Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R Track Test (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2260-2004-kawasaki-zx-10r-track-test.html)

brcookg 12-13-2003 03:59 PM

Re: 2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R Track Test

How 'bout its' progeny...the FJR1300? Works for me...

For sure, cramped bikes are great for the track, but not much fun in the real world, unless you're, say, 20 years old (or a lot smaller than I am).

Buzglyd 12-13-2003 05:05 PM

Re: HOW DOES IT DO WHILE ON THE BACK WHEEL?

And how do you wear the helmet halfway on your head when you don't have a head?

brickl 12-13-2003 06:59 PM

I completely disagree with your dislike of underseat exhausts. I like the 04 R1 and CBR designs from an aesthetic standpoint. I think the 04 R1 design looks better than the cans on my dearly departed 998. And there are certainly functional merits to the underseat design, as well. Like no more bashed cans if you drop the thing, better aerodynamics, and ridding your bike of 10 pounds of crap hanging off to one side.

Underseat exhaust is not some kind of fad or a shortlived trend that'll end soon. It makes sense functionally, and it looks cleaner. Better get used to it.

Mr_Bigglesworth 12-13-2003 07:16 PM

The transmission was failing to go from 3rd to 4th on upshifts when the clutch wasn't used at all. It would have been nice if they mentioned how that worked - a while ago racers were installing ingnition cutout switches that momentarily cut the engine power on upshifts, but the ZX might be doing it mechanically.

That said, it's not something street riders really need to worry about anyway.

Mr_Bigglesworth 12-13-2003 07:27 PM

We'll be selling this bike, the GSXR-1000 and the CBR 1000 at my shop. Of those three, which appeals to you guys most? And what about the R1?

sarnali 12-13-2003 08:31 PM

One of the guys I went with is bigger than me and rides the wheels off his new FZR1300, He seems to fit on it well enough. You're right though, race rep sport bikes are getting increasingly smaller and narrower focused.

It doesn't bother me much because the performance of bikes like the XB12 Lightning, Speed Triple, V11 Moto Guzzi and so on is fine with me, and comfortable too. I plan on adding something along those lines to my stable as a play bike and keep my Trophy as a day to day bike.

I appreciate the performance and technology involved with full-on sportbikes, If they flip your switch then get one, hell get two if you want. LOL

KPaulCook 12-13-2003 11:22 PM

MO's next story/shootout/comparo for longride, seruzawa, Buz and sarnali

Other titles"Bikes for Old Guys" or "I don't fit my bike anymore" or "Why does my back tire look flat?" or "My Bike hurts my back" or "You aren't get any older you're getting wider" or "Why doesn't my fairing does work anymore?" More to come for sarnali and the stooges.

KPaulCook 12-13-2003 11:24 PM

My favorite title

Does this bike make me look fat?

Pacer 12-14-2003 02:47 AM

You may make some good points, I am not against underseat exhaust, but most are down right ugly. The 916-998 were almost art like. These are all, uh, heat shields. If you want prue function how about KTM's new bike? They put it under the engine. A much simpler design in my eyes. I must admit that I have no clue if they need the headers to be a certian length or anything like that, but hide the can behind a fairing. I think a clean tail section is sweeeet.

Pacer 12-14-2003 02:51 AM

Re: My favorite title

You bring up a good point. Will these little bikes make big guys look goofy riding them?