Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-10-2003, 05:22 PM   #81
vcs700s
Founding Member

Default Re: Living with the VFR

My thoughts exactly. How about more articles about motorcycles! I know this is a new thought, but hey, lets give it a try!!
vcs700s is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2003, 04:30 AM   #82
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Default Re: high-tech?

Well said, wrecks!
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 05:30 AM   #83
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Wolf

I still have a CB750F that I rode for about 30,000 miles. It's parked in my folks garage. Loved that bike but had to adjust the tappets about once per week. That's no bull. I rode it from Camp Lejeune to Iowa City and back on Marine leave. I'd have to stop and adjust the valve tappets along the way because as they went out the gas mileage would just go down to about 20 mpg. I could do the adjustment in about 15 to 20 minutes so it was more of a headache then anything. Figured that was the price of owning a bike. Pretty much just ride my Harley and change the oil every 3000 and tires when they need them. I've got 34,640 miles on it and it runs like a top. I've done virtually all the maintenance on it my self. The Japs make good bikes but most of their bikes keep changing too much each year. When you buy one, it's like a computer, your stuck with it until you haul it to the junk heap. Kawasaki seems to have their act together with the Concours. Those owners have been able to rely on Kawi to be there for them for a long time. Honda has done that with their Wings but they sure are a plastic covered pig. Anyways, my rear cylinder is just fine. I run Mobil 1 auto 15W50 and have no problems. I notice that you are spouting off second hand info about a cousin and his 900 Custom. He didn't ride it 100K without motor work I'll bet. I always hear or read about someone that knows someone that owns a particular bike that defide the odds and did miraculous mpg, miles, or whatever. Never first hand information, always about someone else. That's call urban legend aka BS. In this case it is your cousin but of course not you.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 06:18 AM   #84
Flickmeister
Registered Member

A little late, but here's my take.....I had one of the first '98 VFRs in the country (serial # 032) and it was the best motorcycle I have ever owned. Nothing went wrong in over 25,000 miles, including several track days. I never had any gripes with the suspension so many complain about. I removed the footpeg feelers and scraped the pegs to within a 1/4" of the rubber while on the track(Bridgestone BT56SS and/or BT010 tires). I thought the LBS worked fabulously. I brake using only the front brake 90% of the time and found the LBS helped settle the bike nicely and prevent extreme front end dive. I also practice max-effort braking using both brakes. This thing just stops fast and hard without any drama. I never could get the rear wheel off the ground, but with enough pressure, the front & rear wheel would lock. Anyone that griped about the system either never tried it or just didn't like the concept. No one in their right mind could find any fault with how it actually performed. Changing the brake fluid involved several more steps than a conventional system, but was a simple procedure if done correctly.

The motor was pretty anemic below 6500 RPM, but it was always smooth and "carburated" perfectly. My stock motor produced 92.5 HP (12,000+ miles with original air filter and plugs). I put on a Staintune high mount slip-on and the HP went to 101.6 with no other mods. You certainly can feel a 9.1 HP difference throughout the rev range. It also added 500 RPM (7 MPH) to the top end, bringing the top speed to over 156 MPH (radar clocked). It produced a fantastic sound, but was far too obnoxious for the street, so it went back to the stock pipe.

The only other mods were raising the handlebars a bit and a double bubble windscreen toward the end of it's tenure.

If it was so great, why did I get rid of it? First, I'm fickle, and second, I was working way to hard keeping up with my buddy on his GSXR1000, so I bought one. Woo-hoo! For my build, the GSXR is as comfortable as the Viffer, has a proper race type suspension and a faster than hell, "holy *****!" motor. Keeping up with my buddy is now a piece of cake. Life is good. Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 07:09 AM   #85
cyclox
Founding Member

Especially now that they're including the hard bags with it. At about $9000 MSRP, that's a good deal.

cyclox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:22 AM   #86
GmonSquared
Founding Member

I think by now everybody knows they're the best all-around bikes ever made. The VFR has been on my kinda-want-one list for about 15 years. Yet I still don't have one. Maybe we're all crazy eh?

I rode on the back of Reg Pridmore's VFR, he was going faster than I ever will. Still probably not going to buy one though, until my trackday days are over. Clearly we have no common sense.

GS.
GmonSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:29 PM   #87
cyclesteve
Registered Member

Default Re: excellent review

Thanks, I will contact them
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:43 PM   #88
cyclesteve
Registered Member

VLAD,

I believe I have seen your VFR at TWO. One of my bikes is a 98 VFR also.I have also had a 750VFR. Ya can't beat em. I shall make a point of finding you at TWO.

Steve

2002 BMW 1150GS Adventure

2001 Suzuki SV650S

1998 Honda VFR800

1993 Suzuki DR350S

1978 Honda CB400T2 Hawk
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:42 PM   #89
mikedard
Founding Member

I have a BMW K1200GT, I have also been waiting for a KTM Duke 990, and waiting , and waiting.
mikedard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:49 PM   #90
mikedard
Founding Member

Default Re: Ruffled feathers?

You "call it like you see it", sounds like your eyes are connected to your mouth. Eyes are only one of the sensory inputs. What happen to the thinking part of your body? A function that should take place before your mouth moves.
mikedard is offline   Reply With Quote