Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-11-2004, 04:29 PM   #1
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Suzuki GSX-R 600 Track Test

While I am all for technological advancement, and I do like Yossef's insights on the improvements over last years offerings, these types of motorcycles leave me a little nonplussed. I'm afraid that the capabilities of modern sporting motorcycles exceeded my own several years ago. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2004, 04:54 PM   #2
F451
Founding Member

As always, I enjoy Yossef's reporting. Glad to see the vidcam is working once again, but wish there was a QuickTime video provided. These bikes are getting wickedly fast and agile and I agree with the first poster...they are getting far beyond my scope of skills. Still, it's great to see such engineering brought to fruition.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:43 PM   #3
zorak
Founding Member

Default Tasty package...

Wow, Suzuki is back in the 600 class.

Sky high redline and useable power, Suzuki-slick gearbox and killer brakes.

I was drawn to the 636 engine, but hesitant about the Kawasaki's steering quickness for the street. Sounds like the Suzuki has a comparable engine with a more stable chassis.

Looking forward to the shootout!

zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:09 PM   #4
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Regardless of skill level, there is nothing quite like reaching your own limit in the controlled environment of a racetrack. Suzuki is my pusher. Give me my new designer drug. I am addicted. I hope I am never cured

This could be the track day tool of choice. I need one.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:16 PM   #5
aknopak
Founding Member

Same here, I am fascinated by bikes like this, but can't imagine getting one for the street. They do not seem to make any sense outside tracks.

Yossef, nice review and video, you did seem to have a moment in the corner before the chicane with the rear apparently stepping out, ouch! That's no drizzle either, that's called rain!
aknopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 02:25 AM   #6
waepoint
Founding Member

Great job, Yossef. I wholly agree that, while the new liter crowd are sexy and wicked, the 600 battle is where it's at for most mortals. I bought a 636 last year and love it for both street and track, but damn if the Suzuki hasn't gone and raised the bar for everyone. Excellent report on an exciting bike.

And while I know styling is subjective, any thoughts about how it looks in person? Gixxer's usually strike me as origami in a paintball explosion, but from the picts, I'd have to say this is the first race-rep 'Zook in a long time that might actually qualify as 'gorgeous.'
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:26 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

I essentially agree with you. However the improving chassis in recent years make riding one of these things a safer propostion than in years past. If you are into mainly canyon carving and such these bikes still make a good choice for riding off the track.

I want one. Of course, I want one of everything. Except maybe a Rune.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:35 AM   #8
mile_eater
Founding Member

Why can't I get excited about this bike? Even after the fabulous review... I still find myself thinking... 636... 636.... 636...
Old 02-12-2004, 05:08 AM   #9
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

I have come to look at it this way: it makes going fast much easier than it was on bikes several years older. Try doing a lap on a 1994 CBR900, then a lap on a new ZX-10R-----which one do you think you will do better on? Obviously no average or even above average rider can take a bike to the absolute limit and emerge unscathed, but every new successive model makes a higher level of performance and speed accessible to everyone than they could have attained previously.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 05:38 AM   #10
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Abe, while I agree that modern motocycles handle better, and are capable of better lap times than the bikes of yore, The difference between this years hot setup and any sport bike from the big four made in the last few years is infinitesimal for the average canyon carver. Unless you are a top echelon rider, even the difference in your lap times will be negligible. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote