Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-27-2003, 02:03 AM   #71
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Yamaha V-Max

BTW - Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2003, 02:49 AM   #72
Winger4Life
Founding Member

yeah but it does not make as much power
Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 02:49 AM   #73
anrajala
Founding Member

Amen to that. It should look 100% like it has always looked. Its a cult bike for gossake, if you want more harleyesque look you have plenty of choice already. However, invisible handling improvements should definitely be made.

Otherwise, don't mess with an icon. 20 years and still beats the V-Rod on power and torque, and is lighter.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 03:15 AM   #74
Mike_Hammer
Founding Member

Why is the VMax compared with the VRod? The VRod is a twin; the VMax a four. Max sure should put out a lot more peak hp, and with "proper" engine tuning should make equal low end. Max is only making 111 peak bhp if I'm reading the dyno chart right, that's all of 7 hp more than 600's are allowed to make in some class racing. The R1 makes what, 140 bhp? I'd like to see a 130 hp Max with kicker low end stomp!
Mike_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 04:04 AM   #75
anrajala
Founding Member

You are right, the V-Max engine was fitted to both Royal Star (which I previously owned) and Venture. The 1200cc was drilled to 1300cc, but power was unexplicably detuned down by some 50%.

Royal Star, regardless of the relative lack of power, was however a super excellent bike thoroughout. It was so sweet. Plus, imagine how bomb-proof the drive train must be in this detuned version. Well, they had 5 year warranty.

If someone wants to buy a cruiser for hard daily riding for next 40 years, smart money goes for a used Royal.

- cruiz-euro
Old 11-27-2003, 04:33 AM   #76
anrajala
Founding Member

For all those who claim the time has come to modernize Mad Max:

It beats V-Rod by half a sec.

So which one needs to get a re-tweak?

- cruiz-euro
Old 11-27-2003, 05:32 AM   #77
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Re: What if the old car was faster?

If you look at any of the original road tests in any of the reputable magazines you will find that both the new Vette Z06 is faster then the 67 Vette and the new FZ1 is faster then the V-Max in any contest of speed period. To say otherwise means you are either very misinformed, or ignorant of the facts.

If you know of any magazine article or officially documented race documentation that shows otherwise please let me know as I would be very interested in seeing it.

gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 05:46 PM   #78
Winger4Life
Founding Member

And the new Triumph Rocket III will absolutely smoke either of those two bikes...so they both need to be reworked
Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 05:40 PM   #79
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Ya, Ok, most fun bike ever (even know some motorcyclists that have a special place in their heart for 'em)... BUTT FUGLY!
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 07:19 AM   #80
Dryfly
Registered Member

I love the idea of a Max! I just don't want to buy a 20 (?) year old motorcycle. Bring on the MT-01 in it's place and I'm a buyer. Yamaha for doing so many things good over the last few years, has really dropped the ball on this one. Seems a little like their thought process with the FJR.....Oh, the Americans would never buy enough of those! Hey Yamaha, sometimes you are "not" right about what the consumer wants. I still love your bikes though. I just hate dealing with your lack of accessory availability.

Ducati "Foggy" Monster Man
Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote