Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-15-2004, 04:55 PM   #1
mps165
Founding Member

Default Re: M2R MR-1000 Helmet

The orange two on the helmet matches his mustache. The chicks will love him.
mps165 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2004, 05:38 PM   #2
sarnali
Founding Member

When I got my new $400 Shoei a guy at work was razzing me because his gold metalflake(circa '75) 3/4 helmet only cost him $20. at the swap meet. I remember thinking he's probably the stupidest ***** I ever met, and $ 20. was too much to protect his head.

These might be good enough, and definatly better than nothing, but I'll go on paying a premium for Shoei's and the like.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 06:18 PM   #3
F451
Founding Member

Default Mullet Man eBass

Is that eBass sport'n a double chin? Holy crap it's the front portion of the bloody helmet! Actually, word is out that eBass is wearing a full-face as he grow'n a mullet.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 07:26 PM   #4
wrecks
Founding Member

I know they're probably safer but I hate flashy graphic lids. Mine's a plain anthracite rf900 shoei.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 10:56 PM   #5
arnoha
Founding Member

Product review...I like this. Fact is, bike tests may be really cool, but most of us can't be buying new bikes too often. Gear gets swapped around much more frequently. As an added bonus, gear reviews are more helpful. Most of us, for whatever reason, are emotionally tied to a given brand/bike/category. (Me, I was looking for a middleweight, comfortable, Japanese, water-cooled, injected naked that could take my 6'2"/170 lbs. frame. I bought an FZ-6. (Believe it or not, the specs came first, bike choice later.)) Gear choices tend to not be quite so irrational. (Yep, I'm savin' up for the pug ugly 'Stich. $1000 when you add the alterations to fit my funny size. Ouch.)

That said...two paragraphs?! On a helmet? Without a word about comfort? Could you expand this one after a couple hundred miles with the lid on? Pressure points? Fogging? Shield optics? Temperature? Noise? Buffeting? Scratch resistance? (Why is it that my black Shoei picks up scratches are a mere crossed look, where my white Simpson auto helmet, otherwise totally unrefined in comparison, can roll around and still look clean?)

Oh, and to contradict myself yet again, I wouldn't mind a middleweight naked shootout. FZ-6 vs. SV650S vs. Monster 620 vs. F650CS vs. 599. I'm missing one and I can't think of it...
arnoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:00 PM   #6
arnoha
Founding Member

Okay, sorry, I checked again... "...comfortable, if not opulent...". Four words on comfort.
arnoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 12:11 AM   #7
bollert
Registered Member

I bought two matching HJC Streetfighters. Nice looking, not too heavy, pretty comfortable. However, sounds like riding in a 747 with my head out the window when riding over 35 mph. I'm back to wearing my old rf-900. My point is: my next helmet will be a top-dollar unit that doesn't leave my ears ringing after going to the grocery store...
bollert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:27 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

The $400 Shoei (paid $250 close out price) I bought 5 years ago is getting long in the tooth and will need replacement soon. I'm considering a Nolan. A friend of mine bought one and he really likes it. Says it's light, quiet, faceplate opens up, comfortable and came in under $200.00. Apparently it's vastly superior to the $150 HJC he bought that rapidly became very noisy.

Nolan might be a decent alternative to the, I think, overblown prices of some of the big name helmets.

It'd be a nice to see a comprehensive test of a plethora of helmets like Motorcyclist did back in the '80s.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:32 AM   #9
cyclesteve
Registered Member

You will find the Stich to be worth every penny
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 03:42 AM   #10
maladg
Registered Member

Hmmm...I've owned several Shoei's and one Arai over the last 15 or 20 yrs (Bells before that) and danged if I've EVER had a truly quiet helmet. Guys...earplugs - they work very well.

I finally converted to a flip open helmet last yr. The Schuberth (sp?) did not fit in any size. Ditto for the Shoei version. Settled on an HJC Symax. Very comfy and works with my glasses (reason for the conversion). But wow is it loud. And the dark smoke faceshield takes on a nasty whitish glow when riding into the sun. Oh well. Still waiting for a helmet that does the following: ventilate well in the hot, humid SE US summers, has a top quality faceshield and works well with eyeglasses.

Dag nab it! Either mfgs never think this stuff through OR building a better helmet is a lot harder than it looks. I'm starting to suspect the latter....
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote