Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-19-2003, 07:16 AM   #81
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Ãœberbike

Actually, my question recently has been the opposite. Why does Honda bother competing with Suzuki and Yamaha (and even Kawasaki) after repeatedly getting their asses handed to them both in comparos and sales?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2003, 07:30 AM   #82
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Honda CBR 1000RR Track Test

Overall, a pretty lukewarm review... by the way, the someone who "said lighter is better obviously never attended the Honda School of Polar Roll Dynamics", but they also would have a better grasp of the laws of physics than Honda engineers, as weight plays a significant role in things like braking and acceleration. If they were building a bike to just go around racetrack corners all at exactly the same speed, then weight would make no difference. However, the real world is very different.

Old 12-19-2003, 07:47 AM   #83
nbyers
Registered Member

Dave, Dave, Dave.

Unlax, man. Rewind.

Even if you aren't into race-replicas, you gotta respect the engineering art of them.

There's more distilled engineering thought per cubic inch in a race-rep motorcycle that in just about any other object.

MO is worth the lousy $12 just for this forum!
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 07:51 AM   #84
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re:"Brit Git 600?"

Does insanity run in your family?

Are you referring to the "Brit Git 600" that won the IOM first time out, or the rest of Triumphs copy cat twins and triples?

While I'll grant you the Aprilia is impressive and unique, as is their rise from a scooter manufacturer to being compettitive in the street sport twin arena, I'd hardly call them exceptional, whats another Latinate V-twin?

At least Moto-Guzzi has the engine pointing the right way, Aprilia and Ducati are just trying to copy Harley.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 07:54 AM   #85
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Probably for homologization purposes...

a: Conventional steering dampers do make the bike a slug at slow speeds. THis doesn't.

b: THey want it for racing, and the way to get "adaptable steering damper" allowed on the racetrack was to include it on the street bike. Same as the MondoLarge radiator.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 07:55 AM   #86
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re:Kiss my butt

Now, would that be your whole butt, or you butt hole?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 09:07 AM   #87
cota
Registered Member

Default Re: Ãœberbike

Interesting, you paid $13,500 for your Mille and haven't ridden it? Last time I looked the motor, in the Mille, looked a lot like the Rotax V-twin.

As for unique, since all the crotch rockets have been homogenized by the need for aerodynamic performance it's hard to tell them apart unless your in the parking lot. Maybe it's the stickers (BNG) that make them unique.

Anyway, the wife tells me I need to develop my aesthetic values so maybe I'll go look over the Gas Gas line this weekend.
cota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 10:33 AM   #88
dave_arkle
Founding Member

Default ATTN: Secret Guy

Dear Mr. Secret Writer;

If you want to remain a secret, don't refer to obscure personal things in your articles. You are the only person on Earth who would have said one thing in there, and I know who you are.

...and I haven't talked to you in years...still got that bike? Gettin' to be a collector's item these days...
Old 12-19-2003, 10:53 AM   #89
dwr461
Founding Member

I don't dislike MO anymore than Motorcyclist and Cycle World. I just won't pay money to any of them anymore. Every year since I began reading them every new model year brings the best bike. It's a whole 100mg's lighter and will carry you around a race track a whole .25 seconds faster. Bullpoop! Most of the sportbike riders in my part of the country only go fast in a straight line. They'll never notice the difference. I pass them all the time when the road turns less than straight on my big, heavy, and slow BMW.

The journalists are very diplomatic in the results of a "shootout" or "comparison." eg. This particular bike won but any of these bikes could win depending of what you like. That's a copout I know this'll inspire a rebutal from someone important. But the advertisers cloud the reviews. They have to be diplomatic. A loud bark from the editorial staff will only prove my point. "I think she does protest too much." from Macbeth by William Shakespear.

In addition a test is not giving only your opinion. If science engaged in testing like that it would still be the dark ages. A test in order to be valid must be both reproducable and quantifiably measurable. A motorcyclist's opinion while occasionally interesting is neither. If Consumer Reports or Underwriters Lab only printed what the manufacturers told them and tested the products by only using them those companies would carry no weight with the purchaser. In a world where few motorcycle dealerships allow you to test ride or easily allow returns why do we as motorcyclist accept that form of "testing" these writers provide for us?

So my problem doesn't lie with sportbikes or any of the people who work for these magazines. It's not a matter of money on my part. But I will choose to spend my money on a magazine that like Consumer Reports doesn't take money from advertisers and performs actual tests in addition to their opinion. Motorcycle Consumer News is that piece of print media.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 11:19 AM   #90
dardas
Founding Member

Default Re: I was born and raised in Ireland and...

Maybe you should just thow out all stereotypes?
dardas is offline   Reply With Quote