Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-17-2004, 10:53 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Kawasaki Vulcan 2000

Somehow I doubt there will be any of the Highwayman's work on any college's reading lists.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2004, 11:08 AM   #22
wrecks
Founding Member

I can't wait until they come out with the three litre air-cooled SINGLE! With a 9 inch stroke, like me! CAN YOU IMAGINE THE TORQUE?!?!
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 11:21 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Default It might even.....

...shake as bad as a '54 BSA 500 single I rode years ago.

A nine inch stroke would give a, what, 2000 rpm redline? The rear tire would look like like a gemstone from the way the engine would jerk the rear wheel around.

Cool!
Old 01-17-2004, 11:33 AM   #24
macmanjim
Founding Member

Actually, I ride a cruiser, a Vulcan 800 Classic, which is OK and keeps me out of trouble. My experience prior to this has been standards, like the Kz and GPz types of bikes. I am too big to be comfortable on any real sport bike, but I'd love to try one. ideally, I should have gotten the ZRX1200 or even a Concours, but at least I am riding.

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
macmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 11:42 AM   #25
EbonFlame
Founding Member

I've never having ridden a cruiser and I don't own a Connie, but I will admit that sport-standards and sportbikes are where my passions lie. Of course I do own an SV650, but we won't go there...

Yeah, riding is riding, definitely, and I would really like to try riding a cruiser some day to see if I 'get it.'

So, even as a cruiser rider, you feel the V2000 misses the mark? Is it too much?
EbonFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:04 PM   #26
bigjames
Premium Member

My Word, they have even copied the old FLH headlight cowl. It does not matter how big it is (Harley hasn't done this,yet, for a variety of very good reasons, frame, rider ability, EPA and how do you stop the damn thing once it gets rolling and still loog and act like a cruiser), the bottom line is a clone, is a clone, is a clone. I'll stick with my slow ponderous Harleys when in cruise mode. When I am in a hurry and want to even be a bit stylish, I'll take my K1200LT, crank up the stereo and just ride. Shoot, I'll even wave when these bigs Kawi's stop for gas, often.....

BigJames
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:36 PM   #27
sqidbait
Founding Member

CAN YOU IMAGINE THE TORQUE?!?!

What's to imagine? It's in theatres right now...

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:38 PM   #28
RubberPants
Registered Member

Ya ... I had one and that was the late 70's I still say after all these years that was one of the neatest bikes I had and I've had about 20 since!!
Old 01-17-2004, 01:48 PM   #29
SmokeU
Registered Member

LMFAO

I agree with you there.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:53 PM   #30
macmanjim
Founding Member

I got the cruiser because my back couldn't take being bent over on a sport type bike anymore. The 800 classic was in my price range and I bought it. The other thisng is that I am 6'5" and weigh 300 Lbs. new sport bikes aren't made for me. As far as tha V2K goes, I think it is over priced and unsophisticated from a technological standpoint. Most cruiser guys don't care and I don't get it either. My first bike was a 1978 KZ1000. That bike, before or after the 1260 big bore kit in it, would run circles around any factory cruiser today and it's 25 year old tech. I thing the real deal is that cruisers are targeted for older re-entry type riders who want a look and don't care as much about function in terms of performance. What's happening is that cruisers are cheap to make, cheaper for R&D than sportbikes and because they sell more of them than any other type I am told, they must be paying for the R&D of everything else. I am sure the profit margins for cruisers are at least 33%, if not 50%. The same goes for SUVs. People are willing to fork over 40K for a suburban that cost Chevey 20K to make. I don't care about chrome, or leather saddlebags. If anything, the 800 reminds me of my Rupp minibike. Someday when I get a few sheckles saved, I'll get something more exciting.

2009 R1200RT

My Motorrad
macmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote