Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-10-2003, 07:33 AM   #71
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Living with the VFR

Good job Vlad. I think the VFRs are rice-rockets with character.

A gear-drive VFR with an aftermarket exhaust is a pleasure for the ears. Now if I could fit a VFR with a dry clutch like my Duc...............
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2003, 07:46 AM   #72
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Thank you
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 09:03 AM   #73
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: Moose Jaw

Just call me one of those tough guys (not a wannabe though, that's reserved for those who ride jap Harley clones). By the way, the 10 speed transmission of the CB900 in question never got past that model. It may have continued with the CB1000 that followed for 1 year but I'm not positive of that. Those that say that Harleys are low tech have their blinders on. Harley burns gas metered by the best fuel injection available. My hog of an Electraglide Classic gets around 50 mpg on the highway and most Valkyries get 25 to maybe 30 mpg. Japs like to shroud their clown bikes in plastic to hide all the ugliness. Beauty is skin deep but ugliness is to the bone or behind the plastic in this case.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 11:27 AM   #74
cyclesteve
Registered Member

Default Re: excellent review

Tell me more about Cycle Canada? Is there a magazine you might compare it to? Any details are appreciated.
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 02:37 PM   #75
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Default Re: Moose Jaw

So you never had a CB900F, you had a CB900 Custom. Might have known. You went from the Harley wannabe bike to "the real deal". Now you have to spout the gospel of Harley and criticize the Japanese invaders. We can really get into talking about the CB900 Custom though. My cousin had one from new and drove it about 100,000 kms. Many of those miles were with a passenger and pulling a trailer. Try that with your Milwaukee iron. What's that sound? The rear cylinder seizing on the Harley. Don't worry, there's lot's and lot's of stock parts or aftermarket ready to fix you up cheap!
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 02:41 PM   #76
wrecks
Founding Member

Default high-tech?

No you're wrong... wannabe tough is accountants and lawyers trailering their harleys to sturgis for the rally. Are you a trailer queen?

Harleys are high-tech? get real. Your cherished fuel injection is an OPTION on most of them. My old ft500 also got very high mileage and was slow.

Sure they may have made small updates out of neccessity over the years to their tired design. Doesn't make it high-tech. There is another company that nurses an old design but still manages to stay on the cutting edge. A little engineering firm in Stuttgart, you may have heard of them.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 02:56 PM   #77
wrecks
Founding Member

Default Re: excellent review

There is no magazine you can compare it to. It covers all aspects of motorcycling. Cutting-edge supersports, big-inch cruisers, dirtbiking, racing, touring, dual-sport, shows, even the occasional custom chopper.

Above all the quality of the writing and the editorials are second-to-none. None the over-censored crap you see in american mags (though I'm guilty of picking one up from time to time) Well-rounded magazine for well-rounded riders.

Can you tell I like it? Those fockers should pay me. Only problem is there are only 9 or 10 issues a year. (our canadian season isn't the longest)

Check it out

www.cyclecanadamagazine.net
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 05:07 PM   #78
SuperBill
Founding Member

Great article. Thanks Vlad.
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 05:09 PM   #79
Jexter
Founding Member

Default Re: 100% of sport bike max braking capability is in front

Actually, I was just parroting something I heard from a safety instructor. The one-third braking thing is obviously different depending on how hard you're braking.

What I meant was, why would you only use the front brake in a non-panic situation? You'll just wear out your (front) brakes quicker, and I'm sure the rotor doesn't like to have the whole load on it all the time.
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 05:12 PM   #80
Jexter
Founding Member

Default Re: 100% of sport bike max braking capability is in front

Is every stop that you make a panic stop on clean dry pavement?

I just think it's odd to only use the front brake all (well most) the time. I'm pretty sure that you'll go through more brake pads that way.
Jexter is offline   Reply With Quote