Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-30-2004, 01:21 PM   #21
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Re: As Big As This Year's Superbike Comparo...well okay maybe not

I like this idea.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2004, 02:16 PM   #22
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Suzuki V-Strom 650

I'm looking at the V-Strom brothers as my next bike. For me, "off-road" means a rutted dirt road or maybe some gravel. The V-Strom will handle that as well as the KLR, but better than a big tourer or a sport bike (my previous plans).

To me (and I think I'm the prime target customer for this bike) it's all about being practical at a wide range of tasks without taking anything to an extreme. Where the SV beats it racing, the V-Strom wins at light touring which is more important to me and my passenger.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 02:50 PM   #23
mile_eater
Founding Member

I'm no suzuki fan, but I love these V-Stroms. I'm not 100% I would take it over the Kawi though...
Old 01-30-2004, 03:27 PM   #24
Chango
Founding Member

Default Re: As Big As This Year's Superbike Comparo...well okay maybe not

Sean has hinted that he is wanting to do a comparo much like the one you are dreaming about, but with a Ninja 500 instead of a 250, and a Speed Four, I think, and some other budget-type / standard bikes. He mentioned it a couple of weeks ago on some thread or another... Of course he also mentioned that it depends not just on what MO wants to do, but what bikes are available from which manufacturers and when they can get their hands on them. Even though my bike won't win (due to it not being sold anymore) I always enjoy reading about bikes that are similar in price and design to mine -- stuff that's generally a couple of generations behind the current batch of supersport 600's. Personally, I am anxiously awaiting. You hear me Sean? Don't waste any time trying to get any of those silly new grossly overpowered literbikes together for a comparison! Just worry about the budget/standard/cheap/practical/beginner bikes! Oh, and have fun writing it.

"Remember: It's always easier to do things the hard way." Chango
Old 01-30-2004, 04:30 PM   #25
bbtowns
Founding Member

I like my DL 1000 V-Strom so much, I can't decide whether to sell it or my Ducati! Great motor and chassis. If they've duplicated that with a lighter bike and smaller torquey twin it should make one hell of an adventure tourer. A stock 1000 was run in several national dual sport events last year, and had no problems, so these things can hold up.

BBT
Old 01-30-2004, 05:56 PM   #26
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Good work Suzuki. Hope you can sell lots of them. My wife and I just bought a pair of Kawasaki KLR 650's (slightly used 2000 and 2002 models) for a trip to Alaska. For the type of riding we're planning the V-Strom sounds like an excellent choice. Unfortunately, we don't have unlimited funds so a pair of new 650 V-Stroms is beyond our means. Just in case we get lucky in the lottery between now and July, could you save us a pair?
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 06:38 PM   #27
Double_L
Registered Member

Good stuff Sean! Entry speed was a little weak though in the first video. Put Pridmore on the bike, take him out to a dry lake bed and fire up the ol' digicam.
Double_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 03:04 AM   #28
boru4761
Registered Member

Has anybody been on the Suzuki site lately? I went on to check out the V stroms and the SVs and there were broken links and bad navigation everywhere. Are they fighting with their web designer?
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 05:10 AM   #29
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Pretty cool review Sean - I always suspected you were subversive in a much more fecund manner than the buttow down stockbroker exterior suggested. MO has found their guy.

I'm thiniking that the next project should involve a set of of knobbies on a Tuono and the Baja (that's south of Utah ), whaddya say?

Nice double entendre title as well -- do I detect the hand(s) of Ashley and/or Ebass here??

Finally GREAT website reorganization. I can see that you put a lot of thought and work into this long overdue housekeeping chore. Muy Bueno! I think that better days are ahead.

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 05:28 AM   #30
TuneREX
Founding Member

It's gotta be the worst website of all the Japanese builders. I just went there and it's working for me, but it doesn't always.
TuneREX is offline   Reply With Quote