Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-22-2004, 11:09 AM   #1
GogglesPaisano
Founding Member

Default Re: XRs Gone Wild!

(1st post?)

XR750s rule. Evel said the torque would tweak the frames, making the bikes want to drift to the side on launch.

Still a cool bike all these years later.

-=Goggles=-
GogglesPaisano is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

How many of us pretended we were Evel Kneivel when we were kids. He was a legend in the 70s.

Not long ago Evel was interviewed on Jim Rome's radio show. Evel mentioned to Rome that he thought his chances of surviving the Snake River jump were about 50/50.

Rome, "Then why do it if you thought you had a 50 percent chance of dying?"

Evel, "Do you know who the hell I am?"

It had to be the greatest response of all time from a world-class showman.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
Agent0090
Founding Member

Nostalgic. Fluffy. Yawn.
Agent0090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:30 PM   #4
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Street-legal XR

A street-legal XR has long been one of my wet dreams -- bein' basically a p#ssy, I'd probably wuss out and do the Sportster conversion (I think Storz sells the necessary bits).

Know anyone who makes an XR-style twin carb head conversion to fit a modern Sportster motor? Gotta have those twin velocity stacks to complete the look!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:58 PM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: XRs on bean oil...

Hey, regarding the Pit Bull XR from Echo Park; I thought you had to "pre-heat" bean oil in a four-stroke, before it would lubricate.

That's why, back in the day, racing cars and bikes (that ran castor bean oil) used kerosene lit, "pre-heaters" that got the bean oil up to operating temp, before starting the motor.

A buddy of mine, that runs an SCTA flathead ford, commented that cold bean oil "is like sandpaper."

True?

Old 01-22-2004, 01:16 PM   #6
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: XRs on bean oil...

I understand that bean oil will make that motor fart like a dog. A couple drops of Beano takes care of that problem.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:34 PM   #7
caseyheilman
Founding Member

Hmmm. Yawn. Harley History. I guess long-term updates about current models aren't available. Or articles about which pipes work best on whatever motorcycles. Or a first hand account of riding any NEW motorcycle. And I mean any. You Know, Like a Motorcycle Magazine?
caseyheilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:45 PM   #8
waepoint
Founding Member

Cool article. As someone relatively new to motorcycling (about 7 yrs) and exclusively a Jap/sportbike rider, I enjoyed the insight into H-D's that didn't have fringe-wearing lawyers and accountants aboard.
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 02:39 PM   #9
KPaulCook
Banned

Default An Interesting Idea how to save manufacturing jobs in the United States

"Tax Breaks to Expand Manufacturing Jobs in the U.S. Over 2.7 million manufacturing jobs have been lost since President Bush took office. John Kerry will save jobs by ending the unpatriotic practice of U.S. corporations moving offshore simply to avoid paying their fair share of our nationÂ’s tax burden. To create new manufacturing jobs Kerry will:

Get the Crane-Rangel-Hollings legislation enacted, which provides a corporate rate reduction to manufacturers who produce goods in the United States;

Propose a new jobs tax credit to encourage manufacturing companies to stay and expand in America. When a manufacturing company creates jobs above their 12 month average, the payroll taxes of the new employees will be refunded for two years.

Immediately restore and double funding for the Manufacturing Extension Partnership that President Bush slashed by 80%."

Click here

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 09:03 PM   #10
F451
Founding Member

Totally Americana...and I love it!
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote