Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-14-2004, 04:45 AM   #82
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re:Hey Guys, wait for me!!!!

Yeah but then you woke up and had to go back to school.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 07:11 AM   #83
tumbler
Founding Member

Default Re: Sportbikes don't kill riders. Riders and Cruisers kill Riders

Safe riding is safe riding reguardless of equipment. There is a reason that insurance on sportbikes is far more than 800lbs cruisers with bad brakes. It's human nature, if it says don't pull, people will pull, particularly the throttle on 100+hp 400lbs sportbike. Sportbikes might have better brakes and acceleration, but the vast majority of cruiser still out perform cars (In the realistic can afford category!) in the same tests.

Having just said all of that I do feel much safer on my yzf than on even my former ninja 500. I also do stupider things on my yzf, too!
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 08:50 AM   #84
imported_g_k
Registered Member

Default Re: 2004 Suzuki GSX-R 600 Track Test

I agree with this point of view, but I wonder what percentage of sportbike riders ever actually try "doing a lap." I know that track days are increasing in popularity, but I still think participants are a minority of sportbike owners. On the other hand, I like, and am often willing to pay for, the latest, trickest equipment. I just don't see the necessity for only applying the newest technology to track-oriented scoots; I enjoy my '01 Aprilia Mille R, but if I had the choice when I bought it I'd have opted for a Tuono instead. I came to this conclusion after buying an '02 KTM Duke II, which isn't fast, but does have a lot of cool parts (WP suspension, Brembo brakes, BBS wheels).

I think the Japanese manufacturers are missing out on a potential market for those who'd opt for a "Tuono-ized" version of their favorite sportbike who'd be willing to pay for having the cool motors, frames, suspension, wheels, brakes, etc. if they were part of a more upright package. Like a Tuono, but not like a 600 Fazer or Bandit. I still like blasting around mountain roads on my Aprilia, but I don't think I'd enjoy a Tuono any less, although I'd have been willing to pay the extra $$ for the "R" spec level. I don't think I'm alone in my opinion (although if I'm wrong, it won't be for the first time).
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:45 PM   #86
Nplateau
Founding Member

Is it a YZF600R? I really like that bike. It would be nice if they upgraded it to EFI and put a bigger wheel out back. Other than that, they can basically keep that bike the way it is. I went to the dealer today and sat on one as well as the other 600s available. The YZF is supremely comfortable, and far more to my tastes than the newer repli-racers (in terms of comfort). I figure it has about all the performance I'll be needing.
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 04:27 AM   #87
tumbler
Founding Member

Yes it is. All of the things you just asked for are available in the fz6, minus the incredibly obnoxous-to-remove plastic. I want that bike, but right now isn't the best time for me to buy a new bike. Plus I don't buy vehicles the first year they come out.
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:37 AM   #88
caderider
Registered Member

I'll take that Rune (unless I gotta pay for it )
Old 02-19-2004, 08:04 AM   #89
caderider
Registered Member

I agree, riding my Cavalcade or Goldwing
Old 02-20-2004, 02:38 PM   #90
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re:Hey Guys, wait for me!!!!

This one time, at band camp...