Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-15-2003, 06:01 PM   #11
staff
Registered Member

Default Re: Arai XD Helmet

"Does anyone make a removable visor that fits other helmets?"

Why Yes indeed someone does. It' called the "Super Visor" and MO reviewed it a couple months ago. Click HERE to read our review.
staff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2003, 01:47 AM   #12
nicky
Founding Member

Hey guys

Cool helmet, but hardly new. They have been available in Japan for over 5 years.
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 11:44 AM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Nice helmet, but $400?!?

A friend of mine bought a Nolan off the internet for a good price, way below $200. He says it's substantially lighter than his HJC amd a very nice helmet.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:23 PM   #14
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: You forgot another model, Sean

Funny your nose is brown too longride.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 01:22 PM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I should have mentioned it only comes in one size that Arai calls "mis-fit."
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 02:05 PM   #16
KPaulCook
Banned

You are a marketing genius. No wonder you sell all of that over priced health insurance.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 04:09 PM   #17
quickbrit
Founding Member

Good revue Uncle Sean,

However, one notable thing about this helmet worth mentioning, is the fact that it's perfect for someone who wears glasses...

MX Goggles fog with no real option to clear them (and keep them clear) without taking your hands off the bars...

A minor crack of the XD visor is enough to keep the visor fog-free.

Just my 2c's

MikeE
Old 11-19-2003, 09:46 AM   #18
alaskaMike
Founding Member

I'm riding (when the snow melts) a dual-purpose bike. I like the concept of this helmet, but am concerned about the lack of airflow through the chin bar. I would like a similar helmet with the compromise (street vs. off-road) oriented more in the direction of off-road,and about half the price of this model. HJC, are you listening?
alaskaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 12:33 PM   #19
banda
Founding Member

There's a brilliant picture attached to the article of Matt Pursley (AMA 343) backing it in to a left-hander.

Matt rides like that ALL THE TIME! I should know, I have to compete against him in our local supermotard series.

The helmet is an interesting curiousity. I wouldn't use it for supermoto racing for the precise reason given in the article. When I'm racing, I get to huffinf and puffing, and a visor just fogs. It's dirt helmets for me!
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 05:04 PM   #20
itsings
Founding Member

WOW

If it truely had comparable street manners to most other street helmets without the huge visor's. Than other helmet manufacturers need to get their butts in gear and start making street helmets with frigen visors!!!!

How many times have we all had our eyes burned out of our heads from having to ride into the sunset on the way home from work during the short days of winter? And I would assume it would be awsome during rain as well, I know the visor on my old MX helmet did a pretty decent job of keeping the major downpour off my gogles if I titled the helmet just right.

I have used stick on visors before with extremely lame results. They never seem to attatch solid enough. So they vibrate if there at the wrong angle. And they tend to suddenly fly off your helmet at inoportune times. Which is really dangerous cause you pretty much can't help the flinch/wince/look behind you reaction which is not a good thing when your haulin A on the Freeway!!!

I agree with most on this thread. Sure Arai makes some great helmets. But you can definitly get just as good a helmet for half the price 90% of the time. With all helmets whether they cost a hundred dollars or eight hundred dollars. You have to find the one that fits your head. AND buy it from someone that has an exchange program. So if it fit in the shop but kills half an hour down the road you have some recourse.

Hopefully other makers of motorcycle helms will get in on this solidly and permenantly installed areodynamic visor action. AND while there at it why can't we have both a clear and a tinted visor on the helmet at the same time. So we could have the tint flipped down ontop of the clear one during the day, a flip and then the clear that was underneath the rest of the night. AND of course a visor, which would stablize and protect the tinted sheild while it was up, and to deflect the sun and rain when they become visual obstructions...BECAUSE I am sick of being stuck with tint during the night. Being blinded in the day, or getting a headache cause my temples are killing me from having my sunglasses shoved inside my helmet where they were never meant to go. And that stick on off tint is cool but it doesn't have the visual clearity of an actual tinted sheild. And it's a pain to bring an extra sheild with you for every friggin little ride you take. Personally I don't plan every rides begining and ending. So it would be nice to have the right sheild/visor helmet combo for every situation ALL the time...

NOW for that I WOULD pay 550.00....
itsings is offline   Reply With Quote