Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-24-2003, 08:31 AM   #141
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: increasing your displacement

The XB12 lightening is ranked high on the official "sarnali list of 13 or so bikes I have to have."

I havn't rode one yet but it feels good sitting on it, and if it's good enough for JB by gar' it's good enough for me.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-24-2003, 08:55 AM   #142
Hipshot
Registered Member

Default Re: Classic Tourers Comparo

Yeah, well, I might'a ranked them about the same, but there's one factor no one seems to want to consider. Ride these puppies for, say, 5 years. Take care of 'em. Put the same miles on them, and consider the resale value. Ain't nothing new that rolls that keeps the old value like the HD.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 08:55 AM   #143
sarnali
Founding Member

A good comparo' would be the Vegas+ Duece+ Warrior + Rocket 111, I think they're all considered "power cruisers"

After seeing the Rocket 111 on person, it wasn't as bad as I thought, but I admit I'm not a cruiser fan so I couldn't say...... Truth is if I was in the market for a cruiser type I'd get a Harley and be done with it. Probably something like a Low Rider or Dyna Glide sport.

It should be interesting how the R-3 stacks up, it's certainly got the right numbers for torque and horsepower.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:01 AM   #144
sarnali
Founding Member

It's not who you know, it's who you...... Oh nevermind

( I hope bigjames never makes it up this far north!)
Old 12-24-2003, 09:07 AM   #145
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Well, I dunno

As the new sheriff of Rock Ridge you could get a Laurel, and Hardy handshake.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:09 AM   #146
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Just try gettin' a girl on the back

Them surplus ammo can saddle bags put the jewel in that crown
Old 12-24-2003, 09:19 AM   #147
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: You might notice

You use the pull-down menu next to the "Moderate" button. Then select a rating (they are phrases not numbers) a positive phrase raises the post's score by 1 and a negative phrase lowers the post's score by 1.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:35 PM   #148
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Resale, shmeesale

I actually did consider it: "If you're already going to shell out big bucks for a bike like this, an extra $4000 shouldn't be a big deal, especially when you factor in resale value. "

But honestly, there's a lot of talk about this and I don't think it should be such an important factor. That's why it was a tiebreaker for me when I was torn between two equally competent and nice motorcycles.

As moto-writers, people read what we write to find out how the motorcycles function: brakes, suspension, handling, motor, etc. Seeing resale value is as easy as going to www.kbb.com

And resale value for the Japanese bikes isn't too bad, especially if you buy them used in the first place. I can buy a used CBR600F4 for $4.5k now and probably resell it in 5 years for about a grand less if it stays uncrashed and in good running order. That's $200 a year to ride a pretty nice bike. If I had to have a Harley as my only bike for 5 years you couldn't pay me $200 to make such a sacrifice!

Everything has a cost; but I can see why Harleys are so high.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 03:51 PM   #149
Winger4Life
Founding Member

Default Re: didn't want to get into this but...

i paid 15k for my 2002 Wing this past April. I think you can walk with a sportster 1200 for that, not much more. I priced a Vrod with Hannums Harley in Chadds Ford PA...list 15,999, to walk with one once you are forced to get all the crap with it $18,500.

You are going to pay well over list for any harley. Here's a good one for you...

What do you have when you have a Electra Glide owner who spent $25k on a bike...someone who still does not have a bike equivlent to a 17k goldwing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 03:56 PM   #150
Winger4Life
Founding Member

Don't forget the VTX1800 in there. The Rocket III is an awesome machine...a great second bike to my top of the food chain Wing.
Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote