Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-12-2004, 02:46 PM   #31
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: 2004 Suzuki GSX-R 600 Track Test

When I started riding the most powerful bikes got about 60HP. Today an SV650 with more than that is considered a beginner's bike. People don't realize how much fun a less powerful bike can be.

Some of the most fun I ever had was riding an RD350 with a mere 37HP. Or storming around Tujunga Canyon on a 25HP Yammer YDS3 250 with 20:1 premix leaving a cloud of smoke. I could really wring it out and push it's limits (Remember to bring a pocketful of plugs). Especially considering how poor the tires were.

I bet one of those new Suzi GS500F's would be a real hoot.

It's more fun to go fast on a slow bike than to go slow on a fast bike.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2004, 02:58 PM   #32
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Wow! That's really interesting.
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 03:06 PM   #33
Nplateau
Founding Member

The Ninja 250 is a ridiculously fun bike. It only has 27hp but weighs about 300 lbs or so. Not to mention a fun 14000 rpm redline. The suspension sucks though.
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:10 PM   #34
Flickmeister
Registered Member

I don't think the 750 will offer the best of both worlds. It probably will offer the quicker handling of the 600, though I would suggest the Thou' handles damn quickly especially if the steering damper is removed (trust me, for any sane street riding, it doesn't need it, though I haven't noticed the heavy steering at slow speeds some of the magazines have griped about). However, the 750's motor will probably be more like a 600 on steriods than have the torque of the 1000. Trust me, you get fabulous handling with any of these bikes but if you really want a MOTOR, the Thou' is the only way to go. I view the 750 as the bastard of the group (as has the AMA and WSB folks). The 600 offers a huge amount of performance for $8100, but you have to spin it to really make it go. The GSXR1000, at $10,600, has a motor that pulls hard from 3000 RPM. On the other hand, the 750 is priced at $9600. If it is like the previous GSXR 750's, the 600 will still marginally out handle it. The previous 750s were a bit faster than the 600s, but you still had to ride it like the 600, i.e.: rev the hell out of it to make it haul tail. For a measly $1000 more, the GSXR1000 offers a whole new world of engine performance. Some riders like to rev it up and grin like an idiot. If so, the GSXR600 may prove to be the best bike in it's class for you. On the other hand, if you like the torque of a BIG MOTOR, the Thou' is your only real choice. To me, the 750 doesn't have the benefits of a 600 or a 1000. For that reason, I can't justify the price difference. Understand, all of my criticism of the 750 is based on the price differential between the 750 & 1000. If the 750 cost $ 9000, I might be singing a whole different tune.

The fact of the matter is that 90%+ of us mere mortals would ride the 600 better and faster than the 750 or 1000, but being as old and lazy as I am, give me the monster motor every time.
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:17 PM   #35
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default You and Buz owe me

Told you he wasn't going anywhere. You both owe me a few beers on the way to Alaska.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:33 PM   #36
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re:Hey Guys, wait for me!!!!

I just got home from work, what happened to Kpaul did the little *****-stain bail on us?

I figured he'd be all over this 600 Suzuki like a cheap suit, being a 600 sportbike expert and all.....

Looks like you guys are cutting through the alter egos to find him, I wonder if he'd be gay enough to admit it if you caught him?

I'm afraid 600 class sportbikes eclipsed my riding ability about the same time my size eclipsed their comfort zone, cool bikes though but I think the new Kawasaki is all over this one.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:39 PM   #37
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: He's baaaack

Told you he wasn't going anywhere, us PNW homies got to stick together! AAAHHHHHHHA-HA-HA-HA.

No really Kpaul is like one of the tin-foil-hat-aliens-among-us types, Theres nothing more entertaining than a good harmless loon to chat with on a boring day.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:48 PM   #38
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Hogs

Shallow assholes like you deserve all the misery their prom queens can give them. Fat girls usually have less miles on them and are generally more pleasant to have around because they know they can't snap their fingers and have what they want.

A few extra pounds isn't a turn off to me, however I think grossly overweight or dirty people show a lack of self esteam wich is a deal breaker.. Every one of your posts reveals your childish and immature outlook
Old 02-12-2004, 06:56 PM   #39
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re:more fun going fast on a slow bike.......

that is a truth alot of people don't realise, theirs nothing like wringing the dog-knockers out of some little screamer

The first bike I put any street miles on was my dads cafe'd 250 Bultaco, I doubt it would do more than 60 but I thought I was Barry Sheene on the back roads around here.

In my opinion (and my OPINION only an R1 or Gixxer 1000 wouldn't be much fun unless you were working it pretty hard
Old 02-12-2004, 07:11 PM   #40
sarnali
Founding Member

You got it, The best bike for the track is not going to be the best bike for the street, buy the bike that fits your need not someone else's fantasy.

I'd love a performance car myself but right now my chevy van hauls my dogs, kids, and the ton of stuff they can't seem to go anywhere without in comfort and style.. sort of at least it's got phat wheels and a good sound system.