Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-16-2004, 05:46 AM   #11
travisyoung
Founding Member

Default Re: M2R MR-1000 Helmet

fyi: the Nolan (N100) actually works if you ever need it

my head took a smack on the asphalt and it didn't affect me none.

The flip front still works too.

travisyoung is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2004, 06:04 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I've got the Schuberth Concept which is one of the best helmets I've ever owned. The Schuberth needed just one hand to flip up the chin bar where the Nolan needed two. They may have changed that.

I just bought the new Nolan N40 Classic 3/4 for riding the geezer glide. I really like it. It has a visor and a retractable faceshield.

I think I've got 8 helmets now so I'm working on opening my own store!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 06:12 AM   #13
pushrod
Founding Member

Man, that sucker has a chinbar! It makes Ebass look like Dark Helmet (Movie: Spaceballs).

Fit is the second-most important feature of a hat. For me, I have a list of choices that contains one item. ARAI. Between the quality of construction, and my odd-shaped melon, I am happy with it.

And, as the boss at ARAI told me on the phone after I sent him my last hat (post-crash), "You certainly got your money's worth out of this helmet!"

He wasn't even close. Seeing my wife and kids after suffering a head-on collision is priceless.

IMHO, Price is not the entering argument here. As the old Bell ads said, "If you've got a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet."

GLOAT: I'm leaving this afternoon fo the Toy Truck IMS in Atlanta! BwaaHaHaHa!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 06:29 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but Motorcyclist did an extensive test of helmets back in the 80's. They used a machine designed to test helmet performance in a collision. They found out an interesting fact. The level of protection afforded by a helmet was not proportional to its price. Some cheaper helmets protected the skull better than some of the most expensive ones.

They also discovered that helmets designed for racing speeds (Snell) sometimes were less effective at speeds below 100mph than the DOT helmets designed for lower speeds. This had to do with the stiffness of the liner. A racing certified helmet may be a poorer choice than a plain DOT one if you don't ride at extreme speed normally.

And having one that fits properly is probably more important than who made the thing.

I'd like to see someone do this sort of independent testing again. It's been 20 years, after all. Which helmets actually perform the best? And which manufacturers are blowing smoke?

Old 01-16-2004, 06:30 AM   #15
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Is it designed for Charlie Brown or Linus?

You look more like Charlie Brown ebass, but it seems your chin is awfully close to the chin bar. How much time did you spend in it? Any pressure points? Is it all day comfortable or would you scream "mercy" after three hours?
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 06:42 AM   #16
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Bravo EBass FULL FACE IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

Thank you for coming to your senses and realizing that a full-face is your best bet. Unfornuately there are many cruiser/poser riders who are too vain to wear a full-face. Longride comes to mind. For those of you who doubt the value of full-face helmets, I beg you to read "David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling " He sites a German study where they looked at head injuries, specifically the location of impact. Over 45% involved the face, chin, etc.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 06:43 AM   #17
KPaulCook
Banned

I agree. My rf-900 is great.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 06:44 AM   #18
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

travis, the "flip front" of your Nolan may still work, but chances are pretty slim that your helmet will if you "smack" your head on the asphalt again. The crush liner of your helmet has served it's purpose, and is now probably worthless. You'd be smart to replace your beloved Nolan ASAP. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 06:50 AM   #19
arnoha
Founding Member

I've read the Snell M2000 spec. Unlike SA2000 (the auto spec), it isn't race related. The anvils they test the helmet on are for things like the ground and curbs. (SA2000 gets things like roll bars. It also has to survive multiple hits and fires, which M2000 doesn't).

FIA specs, thats a race thing...is there one for motorcycle helmets?
arnoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 07:38 AM   #20
Mooner
Founding Member

I haven't seen this test, but I suspect that if you hit ANYTHING with your head at 100+mph, you are S.O.L., with or without a helmet. Taking this into account, I would think that a helmet would have to be more protective on the road, where the chances of one's melon colliding with stationary and mega mass objects (cars & SUV's) is more likely.
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote