far, the neatest newest sportbike for having a ball on the street is the GSXR600 (along with the rest of it's 600cc brethren). For the old & lazy, such as myself, there is something thoroughly intoxicating about have real power at 4000 RPM. Long live the Big Dogs! Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote