Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-10-2003, 06:18 AM   #11
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: A Classic Victory Road Story

Will the upcoming comparo include stout and hearty men?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2003, 06:33 AM   #12
navion_pa1
Founding Member

Try looking into the allstate motor club. They cover bikes, and will tow to the nearst authorized dealer.

I got them after losing the fuel pump on a BMW in Bryce Canyon and discovered my tow ins. only covered me for a $100.

I ended up getting the BMW towed to Salt Lake City, $500, gotta love credit cards. so after this little piece of travel, I looked into other tow ins, and think All State offer's the best.

Fuel pump's reason I got rid of the BMW and pick up a Connie.
navion_pa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 06:41 AM   #13
bmwclay
Founding Member

That's why one should forget wire rims (the damn things have a tube) and stay with the tubeless mags. One plug kit and a couple of co/2 bottles and you're on the road. Better yet. strip down a small air compressor from Wal-Mart( 10 bucks and it can fit under the seat) add a electrical plug to your battery and forget the co/2!
bmwclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 06:51 AM   #14
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default connievfrsv650

Now ya started it!
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:00 AM   #15
nokneedragin
Founding Member

I tend to agree with you. Another item that has this mysterious effect is jumper cables.

Anyone know of a set small enough for a bike. Usually had to bump start, or fit the FAT auto style cable onto the teenie weenie bike battery terminals. The one trick I tried (and it did not work) was a cheepo cigarette lighter jumper (it was suposed to go lighter to lighter for cars). I cut off one plug and put some small clips on the wires. The one time I tried them, The lighter fuse in the car blew.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:38 AM   #16
ValknMag
Founding Member

The only question is, could they find someone, even a company not affiliated with them, to tow a bike? AAA couldn't, but then the brain donor I spoke with was only looking in the rural county I was towing FROM, not the somewhat more populous county I was towing TO. I ended up calling places myself who would only haul wrecked bikes, because they didn't want to scratch anything.

On a semi-related note, how rare is it for a dealership to not have a truck/trailer for bikes, or at least a short list of companies willing to haul one? I called all 3 local dealerships, made it clear that if they towed it they got the business, and none could help me out. Why don't dealerships get an S-10 and a low trailer? You could basically have high school kids on spring break do the hauling. Or even rent the thing out to riders in need.
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:20 AM   #17
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Thanks for throwing us a bone, MO.

LOL, you've obviously been sitting on this story because it hasn't been t-shirt riding weather for quite a while.
That, plus the author's narrative: "Waiting in the blazing sun for an hour and a half..."
Thanks for throwing us a bone, MO.</p>
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:33 AM   #18
Yamahanian
Founding Member

Default Re: Forget Them and the Highwayman!

What we want are pictures of big-hearted ladies with bedroom eyes and heartbreak curves tastefully (of course!) adorning the cruisers.
Yamahanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:21 AM   #19
julian
Founding Member

Stop & Go Tire plugger works great (no affiliation yada,yada) but ya gotta have a tubeless for any kinda roadside fix.....he had a spoked wheel.

This is the reason I switched over to only mags years ago.
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:21 AM   #20
speedybird
Founding Member

Amen to the Stop and Go, but even a $6 crude poker kit from any auto shop would do to get you to civilization. Add a CO2/pump combo and off you go after a few minutes...guess you guys don't think about these things? I don't either when I'm just around town...
speedybird is offline   Reply With Quote