Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-16-2004, 07:07 AM   #21
EdgyDrifter
Founding Member

Default Re: M2R MR-1000 Helmet

I also wear the Concept helmet and am very pleased with it. Good ventilation, a full neck dam and a well-padded chinstrap are but a few of this helmet's many great features. The real gravy, IMO, is the Concept's super-trick internal sun visor--perfect for cruising through the woods where one passes through patches of deep shadow and bright light too frequently to make regular sunglasses practical.

And it has a little first aid/rider ID card that fits into a teeny case on the side of the helmet. Just the thing I'll need in the event that all the helmet-haters are right and an otherwise "minor" wreck should result in my decapitation by chinstrap, launching my dome deep into the woods to be found five years hence by loggers. Those Germans have thought of everything!
EdgyDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2004, 07:15 AM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I like the flip down visor too however I would like the option to purchase a fully tinted shield to use when I'm riding in the desert. Sadly, the Euro safety-Nazis don't allow such dangerous devices.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 07:27 AM   #23
EdgyDrifter
Founding Member

In part at least, the legal eagles at Schuberth are probably worried about the liability they would incur if somebody bit it whilst riding with both a tinted shield on and the sun visor deployed. A person could weld with such an arrangement. Otherwise it would be a snap to offer the tinted shield to the US market.
EdgyDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 07:35 AM   #24
rock06r
Founding Member

Default Shoei Shmoei

Don't believe for one second that the Shoei helmets offer any more protection than the $100 variety. You're paying for a fancy paint job, a few grams of less weight, and all kinds of fancy ventilation and removable liners. When it comes to protection, helmets are designed to the Federal guidelines - not to break at 18 mph when struck by a blunt object and not to be penetrated when struck at 18 mph by a sharp object. If you care to call Shoei, that's *exactly* the line they will give you if you ask them for what kind of impact these helmets can take. I don't know about you, but I only go that speed in parking lots - pretty much all public roads I travel are 30mph and above.
rock06r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 07:39 AM   #25
Tigercub
Founding Member

Triumph Speed 4. Don't feel bad everyone forgets this one. Don't know why at $6500 with top drawer suspension and brakes?
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 07:43 AM   #26
Tigercub
Founding Member

I have a $250 head.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:07 AM   #27
F451
Founding Member

Default Re: Bravo EBass FULL FACE IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

I agree, I ride only with a full face helmets, even when I ride my cruisers. Although my friends who wear the Tupperware brain buckets are still trying to convert me to their style. I would never consider a flip face helmet either. Hey, when you're going down, your head will hit and I want mine as protected as possible. The laws of physics are pretty concrete (literally).
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:51 AM   #28
pushrod
Founding Member

IIRC, Motorcycle Consumer News did a helmet comparo/test a couple years ago. They did fit/finish, ease of use, comfort and they actually measured the sound level in the hat. I can't remember if they used a windtunnel, or just stuck the hat out a car window.

I think that article is what steered me to the Signet GT (ARAI).

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:54 AM   #29
pushrod
Founding Member

Default EBoz's melon in a new bucket

From 2wf.com:

Eric Bostrom to race with Shoei

Eric Bostrom is putting his trust, and noggin, in Shoei helmets this racing season, having just signed a multi-year deal with the popular helmet company.

"IÂ’m very excited about my new partnership with Shoei, and I'm looking forward to strapping on their helmets the next time I ride my Ducati. Their helmets are so good that I know I'll be comfortable and safe while I'm out there, so thatÂ’s one less thing to worry about. It'll allow me to focus on putting that Ducati on top."

Fans of Eric Bostrom who have enjoyed his unique and special RedBull helmet will certainly enjoy the new-for-2004 RedBull design to go along with his new brand of helmet.

"Airtrix designed my latest RedBull helmet, and I think this 4th year design is the best one yet. I think fans will really like it."

Bret Milan, Shoei's Racing Coordinator, echoed Eric's enthusiasm.

"Shoei is very excited to be involved with a rider of Eric Bostrom's caliber. Shoei has been winning championships in all forms of motorcycle racing for more than 40 years now, and we are confident that Eric will be a frontrunner for the AMA Superbike championship this year. Eric will be a great representative for Shoei helmets. Not only is he an incredibly talented rider, but his popularity with the fans is evidence of his natural charisma and friendly personality. We are thrilled to have him aboard. Eric will be wearing the same X-Eleven helmet that you can buy at your local Shoei dealership."

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:23 AM   #30
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Shoei Shmoei

The expensive helmets, in my experience, are FAR more comfortable than the cheap ones. It may be a sentiment they have exploited but frankly I just have an "Arai head".
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote