Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-29-2004, 09:49 PM   #1
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Thanks Ian! Nice Review

As a potential VFR owner, I was definitely interested in this article. For rainy Seattle, I always have felt that an ABS VFR with hard luggage would be the perfect bike for my commute. Having seen the new VFR with the factory bags on it, I am concerned with the added width in the butt that hard bags would add. Your Corbins definitely tuck in tighter. Thanks for pointing out some of the shortcomings. For me it wouldn't be a big deal packing and unpacking stuff, since my gear has cases anyway. Thanks again, love the looks of your bike. Enjoy
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2004, 02:33 AM   #2
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: Corbin Beetle Bags Install & Review

Rain? He rode in the rain? Where'd you find this guy... He must be a 1%'er. 'Cause 99% of American motorcycle owners only take their toys out when all environmental factors are perfectly ideal - well if you go by ebay/classified writeups.

The thing that sucks about snow is that it doesn't wash the bike like rain does. I'm gonna have to break out the hose and bucket. If I can find them...

I thought Corbin's idea was pretty lousy. non-removable bags? What ARE they thinking? Go with the GIVI's. You can lane-split just fine with them unless you're trying to thread the needle. 1/2 the price, 4x the volume.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 03:51 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I'm kind of a friend of MO too so if you have a clutch for a Ducati or a 103" kit for a Harley lying around please email me asap.

Thanks!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 04:30 AM   #4
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Great article, Ian and thanks MO. I'm glad to here my experience with these bags was unique. The bags my wife had on her '98 VFR performed as well as yours in all aspects except they weren't watertight. I added some marine type weather stripping into the groove and that took care of it for the most part.

One thing they donÂ’t like at all is the parking lot or slow speed gravel tip over. The first thing to touch the ground is the forward outside corner of the bag. And they donÂ’t like it at all. They scratch very easily and it shows white. I went to a Line-X installer and had him shoot some of that rubber truck bed liner in an attractive pattern which covered that front corner up about 3 in. above the bottom and kind of swooped back towards the rear of the bag. It went around the edges less than an inch. Cost for both bags was $15 for color matched red. It looked great. Kinda like ballistics for the bags.

The next time she dropped the bike was again on gravel in a parking lot at the Americade Rally. No scratches at all and all she did to clean it was wipe the loose dust and gravel off the Line-X and it was good as new.

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 04:33 AM   #5
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

The GIVI bags are nice, that is true, but then they are only slightly more attractive than a milk crate bungeed to the fender rack.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:37 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Have you considered a trike?

I mean, it's just a suggestion.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 04:55 AM   #7
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: Have you considered a trike?

Smart a$$.

I did suggest training wheels to her and I got the same reply from her that I just gave you. She, of course, was quite serious.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:13 AM   #8
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Givi's Were My Choice

I seriously considered getting the Beetle Bags before going with the Givi's, and 43,000 miles later I don't regret the choice at all. The Givi's actually started out on my Bandit, then moved to the 01 VFR when I bought it. That is a big advantage of the Givi's, they are not bike specific. I only had to purchase an $80 braket set to make the move. I keep the 3 bags on my VFR all the time now, as I use the bike for my 26 mile each way commute. The Givi's are absolutely waterproof. I don't know how they will do in a drop, I have yet to test that aspect (knock on wood). The capacity of the Givi's is also great for motorcycle camping. I've gone on 5 day camping trips with the Givi's. My tent sleeping bag, food, everything fits in my bags (just barely). The down side is the Givi bags are a bit beauty challenged. If not downright ugly. But after all these miles I think my bike would look wrong without them. The locking bags my a bike a practical everyday transportation vehicle. I can hold up to 6 bags of groceries plus a gallon of milk and a box of kitty litter. As an engineer, that kind of functionality easily trumps the superior looks of the Beetle bags.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:19 AM   #9
Agent0090
Founding Member

"The overall fit and finish, hinges, locks and the fact that the inside of the bags was lined with industrial carpeting got me soo excited that I wanted to mount the bags that night."

Easy, boy. I know you like 'em and all, but . . .
Agent0090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:22 AM   #10
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Have you considered a trike?

getting them sprayed with that line-x stuff is a really good idea.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote