Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-24-2003, 04:33 PM   #151
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: didn't want to get into this but...

What planet are you referring to? In Salt Lake Sportsters go for MSRP. So most the big twins except the Heritage Special or Fatboy or other specialized model.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-24-2003, 04:39 PM   #152
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: What?

Hey Buz. I'd never heard of moveon.org. So I went there and browsed a bit. Wow, man. At first I thought it was a joke site, like the Onion. Then I realized that these guys are serious! Those people are loonier than Art Bell's crowd of UFO freaks. They make the G. Gordon Liddy crowd and their Vince Foster conspiracy seem rational.

Have a Merry Xmas.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:30 PM   #153
Winger4Life
Founding Member

Default Re: didn't want to get into this but...

Try the dealers around here in Philadelphia, PA.
Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 06:43 PM   #154
Winger4Life
Founding Member

Default Re: Winger, it's not 1980.

LOL. I knew you would post some gibberish sooner or later. 4 recalls!??!?!? Since i have a 1800 wing...there have been two recalls. My bike was only affected by one. Who cares about resell value. I ride my bike, if you are looking for an investment, you can get a much better return on a CD or Money Market Fund. If you can find some sap to pay you the same as new for your bike more power to you.

Have fun riding your Harley, and I will have fun riding my Wing.

Old 12-24-2003, 07:04 PM   #155
Winger4Life
Founding Member

Yeah, those "revolutionary" rubber motor mounted Sportsters. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Liquid Cooled motors...oh yeah Porsche had to make them as the Harley engineers were too stupid to do it. What angle are those twins? etc....

Well, at least they stopped using drum brakes... but they sure do still leak oil all over your driveway!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some people just aren't happy unless they can talk $hit about stuff they dont have a clue about.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:17 PM   #156
Winger4Life
Founding Member

actually Honda had fuel injection before Harley on the 1982 Honda CX500TURBO, if you care to look at the facts...
Old 12-24-2003, 08:23 PM   #157
Jexter
Founding Member

You have experienced a small, but signifigant -what I like to call- argumental disconnect (see KPaul's posts for many examples). You see, he didn't say that H-D was revolutionary, or that they had a technological "leg-up" on the Japanese.
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 05:27 AM   #158
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default I guess I have to prove you wrong again

Recalls since 2001 Same year I bought my "overpriced" "junk" Harley. Enjoy!

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 01V133000

Component: ENGINE:OTHER PARTS

Manufacturer: AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.

Recall #1

Year: 2001 Make: HONDA MOTORCYCLE Model: GL1800 Recall Date: 04/26/2001

Type of Report: Vehicle

Potential Number of Units Affected: 8107

Manufactured: 10/2000 - 03/2001

Defect Summary:

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MOTORCYCLES EQUIPPED WITH A NEWLY DESIGNED PULSE ROTOR. THE CRANKSHAFT PULSE ROTOR, A DEVICE USED FOR IGNITION TIMING, COULD FAIL AND CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL.

Consequence Summary:

THIS SUDDEN LOSS OF ENGINE POWER COULD LEAD TO A CRASH.

Corrective Summary:

DEALERS WILL INSTALL A REDESIGNED PULSE ROTOR. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN APRIL 19, 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 01V162000

Component: ENGINE:OTHER PARTS

Manufacturer: AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.

Recall # 2

Year: 2001 Make: HONDA MOTORCYCLE Model: GL1800 Recall Date: 05/22/2001

Type of Report: Vehicle

Potential Number of Units Affected: 6662

Manufactured: 10/2000 - 02/2001

Defect Summary:

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MOTORCYCLES EQUIPPED WITH A NEWLY DESIGNED ENGINE STOP SWITCH. THE ENGINE STOP SWITCH IS SENSITIVE TO ACCIDENTAL CONTACT OR STRONG JOLTING, SUCH AS HITTING A POTHOLE OR RIDING OVER RAILROAD TRACKS,WHICH COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO CUT OUT MOMENTARILY OR EVEN SHUT OFF.

Consequence Summary:

SUDDEN LOSS OF ENGINE POWER COULD LEAD TO A CRASH.

Corrective Summary:

DEALERS WILL INSTALL A CONTACT PLATE, E-CLIP, AND 2 CONTACT PLATE SPRINGS. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN APRIL 19, 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-310-532-9811.

Recall #3

Honda GL 1800 Motorcycles

Date: 26/09/2003

Supplier: Honda Australia Motorcycle & Power Equipment Pty Ltd

Category: Motor Vehicles

Product Info: 2002-03 Models.

Defect details: The Main Frame stay may crack at the point where the Main stand attaches to the frame.

Consumer action: Contact your nearest authorised Honda Dealer for inspection.

Make: Honda

Model: GL 1800 (Goldwing)

Model Years From: 2003

Vin Range From: 1HFSC47U*3A200001 to 1HFSC47U*3A200040

Market Coverage: National

Recall Coverage: National

Recall #4

Overheating. That was a voluntary Honda recall and not mandated by the NHTSA.

Looks like 4 to me there "HeadInTheSand4Life".

You don't care about resale value?LOL You shouldn't. You ain't getting any. I can get returns on my investments AND my motorcycle. That's better than you can do, considering I also have more to invest because I paid less money. Not only can I find some sap to pay me the same as new, I can find hundreds that will give me 3 times what my Superglide sold for. Impressive is it not? I'm already having fun. I just don't need to lie about recalls, or not caring about my money loss. Like I said, I like the Wing. I was former owner. You just make yourself look bad by being uninformed.

Old 12-25-2003, 05:34 AM   #159
seruzawa
The Toad

Since Honda didn't invent EFI it's moot. Much of the tech was driven by the aerospace industry and not the auto industry at all. Much titanium technology was perfected during the development of the F-111. Carbon fiber also was not invented by Honda. Strong aluminum structures were also aircraft based and such engineers were consulted to build these frame structures that unedycated fools like you are deluded into believing were invented by the Japanese motorcycle companies.

Technology does not develop in a vacuum as any even slightly perceptive person would know.

Are you really going to open the door on the Porsche/HD collaboration? Does that make HD fools? If so then every Japanese motorcycle company on Earth is similarly foolish since technology is traded, licensed, collaborated and stolen constantly. For example the first production monoshock system was developed by an American and stolen by Suzuki. Let's not even think aboutthe shameless ripoff of Italian styling that just about everybody else engages in.

Actually the only motorcycle that ever blew up on me was a Honda. Serious catastrophic self-destruction of a Magna Transmission. A very common problem with the early VF engines. A result of incompetent engineering . And it is freaking Honda that still uses drum brakes on current models (Nighthawk). And, really, Honda's refusal to acknowledge the problems with the broken frames on the GLs would be criminal negligence if anyone had been hurt after the problem became apparent. No, what we had here was the ususal Honda arrogance that justified their refusal to acknowledge a serious problem. The same arrogance that enables them to pretend that the newer heavier and less powerful Interceptor is "improved" simply because it has variable valve actuation... also not a Japanese invention. The same arrogance that has them go home with their toys because MO won't toady up to them or delete posts that criticize Big Red.

Anyhoo, I never claimed HD was cutting edge. You simply have delusorily inserted opinions never expressed. Well, this is to be expected since your very first post was ad hominen and all too typical of too many Wing owners. When it comes to "my ride is better than your ride" childishness the HD cultists are given more than an even run for the money by similar cults of Wing owners, BMWphiles and the sportbike mafia.

So stay with your little cult of indentical bikers and have a nice day.
Old 12-25-2003, 05:42 AM   #160
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Resale, shmeesale

Those are great arguments, Gabe, but in one instance you say that you can't test resale, only function, then the next sentence you say the resale isn't too bad if you buy used. Do you test used bikes? Certainly there are many factors to buying a bike, and people would like to know that if they pay a premium up front they will get it back. With a Harley that happens. That certainly doesn't happen with Japanese machinery. At least none I ever bought, sold, or rode. Yes, riding cheaply is possible IF you buy used and IF it doesn't break. There is nothing wrong with stating what is actually happening in the real world in a test like you did in this one. Mostly, it's the "I have a superior Japanese machine" that gets the whole argument started anyway. Just check the thread that Winger4Life started. Anyway, you did a fantastic job on this test. Keep up the good work!