Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-05-2001, 08:56 AM   #21
ltrider
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW vs. Honda Reader Feedback

I understand that the bike had stability problems and the owner has crashed the bike.

It seems that BMW will be coming out with a revised version of the K12RS, which should be introduced in Europe this spring. This bike is purported to have an adjustable windshield and greater riding comfort. It seems that it probably is easier to upgrade the RS rather than to take away content from the the LT.
ltrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2001, 10:49 AM   #22
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: Actually HD beat blah blah

Nope. You're wrong. That's Florida that can't count.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 08:02 AM   #23
lexs
Founding Member

Default Re: HUH?! BMW vs. Honda Reader Feedback

I've had three "oil heads"(and several "air heads" and two K bikes and a slew of Hondas and Yamahas), including an R1100GS. I've never had a transmission problem and have head of very few since the early problems. I do agree about the surging, BMW has screwed up big time on that. It is not that it is a major problem, it is that BMW should have fixed it quickly and they have taken much to long. As long as we are comparing Hondas and BMWs have you ridden a VFR800? They don't surge, exactly, but it is very hard to ride them smoothly at low speeds. I have read the other new, injected Honda have similar problems.

OTOH, you clearly know nothing about the PD bikes, they share about as many parts with the street bike and a NASCAR racer does with the street version. They are dirt bikes with a (reduced displacement to meet the rules) R1100 motor stuck in them, not modified street bikes.

The telelever bikes work better then most bikes with the stock (low grade) shock. If the front end of the GS is so bad why is the bike rated by just about every magazine as one of the best handling bikes in the world? For the $900 you spent you upgraded to a front end equal to a $3000+ set of Ohlins. BTW, you could have gotten 99% as good a front end by buying a $500 Fox shock.

You also have clearly never ridden any distance on an LT, saying the electric windshield is no different than remote lock proves that. You sound like the people who don't need electric clothing, they have never user it either.

I would never say BMWs are perfect, far from it. But it sounds to me like you bought the wrong bike for your tastes and needs and you are blaming BMW for your mistake. FWIW, I made the same mistake. I loved my R100GS and bought the R1100GS because I thought it was just an improved version of the R100. The R1100GS is, IMO, a bike for posers. It is useless in the dirt (I got my R100GS into and out of amazing places) and is in just about every measurable way inferior to the R1100R. It is JMHO but now that a Roadster that isn't butt ugly has come out I think R1100/ 1150GS sales will plummet. The Roadster was always a better bike but the thing was so ugly no one would buy them.

lexs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 08:08 AM   #24
lexs
Founding Member

Default Re: Not always

Given the incredible advances Suzuki has brought to bikes in the last few years I guess it is fitting that they are embracing the on-line world while Honda is living in the past.

BTW, I don't own a Honda or a Suzuki at this time.
lexs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 11:04 AM   #25
Wingboy
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda Optional vs. BWM Standard

Okaaayyy ... so what "new and improved" models in the past have you seen where the price actually dropped or stayed the same? 2K is not much of an increase considering the R&D and the risk Honda is taking in upgrading the machine.

If features is your concern wait and buy a used one after someone has decked it out. It's always less expensive that way, but having ridden both I have to say the 1800 is a heck of a performing machine. The LT is nice, but too tall and '' feeling to me, not to mention the routine mainentance is more expensive and happens a lot more often than on the Wing. Fun bike, but not my style at that price ...

Johnb
Old 01-08-2001, 11:09 AM   #26
Wingboy
Founding Member

Default Re: A Weighty Subject

Yeah, the "X-Wing" looked great. A slimmer more stylish and higher-output ST-1100 / Wing mix. I was going to buy one if they produced it, now I guess I'll get the 1800 ...

Johnb
Old 01-27-2001, 06:55 AM   #27
snakedoctor
Founding Member

what's he trying to say ????
snakedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2001, 03:23 PM   #28
reinerka
Founding Member

Having now driven the new GoldWing myself for some 3200 miles

since November '00 I must say it really is an awesome bike.

I have had the opportunity to ride some LT's before and must

say that the comparison is well to the point. One of the things

that got me into the Honda is that it's look from the driver

perspective is much better than the awkward BMW styling. Why

does it have to look like the handlebar is a mile in front of you?

The milage of the GoldWing is now settling to around 45mpg. For

the engine, definately not bad. Considering my driving even

better

For long distance riding I can only say that on the weekends we

normally do around 500-800 miles and never feel that the legroom

is insufficient. The seating position is very relaxing on long

trips. The point goes to Honda. The BMW is good, but not as

perfect.

Ride safe,

Reiner

reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 07:02 PM   #29
Truitt
Founding Member

Default Re: Gas mileage and windshield adjustment

Adjustable windshields are great. I rode a BMW r1100rt over a fun two-laner a few years ago on a day that went from rain to drizzle to sun. The on the fly adjustment allowed me to raise the windshield so my helmet visor stayed totally dry, that way I didn't have to stop to clean it. But of course it was buffeting and noisy all the way up so as soon as the rain stops the windshield gets lowered. You really can't imagine the difference it makes untill you ride with one.

Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 04:39 PM   #30
vagabond
Founding Member

Default Re: The throne may be removeable

There WAS a Euro version Wing that had a shorter Windshield, and "compact" trunk - saw a photo a few years ago. Think it was for the Autobahn - amybe a German version? Don't know what mag it was but it was Rider, Cycle World or the like.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote