Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-12-2004, 09:20 AM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: How cool is this?

I've had enough exchanges with NPlateau to know it's KPaul. The NPlateau personality keeps changing. It's not consistent.

I called him out and he immediately replied as KPaul.

Apparently he fooled you though!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2004, 09:50 AM   #22
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Suzuki GSX-R 600 Track Test

Why commute in a Honda Civic or on a Harley Sportster? For all practical purposes you'd never be able to exploit thier 100+ MPH top speeds or maximum cornering ability in day-to-day traffic.

Why is a question that can only be answered by the buyer. Who are we to question someone else's choice of personal transportation? (Sure I kid eBass about riding that Big Dog Ridgeback, but I'd support his right to ride it, to my last breath.)
Old 02-12-2004, 11:15 AM   #23
RonXX
Founding Member

Why do you guys hate KP so much? Without him this forum will be less entertaining. Think how much fun it would be if the Highwayman responded to every story.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 11:46 AM   #24
burtonsimmons
Founding Member

I could commute in a Porsche, or my Oldsmobile. My Olds will top out at about 105, but has the usable power to pass anything I've ever wanted to. The interior is roomy, the Bose sound system is awesome, I have leg room, head room, and all sorts of comfort I'd never have in the purpose-built Porsche. True, I could enjoy the Porsche and never have to leave first gear in my commute, and true, I'll never use the top speed of my Olds, but the fact remains that for a greater percentage of my driving, the Olds is the better choice. Perhaps less romantic (to some), and it doesn't look quite as good in the parking lot (to some, but not me!), but the simple truth is that it's more useable for me.

The same goes for the Speed Four. It would be a whole lot more usable for me than a GSX-R 600 simply because the power is in a more usable area, the ergonomics are rumored to be better, and the day-to-day ridability is rumored to be more usable. Given the question, "Which should I buy to commute on?", the logical answer seems to be the Speed Four, despite it being less romantic (to some) a choice.

All that being said, of course, it's entirely up to the buyer's/rider's opinion. He can ride whatever he damn well pleases and the more variety, I say, the better! I was simply offering what I saw as a "logical opinion".
burtonsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 11:55 AM   #25
Flickmeister
Registered Member

About twenty years ago Art Friedman, the top dude at MOTORCYCLIST at that time wrote an interesting thought: "I've always had a skeptical attitude about buying the ultimate in handling. Playing in the corners is fun on almost any bike for me because the challenge is in tiptoeing up to, but not quite past, the limits of the machine. Sure, new or more sporting bikes offer traction, suspension and steering capabilities that can deliver you from unexpected surprises--if you are riding no faster than you would be if you didn't have the extra handling performance. Once you've found a bike that works comfortably at the pace you like to ride, carefully consider the value of technology that lets you consistently go faster than that pace. If you want a more capable bike because you want to go faster and the better bike expands the envelope that you're constanly pushing, it simply means you are raising the speed at which you will eventually crash."

I don't feel this is 100% true. For instance, a racer must have the best equipment and constantly expand that envelope to be competitive. However, there is a lot of truth to it with young, brash, uneducated riders (especially the crashing part). On the street, outright speed counts for very little. As far as I'm concerned, how much fun you are having while riding comfortably within your abilities is everything.
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 12:55 PM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I have fun tossing my Electra Glide around. It's a challenge to see how I can quickly hustle it down a curvy road.

My Ducati obviously offers much more performance, however I can't ever remember a bad day riding fast slowly.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 01:40 PM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, if Kook could stay in the rational Kook personality I'd have no problem with it.

It's the Knoweverythingbutgotnoexperience Kook that's so irritating. Along with the politicalflacoroftheweek Kook.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:48 PM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

I don't hate KP. If I saw him stranded in the desert I'd give him a ride out.

But don't think for a second that anything we did has anything to do with his departure.... if he's gone. Watch for creepy political links.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:50 PM   #29
maccasmark
Founding Member

I ride a 2002 CBR600F4i. Last year I went to the launch of the 2003 CBR600RR at Phillip Island.

The differences between these two bikes was amazing. In one session on the new CBR600RR myself and numerous others set new personal best lap times (and we felt like we were taking easy). And I am NOT a fast rider.

Keith Code's comments were written over 15 years ago. While riding skill (and fear) are still the most critical components to going faster, the recent handling developments certainly make a much bigger difference than they used to.

maccasmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 01:51 PM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

You're right. Notice the moderating that's been going on today.