Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-26-2003, 02:21 PM   #181
Chango
Founding Member

Default Re: Classic Tourers Comparo

Actually, in England I understand that the Suzuki Bandit 600 keeps its value better than a Harley. Granted, Harley's might not keep their value as well over there as they do here, but in England, at least, the bike to resell after 5 years is a Suzuki Bandit 600.

"Remember, it's easier to do things the hard way." Chango

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2003, 02:41 PM   #182
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Mr. AllCaps

Is unwell, as someone accidentally dropped a Taco de Sesos into his tank and he now has mad cow disease. However, Mr. Allcaps doesn't think much past what he'll be having for lunch, so resale value would have a very low priority indeed for him.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 05:18 PM   #183
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: 6 inches of snow today so far.

Up here we say if you can avoid driving on the first day of snow you're OK, after that the assholes are at home or in the ditch

I rode my Triumph home in about 4 inches of snow/slush a couple of weeks ago, no fun but I made it home rubber side down.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 06:53 PM   #184
gatling
Founding Member

Really interesting comparo and even more interesting responses to it. I'd say you guys did a great job in this test.

I've had a 92 Softail since new, and it is worth just about what I paid for it in 1992. Lots of miles; never let me down. I love that bike.

A friend of mine has the Road Star, which is also a very nice machine. But, overall, I think I have done pretty well with my old Harley. If I had it to do all over again, though, I might go for the Yamaha, if for no other reason than the lack of dealer gouging.

Joe Berk

www.joeberkphotography.com
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 12:07 PM   #185
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

What is chrome plastic on a Road Star that isn't on a Harley?
Old 12-27-2003, 12:24 PM   #186
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: What a crock.

A typically ignorant statement from you. Why do you always bag on the Japanese but not the other American companies like Victory for doing the same thing? If anyone is a blatant copy of Harley it is Victory. They even attempted to copy Harley's made in the USA market position. At least Yamaha hasn't been that bad. I swear, you are Harley's version of KPaul. Both of you exhibit blind hatred of brands that don't conform to your ideas of what a motorcycle should be. You two should swap bikes for a year to broaden your tastes.

By the way, your scenario is only relevant if you really give a ***** what other people think about your motorcycle purchase. The sheep who do care go out and buy Harleys because all their other friends have one and their concern about their small penises make them afraid to think on their own and make their own decisions because their friends will look down on them.

I hope you don't feel better because you put down people different than you. If you do that's just pathetic. Go take a Midol, put on your arm chaps, and only ride your Harley with other Harleys. I'll go ride with owners of other brands because I'm not shallow enough to think I'm better than others based on something as trivial as what brand of motorcycle they ride.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:27 PM   #187
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: You hated the V-Rod?!

The V-Rod engine would be great in a sportbike. In a cruiser it's a pile of sh!t. I would much rather own a V-Max- it has much more low end, is more comfortable, and handles better too. And it's the real deal, not an imitation V-Max like the V-Rod.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:27 PM   #188
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: I guess I have to prove you wrong again

JESUS CHRIST WILL YOU GUYS JUST SHUT THE F*** UP!!!!

We all ride bikes, and we love them. Let it be.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:10 PM   #189
ats1911
Founding Member

Default Back-seaters

What's so often missing from these comparos are impressions from pillions. I looked at several of these before finally settling on the Victory, and a big part of that decision was made based on inputs from my wife:

-Road King: not bad except excessive heat on right foot

-Nomad: no complaint, but the used bike we test rode seemed to have been road hard and put away wet--I was quite concerned about longevity

-Yamaha: all models, except the Venture (which I find hideous, myself) have both pipes exiting on the right giving a very high foot position and they have pegs instead of boards--you could add boards, but you'd still have the high position that's very difficult to fix

-BMW: uh, that's just wrong....

-Victory: tons of power, sound, room, though we "had" to swap for a Mustang seat to keep the SO's buns happy. My only complaint is mildly glitchy fuel injection (getting better with more miles) and poor mileage (I was getting about 30MPG from mostly short commuting mileage, but with our "oxygenated" gas during winter that's dropped to about 26MPG).

Great article, though.
ats1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 06:17 AM   #190
xseal
Registered Member

This was a great review. Although I understand giving the nod to the Yamaha based on "value," the truth is for many of us that ride these bikes, price is just not that big a deal. I have a 96 Road King that I spent about 5 years "getting right." A Power Cdr and Stage I kit to the engine for torque, Corbin seat, Progressive fork springs, braided brake lines, bars from a Softtail Classic (same bend as the RK police bike, but chrome), and lots more. I don't know how much I have in the bike, but I have no plans to sell it. In fact, when I get too old to hold it up, I'll get the side car.

While I do some amateur road racing (Kaw. 600), nothing relaxes me like a few days on the Road King. I like the fact that its handling is such that I'm pushing it on nice country roads when I'm just a little over the speed limit. While a Gold Wing or Beemer is better for getting from A to B, nothing is better for a lazy ride down the Blue Ridge, or whatever. These bikes get you back to the essance of touring and motorcycling -- no radio, just a couple bags and a duffle bungeed to the luggage rack, and time to think. The Harley will win for lots of people like me b/c the ability to modify the bike to fit you perfectly, combined with the fact that its a moving excuse to strike up a conversation with strangers, makes it the ultimate back road tourer.

xseal is offline   Reply With Quote