Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Classic Tourers Comparo (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2268-classic-tourers-comparo.html)

Buzglyd 12-23-2003 06:38 AM

Re: What a crock.

Did you notice the lovely Silver and Black managed to squeeze in a few photos.

She was purtier than all of 'em!

TatdNPrcd 12-23-2003 07:00 AM

Not that you're prejudiced or anything. Certainly not! I felt the Luxury Rich red pearl RK was the best looking of the bunch.

pushrod 12-23-2003 07:08 AM

Cost of ownership

An excellent job, guys.

No one described the ownership of these bikes. I submit the RK is #1 in this regard because of the plethora of pieces/parts available just about everywhere, and (with the exception of the ignition system) anyone with a little mechanical aptitude can work on them. And, the lack of service requirements.

Also, when and if you can bear to sell the bike, the RK is going to hold its value the best.

At least until the market for Harleys takes a header, which is due two or three years ago.

You may want to add the pillion opinion the next time you test this class.

Happy Holidays!

johnnyb 12-23-2003 07:44 AM

dang

if I'd known we were wearing chaps I'd've gone along. Nice work lads. The Road King is the best bike H-D makes IMHO, so good for the Yamahammer. I feel you're a little hard on the BMW, tho Ward. Weird handlebar angle? You got the cruise control--not found on any of the others, and invaluable for people who actually go places on their motorcycles (unlike you Sparks-swilling atrociteurs). You also won't be getting a heated seat option on any of the other bikes, and that is an Excellent thing when it's cold. Far as styling goes, well that's subjective. To me the Beemer looks less weird than any o these Elvis wannabes. When will Crashley review the CBR150 dammit?

MRALLCAPS 12-23-2003 07:57 AM

DUDE, YOU'RE TOTALLY RIGHT

I DON'T KNOW WHAT A "ROAD KING" IZ, BUT MAYBE IT'S SOMETHING LIKE A GSXR1000. I DON'T KNOW WHY ANYBODY WOULD GET ANYTHING ELSE. THAT'Z THE BIKE MY COUSINZ ALL HAVE, THEY WHEELIE REALLY EASY, AND YOUR MOM CAN COSIGN A LOAN TO GET YOU ONE.

I THINK SOMEBODY WOULD BUY A DIFFERENT BIKE BECAUSE THEY ARE MAYBE A GIRL OR DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE GSXR, OR MAYBE THEY CAN'T TALK THEIR MOM INTO COSIGNING THE LOAN FOR ONE.

ANYWAY, YOU SOUND PRETTY SMART, LIKE ONE OF THOSE OLD PEOPLE AT MY SCHOOL WHERE I USED TO GO WHO STOOD IN THE FRONT OF THE ROOM AND TOLD UZ STUFF.

ebass 12-23-2003 07:58 AM

Re: dang

So JB, have you been spreading the Sparks virus amongst your new workmates? Or is all that free Starbucks keeping you angry and bitter enough?

vcs700s 12-23-2003 07:59 AM

I get so tired of this pompus attitude! Harley's are nice bikes but they certainly aren't the only bike, the only real deal. Please!!

I ride with many brands of motorcycles, including HD's, but the Harley's are the only ones that have parts fall off, foul plugs, and have their clutch slip.

Some people who ride other makes of motorcycles probably don't want to hang out with people like you who have this kind of attitude. "Harley rules or if you don't ride a Harley you don't own a real motorcycle." That is a bunch of crap!!

If you want to pay way too much for a motorcycle then buy a Harley. If you want a better bike for way less money buy the Yamaha Road Star. No, I don't own one, yet, but I have money to buy whatever I want and it will probably be the Road Star. I don't want to pay the extra money to be part of a crowd or lifestyle. I would rather be an individual who doesn't care what people with your kind of attitude think and have a better bike and know that it cost me about $6K less.

Calling it as I see it!

KPaulCook 12-23-2003 08:05 AM

Even though I don't like touring cruisers....Great job MO

The review was excellent. Great comparisons by the participants. Is $4000 more for the Harley caused by demand? higher costs to manufacture? Although Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Victory have done a great job, I would probably pay the $4000 more for the Harley name (resale value and snob appeal). <a href="http://www.motorcycledaily.com/05august03_2004victory_kingpin.htm"> I do think for a Poser cruiser i.e. non tourers Victory's Vegas and Kingpin will take sales from Harley <a>

johnnyb 12-23-2003 08:10 AM

Re: dang

amazingly, daytime ****tails are frowned upon in mainstream workplaces. The bitterness is naturally occurring.

tumbler 12-23-2003 08:12 AM

I wonder if KPaul sensed a disturbance in the force as you type that little gem? E-glide, do you spend your time on your riding bike thinking about how cool other people must think you are? Not that I particularly have a problem with that. If dropping mid to high teens on a bike to buy to buy cool or an image is your thing, I honestly don't have a problem with it. Those fireman and cops who can't afford that and just want to ride would probably appreciate not having to take crap over the ride that they could afford.

I personally enjoyed a ride along the beach to Galveston this summer with a couple of hard-working saved their money Harley riders. We also had two Vulcans and my Yamaha crotch rocket. We, on the "Jap" bikes took no crap from the Harley riders, and were waved to by all other Harley riders we encountered. I didn't even have to take any Shyt for my crotch rocket. And the daughter of the guy with the most expensive Harley chose to ride on the the back of my bike. She said it was more comfortable than her dad's, even though it had a sissy bar.

My long-winded point: Ride what you like, for whatever reason like. Let people enjoy their choice even if it is a mid eighties barely running Gpz.