Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-01-2003, 02:33 PM   #91
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Yamaha V-Max

The reduction in power was for one reason -the Royal Star didn't have the airbox capacity of the V-Max. Without a lot of air, you can't make a lot of power. They could have put a huge airbox on the Royal Star, but it would have either forced them to have a gigantic fuel tank area with a decent fuel capacity, or a small fuel capacity like on the V-Max, which wouldn't fit with the concept of the Royal Star.

Besides, anyone who says the Royal Star lacked power hasn't ridden one. It has/had plenty of power, especially compared with most of the current crop of V-Twin classic-style cruisers.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2003, 08:27 PM   #92
jagalvin
Registered Member

Buy what? I already have a vmax. If either one won't take the max they should give it a good run.
jagalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 03:02 AM   #93
DaveFla
Founding Member

Default Re: What if the old car was faster?

Saw a show on Speed the other night about the Stingrays... paraphrasing, one of the collectors said that it was extremely rare to find a 427 that hadn't grenaded something, had major maintenance or repair done or was not unoriginal in some other way. Chevy was pushing them hard.</p>

Dollar for dollar, second for second, I'll take the Z06. I could always put a Borla system on it. Similarly, the Max needs an updated frame, suspension, fuel system, ECM, real fuel capacity... Hey YNA, Kawasaki doesn't make the Eliminator any more, you know.</p>

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 03:11 AM   #94
DaveFla
Founding Member

The Max I want was a magazine project bike, I think Motorcyclist... anyway the point was to get Pee-Wee Gleason into the 9's without splitting the cases, if I remember correctly. They put some RIGHTEOUS spoked wheels on in place of the stockers, a wheelie bar, exhaust & intake work- the finished product looked EVIL. I bet even guys on that new Triumph would think twice about revving up next to it at a stoplight...
DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 07:49 AM   #95
fitzspike
Founding Member

I agree. Yamaha could just stiffen the existing frame, Upgrade the brakes, fatten the rubber (rear for sure), larger fork tubes, more suspension travel (rear), and restyle. Leave the motor alone! Bigger fuel tank. I think Yamaha would sell two to three times more Vmaxes. The insurance on the other hand.....

Maybe that motor and shaft drive in a "standard" or Valk. style frame would beat some of the insurance costs.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:17 AM   #96
LocutusDeBorg
Founding Member

Default Day 34 of 2004 Yamaha V-Max Article...

OK enough....

Old bike, old article.

Is anyone working here?

LocutusDeBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 04:20 PM   #97
Winger4Life
Founding Member

LOL. A Stock V-Max is very fast, but the Rocket III is very,very,very,very fast. It would easily blow the Max away. Look at the power ratings of it. Now, if you totally modded the Max, sure it could be faster, but stock, no way.
Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 11:59 AM   #98
jagalvin
Registered Member

I'm on the same page, he said bye one and race a max. I took that as meaning bye a rocketIII and race a max. I've seen the specs, is should take a max.
jagalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 04:40 AM   #99
Dom
Founding Member

Mr. Max...oh so bad..Since the trend is better handling...Cars, Trucks, Bikes of course...Then lets get Mr. Max on a Diet...say 100/lbs or 120/lbs....Suspension..Can we say Showa...shorten the wheel base a bit...

Keep the beast look and engine...squeek a few more horses.. for the crazies...

And watch em sell...

How popular would the Mustang be if we did not change it from 20 years ago..???

Common Yamaha....go for it....
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 12:44 PM   #100
ikonoklass
Founding Member

The new Rocket III will ride roughshod all over the V-Max, and very affordably.