Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-25-2003, 04:28 PM   #31
bmwclay
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Yamaha V-Max

As a 1150 GS rider that wants more power but loves the twisties, would I like the V-Max? Or does it really, really suck in the curves, to the point of being dangerous?
bmwclay is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2003, 05:10 PM   #32
RonXX
Founding Member

$11K, who the hell is going to pay that for this bike? You can get an FZ1 for a lot less than that, and it will outperform the V-Max in every category. This bike is no longer even close to the feet forward, super low seat power cruisers of today. It can't compete with the standards put out by any major manufacturer. Why would Yamaha update this bike when they could just drop it from their lineup?

Yes, I admit the V-Max would be awesome if it was totally updated with modern technology while keeping its "Mad Max" looks, but at what point will Yamaha have too many models covering too many categories? If they spend $1M on engineering an updated V-Max, then they surely won't make back their money for...15 years give or take. They have been making pure profit on this model for a long time, so they aren't going to stop that any time soon.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 05:20 PM   #33
westcork
Founding Member

It's already a standard.

At the time it was introduced, the division between cruisers and sportbikes was just starting. Before that time (2-3 yrs), virtually all bikes were standards, except for the H-Ds.

20 years later, VMax has a very loyal following. But VMax lovers are going fall into 2 grops: those who want a more cruiser oriented VMax, and those who want a sportier VMax. What should Yamaha do? Either way they go, they are going to ***** off half of us.

westcork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 05:27 PM   #34
westcork
Founding Member

There is nothing quite like that v-boost. It may not produce as much power as some of the more modern bikes. But that power curve will wake you up when you get over 6000.

Yamaha can change what they like. Just leave the V-Boost and I'll be happy.
westcork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 05:45 PM   #35
minimalfear
Founding Member

Who said kill it and put the motor in a Venture? That would truly be ashes to ashes dust to dust as the friggin motor came to us out of an 1983 Venture - which in its time waxed all Touring bikes - hands down!

What ever they do they absolutely HAVE TO keep that V-8 rumble sound. Nothing has ever tickled MY fancy the same way as my 1500CC (PCW Racing) V-max wearing the 2.5" Hindle YEAH BABY!

Bore it out - solve the high speed weave / wobble / you wanna die out here punk syndrome idiginous to The Beast, and my ZZR12 will be kicked to the curb and the third V-max garaged!

minimalfear@comcast.net
minimalfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 07:06 PM   #36
schizuki
Founding Member

Let's see:

(20 year old design with no changes in that time) + (engine lifted from touring bike) + (simple steel chassis and parts-bin components) = almost $11,000.

Cripes, no wonder Yamaha won't change it. What a cash cow.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 07:39 PM   #37
sarnali
Founding Member

I owned an '84 V65 Sabre for a couple of years when my kids were babies, and I rode an '89 V-Max a co-worker bought. The V-Max had the edge on straight-line performance, but the Sabre out handled it anywhere else.

Still around and still a cool bike, I think Mr. Max was the closest Japan ever came to a true cruiser. Now all they seem able to do is knock off gutless Harley look alikes.

To me a true cruiser or H.D. chopper is all about performance, Whats the first thing most HD owners do but start trying to increase horse power?.

The Japanese watched Harley's sell like hot-cakes, even if they were down on power so what do thay do but build weak ass V-Twins to copy them. It's amazing to me that smart as the Japanese are they completley missed the boat on this.

Of course they sell their share of cruisers but whats the biggest complaint they get? no power. Yamaha and Honda had the right idea back in the eighties, and it looks like Yamaha has kept the faith. to wit; Cruiser's are supposed to be drag bikes with lights. choppers are supposed to be fast as poop through a goose in a straight line.

Well see what happens when you drink a bunch of beer and log on? RANT OVER
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 08:12 PM   #38
Viffer-dude
Founding Member

I find it interesting that everyone is trying to categorize this thing. Guys, admit the fact that it's in a class of one. Neither cruiser nor standard. It's a timeless, and dare I say "classic" (afterall, it's 20 years old) HOT ROD!!
Viffer-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 11:19 PM   #39
Pacer
Founding Member

My guess is that they are going to give it a full 20 year run. I think 2005 is the year.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 03:28 AM   #40
paul_from_Minnesota
Founding Member

Ok, Ok, so I am biased. As the proud owner of a 2002 Max I can hardly be fair. The Vmax is a class unto itself. If you have never ridden one, beg for a chance from someone you know. I have ridden faster bikes that didn't feeeel as fast if you know what I mean. The growl under your butt is very addictive. Vboost? It will bite you and not let you go. For the everyday riding I do it preforms plenty fine. It CAN handle and go fast. But...

What an easy thing it would be for Yamaha to come out, in 2005, with a new king. Same type bodayyyyshus (I know it is mispelled, artistic usage) styling with 200 crank horsies. That could put the other boys in their place like the original Max. With built in legensd status, you wouldn't even need to advertise much.

In the last couple of years the Yammy guys met somewhat secretly with the Vmax guys for some real world feedback. There is hope you know!

The attention that I get for this bike is like no other. I don't seek it, but I do like it.

Paul from Minnesota, lovin my Max!